The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Avalanche @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

I think Texas has learned a few things from Alberta...very similar...cattle, oil and wheat/ Canola fields... and good ole farm boys (couple AB boys won the world championship Saddle bronc, calf roping and all round in the US this year). Go Canada Go!

But yeah, step outside of Calgary and it is all prairie, and cattle...just need to build the pipelines to open things up.

Yep I ain't no redneck hillbilly by a longshot.  Just a normal BC guy in Alberta.  There are an awful lot of Cowboys here, and deservedly so.  Been that way forever and isn't a trying to imitate texas thing, like that guy you quoted inferred.  Kinda a shame some of the CDC are so narrow minded.

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Watched Granlund more closely the past few games, and he's pretty crafty out there.  Kindof sneaks around and does small simple things that turn into scoring opportunities.  Not the fastest guy but gets there, has a pretty good shot, and has the ability to make high-end plays.  He has some real upside and it's going to make our protection list decision pretty interesting.  Not sure if we'll be able to keep him.

Surprised you made a point of his speed HW as I would say even from his breakaway sprint from the Avs cover the other night that speed is not something he lacks. He looks pretty quick to me.

In fact apart from the Sedins this team can be pretty fast when it is on form, as in the Oilers game where apart from McDavid we seemed to match them easily. I think that was the main quality that seemed to catch the Oilers out.

15 hours ago, Green Building said:

I can't argue with that, but if we add all that up though I still think there's an opportunity to make or finish a few checks. 2 instances I remember watching Tryamkin tuck his arms in for a hit but issue a light tap instead. I'm not trying to single him out, just saying there are chances to check even in a game you dominate. I am more concerned with the amount of hits we took rather than dished out, evening out the numbers a bit is just a wish.  I acknowledge this game was a bit of an abnormality, and we won so it really just comes down to my desire to split some hairs for a moment.

Can't argue with that either.  It was quite a disparity and you are correct that our guys on knocked down a lot.  I wonder what a statistical review of checking would show in the new Bettman era.  The team with more checks probably is on the losing end more often than not just because of PP and possession, which are turning in to the primary measurements of success in the NHL at least during regular season.  I can't believe the soft calls that are made particularly if someone has a step with the puck.  You touch the guy it turns into a hold, slash, something.   

The only guy looking to check on every shift is Gaunce and maybe Burrows.  

Archived