The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gudbranson: Here to make game miserable for opps top players *Updated

Positive Canuck

On June 4, 2016 at 0:19 AM, DeNiro said:

He also said that he was deployed in a very specific way in Florida and that guys like Ekblad, Campbell, and Kulikov were given the powerplay side of things.

Not saying he's all of a sudden going to light the world on fire, but I wouldn't mind seeing him given some powerplay time. It's not like any of our D last year got it done on the PP. His shot is harder than anyone we currently have on the back end. It couldn't hurt.

I feel like  if he and Hutton works out and he gets some powerplay time, he would be able to get 20 points which would be solid.

Hutton desperately needed a sturdy strong stay at home defenceman last season. He was floundering a bit with Weber/Bartkowski and looked decent when paired with Sbisa at times. Gudbranson is essentially a rich man's Sbisa.

That pairing has some great potential. IMO they could do really well, because Hutton as the puck mover has Gudbranson to play physical and safe.

On the flipside they could be BRUTAL defensively if Gudbranson goes out looking for the big hit and leaves his position. He has to play safe and let Hutton really free-wheel. If he does that then we've got a very serious 1a 1b pairing situation going on and I wouldn't be surprised if Hutton and Gudbranson are our first pairing by the end of the season or start of next year.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hutton desperately needed a sturdy strong stay at home defenceman last season. He was floundering a bit with Weber/Bartkowski and looked decent when paired with Sbisa at times. Gudbranson is essentially a rich man's Sbisa.

That pairing has some great potential. IMO they could do really well, because Hutton as the puck mover has Gudbranson to play physical and safe.

On the flipside they could be BRUTAL defensively if Gudbranson goes out looking for the big hit and leaves his position. He has to play safe and let Hutton really free-wheel. If he does that then we've got a very serious 1a 1b pairing situation going on and I wouldn't be surprised if Hutton and Gudbranson are our first pairing by the end of the season or start of next year.

I agree with the first part of your post, but where and why would you believe that they could be brutal defensively?  Nothing I have seen from either player leads me to believe that as a possibility.  Anything is possible, but it's not Sbisa paired with Weber, that has the potential to be a brutal pairing, oh wait, it was.

Gudbranson has a sound d game and was pairied with puck movers before.  He doesn't have the rap of going out of his way to make hits, unlike Ballard did, or Sbisa has done.  I think we can just be happy that our second rounder from this year will have an immediate impact on our roster.  

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I agree with the first part of your post, but where and why would you believe that they could be brutal defensively?  Nothing I have seen from either player leads me to believe that as a possibility.  Anything is possible, but it's not Sbisa paired with Weber, that has the potential to be a brutal pairing, oh wait, it was.

Gudbranson has a sound d game and was pairied with puck movers before.  He doesn't have the rap of going out of his way to make hits, unlike Ballard did, or Sbisa has done.  I think we can just be happy that our second rounder from this year will have an immediate impact on our roster.  

Agreed.  The thing about Gudbranson, not that I've seen that much of him yet, is that he is supposedly smart as well as physical.  If that's true, then that's a deadly combination.  I'm so looking forward to seeing him play.  I love all the tweets from the OP.  He sure says the right things, if he can put that into play that's exactly what we need and it will help the entire team play with more confidence. GCG!

Archived