The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

falls from grace

inkorea

In the last few weeks I have watched Chris Mason, Jeff Woywitka, Glen Metroplolit and a bunch of other ex nhlers play here in Germany. Tonight we get the ex Canuck Matt Pettinger. It is kind of interesting to use these players to attempt to gage the quality of the league.

Jeff Woywitka was so slow it was hard to imagine that he had any nhl experience at all.

The German teams would lose to an ahl team but beat the giants, probably echl level. no salary cap and lots of canadian players who are ex ahl with a few nhl games.

1. i made my user name while in korea, i am not korean or living in korea. Pettinger didnt play but they had a stacked canadian team that beat us 6 to 2. we have a winter classic game next week . playing in the game is ex canuck Alexandre Sulzer

Wow those are a few blast from the past names eh

I was just thinking about that epic Canadian World Junior team from 2005 - the one with Crosby, Carter, Richards, etc.

Not all the players on that roster ended up making it in the NHL. Both goalies are out - Glass and Beauchemin, and a handful of skaters are in europe as well. Tough falls from the limelight of Team Canada

I wouldn't say the attempt here is raising the team quality. I feel it's more like putting some names you can recognise better in a world scale, you know? For instance, try to watch the SM-Liiga and really get involved. Unless you're quite obsessed with Finnish hockey, you'll be turned off by the lack of international names.

Having those guys is probably a good move, even if they're just 4th liners.

Archived