The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pittsburgh receives permission to speak with Utica coach Travis Green

Plum

Scott Arniel is another name that might make sense as a replacement. He was great back in the Manitoba Moose days, and was supposed to interview for HC job in Vancouver before Willie got it. As much as losing Travis Green would be a setback, I think we'd be able to cope with it pretty well.

The Rangers gave Canucks permission to talk to Scott Arniel for the head coach position. He wasn't selected so he's still their associate coach I believe. I don't think he'd take an AHL HC job over associate coach of a team that just made the SCF.

IMO in hindsight Canucks haven't actually developed many amazing prospects (that stayed with us). Sedins, Kesler, Schneider... anyone else?

Not saying Travis Greene is bad but seems other teams have had better luck with development. Still would rather he stay with us then go to Pittsburgh though.

The coaches connected with the Canucks & with the Manitoba Moose, & the Chicago Wolves who've developed...Schneider, Edler, Lack, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Rome, Raymond, Bourdon (deceased), Rypien (deceased), Glass (moved), Grabner (moved), Hodgson (moved)...were Alain Vigneault & Scott Arniel & Craig Mactavish... who all had coaching stints there... and did a great job developing those players....and of course afterward for Vigneault as a long-term Canucks coach.

I believe the Sedins played in Sweden & came straight into the NHL,,.by-passing the farm-system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We are all hearing the murmurings that Desjardins would like to reunite with ex-Canuck, Doug Lidster... who is still with the Dallas organization. Lidster won the '94 Stanley Cup with the Rangers vs his ex-'mates on the Canucks. He had conflicted feelings about that. I think he'd like nothing better than to be part of the coaching staff & the mission that gets Trevor Linden's name on the Cup...not to mention bringing the Cup to VanCity a place that he called home for a decade.

Arniel is likely joining with the Rangers. So - Gulutzan is a logical choice to do be the farm-coach, but I think he likes having his family situated in VAN and would stay - if a position here is offered. This is a whole new organizational dilemma ...& the consequences of NOT choosing Mike Johnston, I guess.

Archived