The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

3 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Considering they've time and again flubbed distribution that was physical or digital, they shouldn't be shunning anyone on any front. 

Also, if they were to actually do that, it would be so many different kinds of stupid. Both for the consumer, and them.

They've done it before.  We'll see soon enough if they do it again.

I see lots and lots of potential, but that presentation just left a massive pile of question marks for me. Was there a single definitive title set for launch except Zelda? I guess there was also that 1, 2 Switch thing and Splatoon 2 or whatever, but I doubt I would pay more than a few dollars for the latter, and wouldn't pay a dime for the former. Did they even say Skyrim would be a launch title?

Most of the titles that excited me most were Square or Atlus titles that may not even see a North American release. I can't speak Japanese, so the region lock thing doesn't really help.

2 hours ago, Mimerez said:

Listed at 400$ CAD. Time to go ahead and sell some stuff...

outrageous. the pro controller is listed at $70 USD. then add on the Zelda game which is probably what 80 CDN?

insane cost for a product completely hinged on Zelda for literally months (as far as we know)

• Upvote 1

Even after the 450$ price tag with tax, I still woke up a little earlier for the 9AM PST pre-ordering time on Amazon. Pre-orders finished in like, 30 seconds so if I don't like it I'll just sell it when Nintendo (inevitably) releases like 3 of them to the world.

Edited by Mimerez

Here's a Forbes reporter's take on the release....  He is pretty much saying what the gaming media and Nintendo gamers in general have been worried about, anemic 3rd party game company cooperation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/01/13/why-im-worried-the-nintendo-switch-is-just-another-wii-u/#1b0bcd4351f0

And yet, nothing has really changed. The Wii U ended up with a number of great games in its arsenal by the end, but the console simply did not sell. It wasn’t enough. The Nintendo Switch almost certainly feels like a console that will release 1-3 solid exclusive games a year, and not all that much else, exactly like the Wii U. And while Zelda and Mario wowed last night, where was any hint of a Pokémon game for the Switch, either the rumored Pokémon Stars, the adaptation of the 3DS’s Sun and Moon, or its own unique title? How do you debut a system where the core function is portability, but you don’t explain that your most famous portable franchise is coming to that system?

Also, let’s be clear, this was the most anemic, half-hearted showing of third party support I’ve ever seen, even by Nintendo standards. Outside of Nintendo’s traditional Japanese partners, who did we see? EA, promising FIFA and nothing else. Ubisoft, promising Just Dance, Rayman, Steep, and nothing else. Bethesda, promising Skyrim, a remaster of a five year-old game, one that’s already out for rival systems, and one that won’t even be out until this fall for Switch. And nothing else.

Sold out at all my local stores and online pretty damn fast, so obviously there is some interest. I feel like I could easily get my money's worth just playing through Mario, Zelda, the DQ games, and the Atlus and Square-Enix games. I don't care about much else. But since very little of this will be available at launch, there is no need to scramble for a console.

15 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Sold out at all my local stores and online pretty damn fast, so obviously there is some interest. I feel like I could easily get my money's worth just playing through Mario, Zelda, the DQ games, and the Atlus and Square-Enix games. I don't care about much else. But since very little of this will be available at launch, there is no need to scramble for a console.

They were saying before that Nintendo was only going to have a limited amount of consoles to sell at first.  I think that's their way of drumming up demand.