The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Avalanche @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

the sense of optimism on these boards are refreshing!  let's hope we and team continue this trend!

Maybe we can make a run in the playoffs?  We could trade a younger guy, like Virtanen, and get Evander Kane to give us that extra push even.  

16 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I have to admit that part of me wants the team to finish bottom 5 so they can get another high pick, but i cant cheer for losses while watching games.

The other thing to look at - if you take the position that tank is the best - is the Colorado Avalanche.

Since 2009 they have picked top 3  three different times and have had 2 number 10 picks.  So thats like 5 top 10 picks in 8 years. How do they fit into the tank is best theory?  Are they on the right path?  On paper they look good, as a team where the sum of the players should be greater than the individuals, they arent a good team at all.

I think what gives me hope with the Canucks is that character guys picked in latter rounds are stepping up.  

The difference is that Benning is looking for and signing players that can establish chemistry with each other. He's building a young core that is forming a tight gang mentality which will serve them well in a few years.

Also having veteran players (thank goodness the Sedins have shown some life again) playing balls out sets a precedent and helps to boost morale.

21 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I have to admit that part of me wants the team to finish bottom 5 so they can get another high pick, but i cant cheer for losses while watching games.

The other thing to look at - if you take the position that tank is the best - is the Colorado Avalanche.

Since 2009 they have picked top 3  three different times and have had 2 number 10 picks.  So thats like 5 top 10 picks in 8 years. How do they fit into the tank is best theory?  Are they on the right path?  On paper they look good, as a team where the sum of the players should be greater than the individuals, they arent a good team at all.

I think what gives me hope with the Canucks is that character guys picked in latter rounds are stepping up.  

I don't care at all about the picks this year, except maybe Liljegren. I'd love to have 1 more top end puck moving RHD to go with  OJ. But since you can't guarantee a top pick anymore I'd prefer to see them make a wildcard spot for the playoff experience and frankly for the reward for busting their assess all year long. I have to think guys like Boeser would also be more willing to leave college with a team that can make the playoffs vs going to a place like Colorado. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we can make a run in the playoffs?  We could trade a younger guy, like Virtanen, and get Evander Kane to give us that extra push even.  

I was hoping that would be Jake but he seems to have stalled again, at least points-wise anyway in Utica. I haven't watched any of the games tho but I was hoping to see more than 4 goals in 20 games for him in the AHL. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LOL

oh, you're serious???

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I don't care at all about the picks this year, except maybe Liljegren. I'd love to have 1 more top end puck moving RHD to go with  OJ. But since you can't guarantee a top pick anymore I'd prefer to see them make a wildcard spot for the playoff experience and frankly for the reward for busting their assess all year long. I have to think guys like Boeser would also be more willing to leave college with a team that can make the playoffs vs going to a place like Colorado. 

Considering out of JB's four first round picks Boeser (picked 23) looks to be the best, drafting high up isn't so important maybe?

Just now, Alflives said:

Considering out of JB's four first round picks Boeser (picked 23) looks to be the best, drafting high up isn't so important maybe?

BB probably should have been in the top 12 according to some reviews. But you don't have to draft for them, you can also go free agent or trade. Landeskog for Tanev e.g., gives you a #2 overall pick that you didn't have to draft. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

BB probably should have been in the top 12 according to some reviews. But you don't have to draft for them, you can also go free agent or trade. Landeskog for Tanev e.g., gives you a #2 overall pick that you didn't have to draft. 

I would love for JB to make a trade like that!  Duchene or Landeskog for Tanev, which one is better for us?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would love for JB to make a trade like that!  Duchene or Landeskog for Tanev, which one is better for us?

GL for sure. Duchene isn't an upgrade on Bo imo. Plus GL and Bo could be 2 pieces of the next top line. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

GL for sure. Duchane isn't an upgrade on Bo imo. Plus GL and Bo could be 2 pieces of the next top line. 

