The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Star Wars: Force Awakens proper trailer released

GLASSJAW

Saw it yesterday and it was good BUT the plot line is WAY too similar to IV-VI ... every other scene I was thinking to myself, I've seen this.  

Don't even think I need to cover this with spoiler but

Spoiler

Really, StarKiller Base has one vulnerable spot and you have to hit it to destroy the whole thing ??!!   So a fleet of X wing fighters go in to hit it with everything they got ... c'mon now JJ, you couldn't come up with something a little different ... stop being so lazy!

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Adam Driver is an interesting looking guy.  I don't really have a problem with his look and character.

Think about.  The suave, handsome seductive villain would have been a VERY cookie cutter character, no?

If you are referring to Anakin, Hayden Christiansen is a good looking guy but his character was never 'seductive' and he wasn't a villain until the end.

This casting choice is unique in its own way, yes. I just feel that there are opportunities for so much more deeper psychological stuff that Star Wars never got into.

1 hour ago, Neversummer said:

Saw it yesterday and it was good BUT the plot line is WAY too similar to IV-VI ... every other scene I was thinking to myself, I've seen this.  

Hide contents

Really, StarKiller Base has one vulnerable spot and you have to hit it to destroy the whole thing ??!!   So a fleet of X wing fighters go in to hit it with everything they got ... c'mon now JJ, you couldn't come up with something a little different ... stop being so lazy!

Likely pushed onto JJ and Lawrence Kasdan by the studio. The whole thing is a calculated money grab.

2 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Reveal hidden contents

it was obviously intentional. this is what soft reboots do. this is what is being done in almost every movie series out there right now, from jurassic park to mad max to batman/spider man or comic universes. now Disney will use that narrative and its branch-off characters to lead into new movies. 

26 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

it was obviously intentional. this is what soft reboots do. this is what is being done in almost every movie series out there right now, from jurassic park to mad max to batman/spider man or comic universes. now Disney will use that narrative and its branch-off characters to lead into new movies. 

A little intentional to remind you of IV-VI is fine but I'm sorry .... WAY WAY too much.  I expect a bit more creativity for all the hype.  

6 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

If you are referring to Anakin, Hayden Christiansen is a good looking guy but his character was never 'seductive' and he wasn't a villain until the end.

This casting choice is unique in its own way, yes. I just feel that there are opportunities for so much more deeper psychological stuff that Star Wars never got into.

No, I'm referring to Adam Driver.

Watched it before Christmas and I have to agree with some previous comments that much of it felt a little too familiar (speaking of the "1 weak spot in the super weapon" plot...ID4 2 is coming out soon, we'll probably see it again in that ;)). There was certainly a lot of fan service going on in the movie, but I think they just expected that that's what people would want. 

I really liked the casting, especially Adam Driver. I completely disagree that Rey should find him physically attractive, I don't think it would help the plot at all. In fact, I'd rather them not try to force some sort of cheesy love story into this. The whole Finn/Rey thing was starting to irritate me...the "You're the first person to look at me that way" line almost made me snort.

I saw an interesting fan theory about Rey being a Kenobi as opposed to being Luke's kid.  (http://hellogiggles.com/theory-rey-star-wars/) I would much prefer that if they did feel necessary to explain the Force being strong in her, her being a Skywalker would be much too predictable and, IMO, lazy writing. 

Archived