The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D's Decisions lately.

Totes McGoats

WD has done a good job overall, will only get better with time. One small thing I've noticed though that bugs me is that if he pulls the goalie and we get scored on, he still leaves the goalie out, and we occasionally get scored on a 2nd time. Seems relatively pointless to damage the GA further.

WD has done a good job overall, will only get better with time. One small thing I've noticed though that bugs me is that if he pulls the goalie and we get scored on, he still leaves the goalie out, and we occasionally get scored on a 2nd time. Seems relatively pointless to damage the GA further.

If the opposition scores into an empty net increasing the deficit, do the Canucks have a better chance of catching up if they leave the goalie out or put the goalie back in?

I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems logical to think there is a greater chance of catching up with the extra attacker, though the chances get very remote either way.

Does it do the team any greater harm to lose, say, 6-2 instead of 5-2? That was the result of the SJ game when Markstrom was pulled after 3 goals-Canucks pulled Lack with the score 4-2 and the Sharks scored twice into the empty net. If there is any psychological reason, perhaps the players will be less discouraged going forward if they score the last goal still trying to catch up, while it would seem to make no difference whether they give up another empty net goal. Either way the psychological difference is probably going to be really minor.

Perfect example of when to pull the goalie in last nights game. The puck was in the canucks corner with many sharks and canucks trying to get control. The goalie was pulled and the extra man got into the play while the puck was still in the corner. The Canucks do not do a good job of controlling the puck when we're trying to come back from a deficit late in the game so Willie has to wait for similar situations, he can't pull the goalie just because we have possession crossing centre.

I too am scratching my head at the Kennins scratch, What have Mcmillan and Vey done to play ahead of Ronald, especially against a big team like SJ.

I think with the 2nd pp unit he figures he's more worried about getting scored on than scoring so he just wants defensive players out there so they don't give up a shorthanded goal. What other explanation could you have using Hamhuis (0 goals) and (Elmer) Higgins on your regular #2 unit?

Think about it for a minute Hamhuis plays every pp for 30 plus seconds and does not have 1 goal all season.

Perfect example of when to pull the goalie in last nights game. The puck was in the canucks corner with many sharks and canucks trying to get control. The goalie was pulled and the extra man got into the play while the puck was still in the corner. The Canucks do not do a good job of controlling the puck when we're trying to come back from a deficit late in the game so Willie has to wait for similar situations, he can't pull the goalie just because we have possession crossing centre.

I too am scratching my head at the Kennins scratch, What have Mcmillan and Vey done to play ahead of Ronald, especially against a big team like SJ.

I think with the 2nd pp unit he figures he's more worried about getting scored on than scoring so he just wants defensive players out there so they don't give up a shorthanded goal. What other explanation could you have using Hamhuis (0 goals) and (Elmer) Higgins on your regular #2 unit?

Think about it for a minute Hamhuis plays every pp for 30 plus seconds and does not have 1 goal all season.

Maybe he just needs a rest, did that not occur to you? Vey and Mac played well imo.

Maybe he just needs a rest, did that not occur to you? Vey and Mac played well imo.

I think he's a bit banged up from the collision he had in the Boston game and I agree that Vey and Mac played pretty good. Definitely Mac's best game with the Nucks so far.

A rest! He's only played 10 games here.

Yes but did you see how he has been playing.

Willie didn't say he needed a rest exactly. He said that the rookies were getting confidence and trying too hard to make things happen. However I don't think a rest will go amiss with Kenins, the way he plays the game.

Yes but did you see how he has been playing.

Willie didn't say he needed a rest exactly. He said that the rookies were getting confidence and trying too hard to make things happen. However I don't think a rest will go amiss with Kenins, the way he plays the game.

I agree .. Kennins looked a little 'worn' the last two games .. good call by Willie ... Bo seems to know how to pace himself and still looks strong ...

Archived