The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) (VAN-EDM)

Rumor is the Oilers are interested in Cam Talbot, and are willing to part with their first round pick (11th overall). Now I'm assuming this is not a straight up deal, in that would be beyond dumb. I also see little reason why Cam Talbot would be worth much more than Eddie Lack. Benning and Chiarelli also have the Boston connection. A see at least a possible deal being possible.

To Edmonton

Eddie Lack

Nicklas Jensen

Ryan Stanton

To Vancouver

1st round pick (16th overall)

3rd round pick (63rd overall) (potentially a 4th. 93rd overall)

Why Edmonton does this.

• Lack: Edmonton is trying to contend sooner rather than later. They want a youngish goalie, that can step between the pipes as early as next season and has shown has some positive upside potential. That's why they want Cam Talbot. Well, Eddie Lack is similar to Cam Talbot in age and size. Both have shown they can handle backup goaltender and can most likely start on EDM. He can hop right in and help a playoff push immediately/
  • Jensen: Nicklas Jensen Edmtonton is looking for size to complement their young core. Jensen isn't exactly a body bruiser, but he provides size and speed up along the wing. The kid played better at the end of the year, but honestly, a change in scenery could help. He has all the tools, the skating, the puck handling, the shooting, size, etc. he just needs consistency. He is still however, a prospect much further along in development than a 16th overall pick.
  • Ryan Stanton: provides much needed defense and physicality on the backend. I personally find Ryan Stanton to be very underrated. Ryan Stanton can play the role of bottom pairing defefensman very well.

Why Vancouver does this

• First round pick: Draft picks. Duh. 2 first round picks 3 years in a row goes a long way for youth movement. Recovering the third we lost will also go to add to the pool. I would use the 16th overall to target either Kyle Connor or Travis Konecny. (Connor at 16th would be a steal) And with the 23rd I would target the best defensman available, Daniel Sprong, or Brock Boeser.
  • Third round pick. (possibly 4th): You never know who will be available by the third round. Still getting another pick back would be great for us. I would suggest getting another defencman or right winger. If a 3rd is too valuable, their 4th round pick is pretty much a late third anyway.

All of this is predicated on the thought that they see Eddie Lack with around as much value as Cam Talbot, which I do. I see no reason why two GMs with new teams, (Do you still consider Benning new? Anyway) who already have history with each other, making a deal that benefits both sides.

To summarize. Edmonton gets more playoff ready. With Connor McDavid coming, EDM is going to want to capitalize on his cheap contract and go for an immediate push. In this deal they address many issues. They get a youngish goaltender ready to step between the pipes as a starter today, who has size and can still develop with the younger group. A prospect with size, speed, and scoring ability on the wings, who can honestly be NHL ready in a year or 2 if he either rounds out his game or develops consistency. And a 25 year old bottom pairing defensman who provides steady defense and physical play. Edmonton addresses every need in one move. Vancouver adds 2 draft picks putting our prospect pool over the top.

Thoughts?

(Putting more thought into it. Edmonton may want Frank Corrado over Jensen. I would be fine with making that replacement, but that would just mean we need to use one of our picks on a defensman.)

That's a lot to give up for a 16th overall pick who won't be ready for a long time. If we're getting a 3rd/4th round pick back, that's got a very small chance of ever becoming a top NHL player anyway.

So essentially we're trading away a current goalie capable of 40 games, and may become a really good starter next season or the year after, or may just bust + a forward in Jensen who has shown he can score, albeit inconsistently, in the NHL, but has never had a true chance to make a big jump up + a defenceman who had one of our best +/- all season long despite playing shocking minutes for a #16 pick that may become a top-4 defenceman or top-6 forward, but not for at least another 3-5 years time.

This team needs to contend in around 3-5 years time, but I just think that Jensen needs another chance. He's never going to get legit minutes with Burrows, Vbrata and Higgins hogging ice time, and he does have an NHL-ready wrist shot and size. All the kid needs is to get some games in consistently so he can learn consistency himself. I don't think we should give up on him yet.

Personally, I don't see Stanton fitting in at Edmonton based on who they potentially have coming up from the minors next season, but I do agree that Stanton is underrated. I'd say Lack has the slight edge over Talbot too just simply because Lack has shown himself off to the league more, and Edmonton has seen Eddie a lot more so they have a better idea at what they are getting out of him. Plus with the 16th pick that is supposed to be where the PWFs and physical defenders are slotted at which is Vancouver's top priority right now. I do see potential with this deal though and as you said, that "Boston Connection" will probably grow a bit of a trade relationship with VAN and EDM.

Isnt Stanton a FA? I would think Edmonton wants a solid NHL defenceman, I would give up Edler for Edmonton's 16th and 2nd round pick. Keep Lack and ship him to the East for a 2nd rounder. Corrado and Clendening are ready to step up

Stanton is a RFA this year. You can trade rights to RFAs. and H*ll new I am not with you with Trading Edler. He's our top defencman. If we are trading Edler, we better get a HEFTY return. 16th overall and a 2nd round pick is not nearly enough. Hamhuis is declining because of his age, as well as Bieksa to an even further rate. You ship out Edler, after this bounce back season, and our already weak d core, could possible be the weakest in the league. Bieksa is on his way out, if not this year, then next year when his contract ends. Weber's spot is far from guaranteed. Thats 2 right handed defencman spots that will open up in a year or 2. Clendening and Corrado will be fine. The absolute last thing we should do is move Edler.

Personally, I don't see Stanton fitting in at Edmonton based on who they potentially have coming up from the minors next season, but I do agree that Stanton is underrated. I'd say Lack has the slight edge over Talbot too just simply because Lack has shown himself off to the league more, and Edmonton has seen Eddie a lot more so they have a better idea at what they are getting out of him. Plus with the 16th pick that is supposed to be where the PWFs and physical defenders are slotted at which is Vancouver's top priority right now. I do see potential with this deal though and as you said, that "Boston Connection" will probably grow a bit of a trade relationship with VAN and EDM.

I would also personally give Lack the slight edge over Talbot. I won't deny his numbers are better. But I would argue that is more due to the team he had in front of him, rather than him personally. Lack as also showed that when he has to take the reigns of a number 1, he can, at least for short periods of time. He just needs the opportunity. I see your point about Stanton, but I just disagree. Fair though. Benning and Chiarelli are friends. Vancouver has pieces EDM needs, and EDM has pieces VAN needs. Even in the same division, I don't see why they wouldn't make a deal that mutually benefits both teams, and let each other duke it out in the playoffs if possible.

Archived