The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Star Wars: Force Awakens proper trailer released

GLASSJAW

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And a certain group of self-proclaimed "hardcore fans" were going to complain.

That's the way with everything. People with too high of expectations will always be disappointed, and people with lower expectations will always be pleased. Welcome to life, can't make everyone happy.

And most Star Wars fans have low expectations...

On 12/23/2015 at 11:33 AM, Hugor Hill said:

Ok but good enough to beat to sith deciple??

You know what really sucked about the final fight? At the beginning, dude can wave his arm and send Rey flying into the tree and knocked her unconscious. Somehow, 5 minutes later, she beats him. Like, what's the logic in that? This isn't a 'fluke'. This is completely inconsistent with the movie's own reality.

I had the same thoughts as you about this fight scene when I first watched the movie. But after the second viewing (yes, I went twice in 3 days) it does make sense considering that Kylo Ren was shot in the side/gut by Chewbacca moments earlier. There are numerous times throughout TFA that demonstrate how powerful Chewwie's weapon is - they kinda go out of the way to show this - so Ren is pretty injured prior to the fight with Rey. Then, as the fight goes on, Ren becomes increasingly weaker due to blood loss, etc.

I think this scene highlights how impatient, reckless and arrogant Ren is - which is certainly a Skywalker trait - in that he engages Rey and Finn even though he's injured.

1 hour ago, babych said:

I had the same thoughts as you about this fight scene when I first watched the movie. But after the second viewing (yes, I went twice in 3 days) it does make sense considering that Kylo Ren was shot in the side/gut by Chewbacca moments earlier. There are numerous times throughout TFA that demonstrate how powerful Chewwie's weapon is - they kinda go out of the way to show this - so Ren is pretty injured prior to the fight with Rey. Then, as the fight goes on, Ren becomes increasingly weaker due to blood loss, etc.

I think this scene highlights how impatient, reckless and arrogant Ren is - which is certainly a Skywalker trait - in that he engages Rey and Finn even though he's injured.

Yeah this totally makes sense in real life, or in TV and movies that at least make an effort to portray reality, of which Star Wars is totally not one of them.

But ok I'll settle for this explanation.

Your last point though is interesting. I keep forgetting that Leia is also of Skywalker blood.

18 hours ago, Jaimito said:

"It's true, all of it".  that's the scene as emotionally involved as I'm your father one.

I liked the movie.  2hr is a bit rushed with all the back story.  Maybe an extended edition will come out on ultra Blu-ray.

I didn't like Snoke, looked like a giant Orc from LOTR.

Fischer was weak. Should have killed her off instead. 

BB8 was awesome. Good thing they kept that motor mouth C3PO and R2 to a minimum. 

Totally agree with everything you said.  Really enjoyed the movie too.  I could barely recognize Carrie F actually.  Her face/mouth didn't want to move..  botox, maybe.  She could have had fewer scenes. 

Surprised that Rey and Finn were so likeable.  The right amount of character flaws so as to not be paragons or annoying. 

Appreciated the comedic one liners and reactions scattered throughout so we didn't have to rely only on Han scenes for that.  Hated the extended dramatic looks though.. which leads me to Mark H.  Thought he would have had more of a role.  Does anyone know if they were filming other star wars movies concurrently?

15 hours ago, Mainly Mattias said:

Appreciated the comedic one liners and reactions scattered throughout so we didn't have to rely only on Han scenes for that.  Hated the extended dramatic looks though.. which leads me to Mark H.  Thought he would have had more of a role.  Does anyone know if they were filming other star wars movies concurrently?

I read online somewhere that Hamill initially had a larger role in TFA, but it was hard to develop the other characters properly as any scene with Hamill in it tended to focus only on the Luke storyline. As a result, they made the story in TFA about the search for Luke, which allowed for Finn and Rey and the rest to flesh out their characters.

I don't know if this is true or not but it makes a certain amount of sense. Either way, I did like the direction Abrams went in terms of setting up the next two movies but not at the cost of TFA.

Watched it on Wednesday. Not a SW fan, so predictably, I though it was about a 6.5/10. First half was incredibly entertaining and fun, but as soon as they stopped focusing on Poe, Finn, and Rey and started going back to old characters, I felt the movie was less interesting as time went on. Though, going back to told characters was necessary to bridge the gap from the old to the new.

And while I'm not a big fan nor was I excited to see TFA, I'm really exited to see the next one, due to the fact that Rian Johnson is writing/directing.

Everyone keeps mentioning how they didn't like that Rey managed to put up a fight against Ren but I thought it was very stupid that Finn lasted more than five seconds against him.

The way I saw it was that Ren was taking it easy on Rey because he wanted to subdue her and perhaps take her back for brainwashing. Plus Rey has the force ability and she's good at hand to hand combat. Finn on the other hand was shown that he preferred a blaster and he doesn't have any special ability. I don't get how he lasted against him even with the shot to Ren's stomach.