Well the Avs will need to do something.  It's crazy how terrible they are.  Tanev would certainly settle down their defensive game.  They could do with a defensive centre too.  Actually, their team is a friggin mess, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Riviera82 said:

Funny reading Flames fans forums, they cannot comprehend how Baertschi is putting up points, and are making all sorts of excuses as to what is going on in Vancouver regarding Baertschi.

Baertschi sitting 13th in the entire NHL is points per minute (5v5) is a little surprising (and might not be sustainable). But Baertschi posting top-6 level production shouldn't surprise Flames fans. It's basically what he did when he played for them.

Baertschi 2011-15: 1.86 points/60 5v5 (all but 3 of his NHL games in that period were played with Calgary).

That's a top-90 scoring rate in today's NHL.

Baertschi 2015-17: 1.86 points/60 (all with Vancouver).

He's posted a "first line" scoring rate (based on him being among the top-90 forwards in the league), both with Calgary and Vancouver, over 2000+ 5v5 minutes in the NHL.

Numbers don't lie. What you see is what you get. Sven Baertschi can put-up points.

He's hot right now so his current season rate of 2.55 points/60 might not represent where his production will be longterm (although it's possible he can maintain it). That would be "elite" level scoring. But it seems pretty safe to say that Baertschi has shown he can provide top-6 level production and possibly even "first line" scoring.

Where Flames fans might have reasons to be surprised is in what Baertschi has done in Vancouver off the score sheet. He's a much better defensive player now. He's responsible at both ends of the ice. His compete level is higher. He's far more engaged shift-to-shift. He doesn't retreat from physical play. He's actually quite strong on the puck. And he goes to the tough areas, recovers pucks, fights through traffic for scoring chances, and battles along the boards.

Baertschi has become a complete player. He's matured and developed. The talent was always there. But he didn't always bring the consistency of effort needed to justify a regular lineup spot and minutes.

That's changed since coming to Vancouver. So now he's getting the opportunity to play regularly. And when Baertschi plays, he puts up points. Always has and (likely) always will.

Desjardins has talked a lot about how last season it was Baertschi's two-way play and consistency of effort that kept him in the lineup when he wasn't scoring. And this paid off when he had a solid second half to 2015-16. This season, Baertschi again struggled out of the gate to produce points, but his underlying numbers (and the eye test) showed that he was playing well, and that eventually he would be rewarded. We're now seeing the results of this on the score sheet.

The only question for me is how much he'll score going forward? Given his career rate of 1.86 points/60 and his current season rate of 2.55 points/60, I'd say something over 2 points per sixty minutes of 5v5 is a fair projection.

That would be quality "first line" production.

Which really shouldn't surprise Flames fans (no matter how many excuses they try to make ;))

I think Chaput deserves a lot of credit.

I honestly couldn't care less that he hasn't scored a goal.

The guy has been outstanding.

If you see one of our guys busting a nut to get back, break up an entry, etc - good chance there's 45 on his back.

His underlying numbers have been excellent - as have Gaunce's - something verified by the eye test as their line has a lot of great possession shifts, eating time in the opposition o-zone, wearing on opponents and most importantly, surrendering little in the way of quality chances in their own end.  They're both in the range of 23% ozone/37% dzone starts with very strong shot differentials - and they've done that primarily playing with an exceptionally young blueline.

Chaput has been 51.2% in the faceoff circle, something that's more impressive imo when you consider the bulk of his draws are in the dzone where there's an advantage to the attacking center/team.

But for me, it's mainly his obvious hunger - his puck hounding - that makes me love his game.  He plays the game like a young Burrows, always attacking possession and relentlessly motoring around looking to hit the heart of the play.  With the loss of Dorsett, it's important to have that kind of energy in the bottom six imo, and he's been a great addition.

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OMG no.  Lol we do not have a playoff run kind of team.  Trade away a prospect for a loser like Kane and make a push with a subpar team will backfire hard. 

Archived