The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jiří Šlégr Thread

Slegr

I can appreciate Murzyn's contributions to the team, but am also reminded about his limitations and faults. Namely, he was slower than dry camel snot, had no offensive upside and couldn't fight even though he tried too much.

I believe Slegr just wasn't given a big enough chance to prove himself with the Canucks. To me, it's no coincidence that teams like the Penguins and Red Wings picked him up after the Canucks. Scotty Bowman could see talent, and it helped him win one of his cups.

I don't think he was ever considered a strategic piece of either Pens or the Wings roster more of a 6-7 "D". Murzyn you're right about his speed and his pivots were like a forward more than a D but he was always on the right side of the play and you had to go through him. Never a great scrapper but never ever turned any one down. One night he and his dance partner skated the entire length of the ice trading punches. I don't think he could play in todays game...but then he was a deterent

Slegr was a solid underrated defenseman for sure. Murzyn was never a Norris candidate, had little to no offensive upside and was not a great but was always willing to fight. He was not a deterrent IMO. In fact many of the old scrappers called him a punching bag because he got into so many fights and almost always took more punches thnan he threw. But he was rock solid positionally to make up for slow feet, and was a big body to go around, he hit hard and had a lot of weight behind him and was a mean SOB in front of our net. Despite not putting up points, I think he was a huge part of the 94 run. I agree with one of the earlier posters that if not for the punishment he dished out in round 1, the Flames probably would have beat us. The nice thing about that team is they all contributed what they had, and Murzyn added a lot of toughness to the team.

It amazed me the drama about his dad getting arrested for (heroine) and Jiri not taking the surname Bubla because of it. Man his dad could hit though Whatever happened to our Slovak connection? Jiri was a slick skater I remember.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-12-04/sports/8703310295_1_jiri-bubla-smuggling-world-hockey-championships

Archived