The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Turkey Shoots Down Russian Warplane

nucklehead

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I certainly can however Im on my cell phone. It's pretty well known those are the only 2 nations that could endure a full scale war. Some of you live in the old days that think Britain is a force, actually they have become a joke compared to years ago, much like Canada. Britain is slashing military spending and cutting troop levels to below 90,000.

Actually, it's the state of the Russian military that is well known, provide some sources when your not just on your cell.

25 minutes ago, aliboy said:

The neglect of the Russian armed forces over a prolonged period of time is no secret, plenty of references can be found.  

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/intro.htm

Russia's arsenal is definitely composed of a lot of neglected and outdated equipment, but that doesn't mean that they don't have their fair share of up to date equipment too.

Russia habitually uses the older stuff for fighting in places where they aren't up against a high tech enemy. Ex: Chechnya.

As far as fighter jets go, many of the older planes are actually better at dog fighting (IE fighting other jets) than the modern stuff. The ultra-modern stuff is largely used in roles where you want a plane that can fulfill multiple roles and strike targets on the ground, so they are less specialized for dog fighting. In other words, Russia has hundreds of planes that were designed in the 80 and 90s but totally capable of holding their own against any US equipment.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Based on what you've read. Really? And you can prove without a shadowof a doubt that your information is 100% correct?

I've given you some sources, go out and find some that say different.  The neglect of the Russian military is well know and well established.

9 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I've given you some sources, go out and find some that say different.  The neglect of the Russian military is well know and well established.

Ya but again your sources are Western based with a agenda...

Yes their was a decade of darkness in the Russian military however they still remain the 2nd strongest force on earth. They have been spending big money in recent years and have developed advanced air defenses, subs and their figbter jets are arguably the best in the world.

I never said they could defeat the U.S however without the U.S I think they could conquer half of Europe if not all.

Just now, aliboy said:

The increase in the defence budgets didn't begin until 2008 under the Russian Military Reform program, so that's at least 16 years of neglect. 

Bud you said the end of the Soviet Union till 2000. You said that not me. I said a decade of darkness.

The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 thats 9 years by your own argument 

You also said "much more then a decade" when countering my statement. Now you claim 16 years, is that really "much more then a decade"?

Or is it that you maybe don't know much about Russian politics, history or military?

Searching Western propaganda will not inform you on Russian military strenngths and capabilities. Most Westerners don't even realize the role the Soviet Union played in winning ww2. They played the biggest role and had more nazi soldiers opposing them then the allied forces combined. 

Western media at its best...

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Bud you said the end of the Soviet Union till 2000. You said that not me. I said a decade of darkness.

The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 thats 9 years by your own argument 

You also said "much more then a decade" when countering my statement. Now you claim 16 years, is that really "much more then a decade"?

Or is it that you maybe don't know much about Russian politics, history or military?

Searching Western propaganda will not inform you on Russian military strenngths and capabilities. Most Westerners don't even realize the role the Soviet Union played in winning ww2. They played the biggest role and had more nazi soldiers opposing them then the allied forces combined. 

Western media at its best...

The facts are the facts Bud, it's was at least 16 years of neglect and the Russian military is in the state that it's in which is well known. I'm very much aware of Russia's part in WWII. 

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

The facts are the facts Bud, it's was at least 16 years of neglect and the Russian military is in the state that it's in which is well known. I'm very much aware of Russia's part in WWII. 

The state that its in?

You mean can defeat any Country outside the U.S and if against the U.s can equally end the World with them. We agree...

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The state that its in?

You mean can defeat any Country outside the U.S and if against the U.s can equally end the World with them. We agree...

With Nukes, I agree, without Nukes, they get their butts kicked by Turkey.

Russia has two key military advantages over the U.S., despite the huge difference in military budget.

Firstly it spends its military budget a hell of a lot more efficiently.

They'll be receiving new weapons systems across to board in the next decade while the U.S. will be mainly stuck with upgrading ageing gear from the Reagan era because they screwed up or cancelled so many replacement programs over the last 25 years.

Also they still put a lot of money into training to fight an actual well equipped military and not just 3th world militias as the U.S. does.

Secondly, probably the most important, they aren't led by a bunch of Woodstock and Studio 54 products like their Western counterparts...

Archived