On 12/23/2015 at 10:50 PM, GLASSJAW said:

She isn't just "some girl" any more than Luke was "some boy." She is identified as being strong with the force, and she has a few early fight scenes which show she's obviously a competent fighter with her staff and supremely athletic. it's not like Luke had extensive light sabre training before fighting Vader or anything. hell, it's not like Luke had much training at all - that was a major point to Empire Strikes Back...

and A New Hope concludes with Luke being spoken to by a ghost, and Han Solo coming out of nowhere and saving him at the last second. Empire Strikes Back begins with 40 minutes of fluke after fluke after fluke: the meteor scene, the garbage dump scene, etc. In Return of the Jedi, the Death Star is blown up again--coincidentally--at the exact same time Luke finishes his arc and is making his way out, etc. Seems like if we're going to forgive some, we should probably forgive them all...

Well said

I can't believe there are knocks on Rey. I loved the character and loved the actress. 
I look forward to more of her.

It should also be pointed out that it isn't apparent that Kylo is top notch himself. He isn't Darth Vader or Darth Maul. He is a wannabe.

It kind of bugged me that Captain Phasma just dropped out of the movie.

Can't wait to watch it again. I think I will enjoy it more the second time. The first time was just mostly spent being in awe of watching a &^@#ing STAR WARS movie again.

7 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Well said

I can't believe there are knocks on Rey. I loved the character and loved the actress. 

It should also be pointed out that it isn't apparent that Kylo is top notch himself. He isn't Darth Vader or Darth Maul. He is a wannabe.

Can't wait to watch it again. I think I will enjoy it more the second time. The first time was just mostly spent being in awe of watching a &^@#ing STAR WARS movie again.

Agreed with the last paragraph times a million. The movie itself was very good in my opinion. But when the LucasArts logo came up, then the Star Wars Logo, then the words and the music... goosebumps. It was such a surreal experience. 

On 12/23/2015 at 9:49 PM, Robongo said:

I was definitely entertained, however there were far too many plot holes and I felt Harrison Ford really carried the movie.

Agreed... honestly, with no Han Solo  I'm probably not going to bother with the next 2 movies, like whats the point?

17 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Well said

To be fair I wasn't knocking on Rey. She is an interesting character, and very attractive, looks just like Keira Knightley (who coincidentally was Natalie Portman's character's handmaiden/double in episodes 1). Her and Finn are bright spots of the movie.

I was knocking on the scriptwriting, specifically its' willingness to abandon it's internal logic to manufacture a happy ending, and its' cookie cut approach to episode 4. Sith dude can send Rey flying to the tree but yet chooses not to use his force to avoid a defeat. The script was probably purposely dumbed down by Disney cuz we know Lawrence Kasdan can write better.

A much better ending would've been the star destroying canon firing off successfully even after Oscar Isaac did his thing and thought he blew is up, killing off Leia and co. Millennium Falcon and X-Wings flew away in retreat leaving Rey and Finn behind. Rey and Finn get defeated by Sith dude. With Finn passed out the Sith dude tortures Rey mentally and physically to join the dark side. Rey refuses to the bitter end. At the last moment Luke Skywalker shows up, so completely overpowering Sith dude that he runs away in fear. Luke rescues Rey and Finn and fly away on his ship.

Now THAT would've produced a sequel that I would look forward to.

Also, the casting of the Sith dude is completely ridiculous. Adam Driver looks like a former high school outcast who continued to be an outcast and hung around at the local 7-11 til 24 years of age buying smokes for underage teens. Sith dude should've been handsome. He should've been everything Finn isn't. Rey should find him physically attractive so to create some odd master/slave sexual dynamics between them.

Watched the movie recently and I definitely enjoyed it more than any of the prequels.  I thought the casting was pretty good and it was great to see Han Solo in action again.

I'm an older Star Wars fan and have watched all the movies to death and read most of the EU (which was pretty much garbage).  Glad they are going in this direction and am excited for Episode 8 where we can get a little more Luke Skywalker action.

Edit: Episode 7= Episode 8

6 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Also, the casting of the Sith dude is completely ridiculous. Adam Driver looks like a former high school outcast who continued to be an outcast and hung around at the local 7-11 til 24 years of age buying smokes for underage teens. Sith dude should've been handsome. He should've been everything Finn isn't. Rey should find him physically attractive so to create some odd master/slave sexual dynamics between them.

Adam Driver is an interesting looking guy.  I don't really have a problem with his look and character.

Think about.  The suave, handsome seductive villain would have been a VERY cookie cutter character, no?

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 4:24 PM, Mainly Mattias said:

Totally agree with everything you said.  Really enjoyed the movie too.  I could barely recognize Carrie F actually.  Her face/mouth didn't want to move..  botox, maybe.  She could have had fewer scenes. 

Surprised that Rey and Finn were so likeable.  The right amount of character flaws so as to not be paragons or annoying. 

I thought I heard one of producer mentioned at an event that they are filming Rouge already, one of those side stories that I don't have any clue about.

Hamil will have more to do in Episode 8.  Fans are wondering if Rey is his daughter, or former student, since kids train as Jedi really young.  Then perhaps he put a force spell on her to keep her from remembering in order to save her from Ren, who was killing all his students.  He may have paused R2D2 into hibernation mode in a similar manner. 

Archived