The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UTICA COMETS THROWBACK JERSEY

granpappy

14 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Too soon... :sniff: :(

But no, it's not. We just wore our throwback '94 jerseys, and we've been wearing jerseys with an homage to the pre-NHL days (the Vancouver wordmark) for a while now.

i know . . . me thinks we slowly circling in on, wait for it:  johnny canuck

1 hour ago, granpappy said:

i just noticed these throwbacks that utica has worn.  red and blue with 'comets' on the front and obviously styled after the early whl canuck jersey.  i wonder now if this is a precursor to the canucks unveiling of a johnny canuck jersey for the big club?

Hey Granpappy,

I noticed that too. I posted those WHL Canucks jerseys on the Utica Comets' FB page. Comet fans were impressed. 

As for Johnny Canuck, in back-to-back Saturdays prior to last week, TSN 1040 had polls on Canuck logos. On Feb 6, the question was, "What should be the Canucks' primary mark by 2020?" and on Feb 13, the question was "What is your favourite Canucks logo?" Johnny Canuck, out of four choices, was the unanimous choice both times and the orca was dead last both times.

Both David Pratt and Don Cherry, recently, have said that it's time for Johnny Canuck to be the primary identity of this franchise. 

Keep the blue, green and white, though. 

3 hours ago, granpappy said:

i just noticed these throwbacks that utica has worn.  red and blue with 'comets' on the front and obviously styled after the early whl canuck jersey.  i wonder now if this is a precursor to the canucks unveiling of a johnny canuck jersey for the big club?

They were throw back jerseys worn by the 1963-64 Clinton Comets Eastern Hockey League championship team. Clinton is a small village outside of Utica and the inspiration for the Comets name today. Rob Esche is very respectful of the hockey history in the Utica area and even asked permission from former members of the 1960's era Comets players still living in the area before adopting the Comets name again.

The game last Saturday was Comets heritage night celebrating 90 years of hockey in Clinton and Utica.

3 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Hey Granpappy,

I noticed that too. I posted those WHL Canucks jerseys on the Utica Comets' FB page. Comet fans were impressed. 

As for Johnny Canuck, in back-to-back Saturdays prior to last week, TSN 1040 had polls on Canuck logos. On Feb 6, the question was, "What should be the Canucks' primary mark by 2020?" and on Feb 13, the question was "What is your favourite Canucks logo?" Johnny Canuck, out of four choices, was the unanimous choice both times and the orca was dead last both times.

Both David Pratt and Don Cherry, recently, have said that it's time for Johnny Canuck to be the primary identity of this franchise. 

Keep the blue, green and white, though. 

the good thing is the canucks already have and use what would be a quality jc logo within their organization right now:  unabashedly, my moniker.  it is in the training room and various other internal areas.  with a nice uni design, as don cherry says, we would have a great . . . uh uh debate time

Archived