The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Utica Eligibility ?

Caniners77

Thread will likely get locked or moved. I'll answer quickly. 

The CHL and NHL have a transfer agreement. If a player under 20 years of age on a CHL team, who's rights are owned by an NHL team fails to make said NHL club, they are to report back to the CHL. There is an exception with overagers (or players that will be 21 by season's end) that they can be assigned to the AHL affiliate assuming they make that club.

Recent Canuck examples:

Last year Cederholm and Stewart were AHL eligible, though neither made that squad. In the case of Stewart, he reported back to Junior for an overage season.

Eligible for this condition next year:

Abols (2016 7th round)

Neill (2015 5th round)

Contrary to what most believe around here, Juolevi IS NOT AHL eligible next season, as his European rights were not loaned to the CHL. For him, it's NHL/CHL or overseas. 

In other words, all the CHL drafted players (even at 19) will have one more year of eligibility in junior. There's the option around Juolevi, but don't expect to see anyone else in Utica this year (or even him probably).

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Thread will likely get locked or moved. I'll answer quickly. 

The CHL and NHL have a transfer agreement. If a player under 20 years of age on a CHL team, who's rights are owned by an NHL team fails to make said NHL club, they are to report back to the CHL. There is an exception with overagers (or players that will be 21 by season's end) that they can be assigned to the AHL affiliate assuming they make that club.

Recent Canuck examples:

Last year Cederholm and Stewart were AHL eligible, though neither made that squad. In the case of Stewart, he reported back to Junior for an overage season.

Eligible for this condition next year:

Abols (2016 7th round)

Neill (2015 5th round)

Contrary to what most believe around here, Juolevi IS NOT AHL eligible next season, as his European rights were not loaned to the CHL. For him, it's NHL/CHL or overseas. 

To add to the above.

AHL age is defined differently than draft/ELC age.   For ELC - it's the age on 15 September while for the AHL eligibility it's the age reached in the year.  

Reason why Shinkaruk was able to play in the AHL in his draft + 1.  He is born in October so for ELC purposes he was age 19 but for the AHL he was 20.  His contract was able to slide that year as he did not play 10 NHL games and he will be an RFA only in summer 2018.  

Gaunce who started in the AHL at the same time as him was in his draft + 2, and unlike Shinkaruk will be RFA in summer 2017.  

24 minutes ago, bp79 said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-add-top-pairing-blue-liner-juolevi-5th-overall/  based on this I think u are wrong. Even Benning said on 1040 he eligible  for utica, he sees  him with us or with london. I always wondered y honka was in the ahl but i guess if ur under contract over seas they can loan u toother leagues  

Thomas Drance who wrote that article also tweeted that Juolevi is not AHL eligible.

Check out @ThomasDrance's Tweet:

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Thomas Drance who wrote that article also tweeted that Juolevi is not AHL eligible.

Check out @ThomasDrance's Tweet:

Thnx kinda would have been a decent option. if he bulks up a bit and does well, you think he gets a 9 game shot? not sure if hunter has more to teach this guy.

just for fun i looked at all d chosen in the top 7 since 08. Majority  came straight to the dance, except college players. it was at least 70% b4 08 most went back

Archived