The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canuck Players Trade Value Just Rocketed Up.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

If you expected a cup win these past five years you're more delusional than I thought. I'm talking down the road. You don't need to move every last player out in a rebuild.

You wanted bad - you got bad. So why are you mad we've been bad these past four years?

Different players, different priorities. Some will chase a cup, others put family and home first. I can respect both of those choices.

How'd all those extra picks work out for Shanny? :lol:

You're better at running different directions and turning a blind eye than answering questions.

Here is where I get confused Baggins

If you can move a veteran and replace him with better...…..how is that not better? (aka UFA) Especially in a rebuild.

I have never understood your point, when discussing this...…..

Stay the course this season.. unless Edler really wants a third year with a NMC then trade him if he allows it.

other than Edler, most of our players are better offseason trades.

Tanev, Sutter, Guddy as examples are better suited for the offseason.

as well gives time to see how goldy, leivo and virtanen handles the rest of the season to perhaps up there value or cement their spots 

39 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

(Joe this is not directed at you, but only as a comment that your comment brought up)….does that make sense?

You know how much I like Benning, Joe.....Great drafter, has a vision...…………...

But looking at the players moving around today.....it makes me wonder about all the missed opportunities, we have had and squandered...…...

All for the name of nostalgia, I honestly wonder about this, and where we would be, not only in assets gained through trade, but also quality of asset gained through draft position.

Hank Sedin

Daniel Sedin

Dan Hamhuis

Alex Edler

Chris Tanev 

"IF"....all were to have moved them 1 year earlier than their departure, and or for the sake of my comment, last year...….what additional assets would we have? IMO, we would have had a multitude of 1st and 2nd round picks, as well as several more great assets from other teams...….Would we have been better today? I doubt it, but chances are, we would still have been in position to pick Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes.

In my opinion, we have lost at least 4-1st's, 4-2nd's, and several A-prospects or something very close...…………….

As much as I love him...…...I find that very hard to argue with

My philosophy will be redundant soon, as we will not have any more older valued veterans to move, and it will be a completely mute point

Think EK when in Ottawa, think of all the great players traded at the end of their careers...………...How is all that warm and fuzzy, making you all feel?

Think about how you feel about fan favorite Trevor Linden.....still feel warm and fuzzy?

Ignoring the Hamhuis list? Chicago (no interest) and Dallas (got their first choice). After Edler and Tanev what was there to depend on? Edler is still our best d-man. I wouldn't move him either. 

Henrik and Daniel earned the right to choose. Period.

The problem with doing what you guys want (just move the old out now!) is you become the Oilers. Too many in over their head and not enough experience to learn from. Or Guardians choice of tactics, be a complete dick so no player will trust you and sign for less money because they want to be here. 

I have no problem with Linden or Benning. I think they've gone about it the right way for the most part. The only real mistake I thought they made was rushing Virtanen and McCann in to appease fans like you crying for youth. 

1 - Have you ever seen a GM inherit a team that only had one roster player under 27, the rest of the team on the decline, and absolutely nothing of value on their farm team? 

2 - Did you see the list of Shanny acquired picks making an NHL impact?

3 - Why have the Oilers stayed so bad, despite so many 1st overall picks, plus added picks from out of the playoff deadline dealings?

52 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is where I get confused Baggins

If you can move a veteran and replace him with better...…..how is that not better? (aka UFA) Especially in a rebuild.

I have never understood your point, when discussing this...…..

How many "better than what we have" ufa's want to go to a team that's rebuilding? We got Miller because it worked being here for his wife and it was good money. Eriksson because term and money with an expansion draft guarantee. Vrbata didn't come cheap at $5m per for a 50 point player and said he signed here because he wanted to play with the Sedins. If we had traded the Sedins would he have had any interest at all?

If far easier to say "just sign high end ufa's" than to actually convince them to sign with a rebuilding team. If high end guys are actually moving they either have a specific team they want to or are looking to sign with a team that will compete for a cup. High end UFA's typically sign with teams for specific reasons. Somebody they want to play with, a team they have wanted to play for, a shot at the cup, or money with term.

Have you ever heard a player say, "Ya, I left money on the table because I wanted to go to a rebuilding team"?

12 hours ago, Baggins said:

Ignoring the Hamhuis list? Chicago (no interest) and Dallas (got their first choice). After Edler and Tanev what was there to depend on? Edler is still our best d-man. I wouldn't move him either. 

Henrik and Daniel earned the right to choose. Period.

Edler is 33 in a few weeks, injury prone, not played 70 games in the last 4 years. Benning has had 5 years to find, sign, trade for a replacement instead he sat on his hands and did nothing but bandaids and now he may let Edler go when he is at his highest value in years, for free and then proclaim the rebuild is a slow process like Columbus 18 yrs and counting. He has a reputation of being a pushover all this bull crud about FA not wanting to come here won't matter because he will not be here by then.

Sedins earned the right and fans paid for the right to see a good team, players first, team, fans and winning secondary. Sundin still got a standing ovation and a "night" and he didn't even allow for a trade either.

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

If you expected a cup win these past five years you're more delusional than I thought. I'm talking down the road. You don't need to move every last player out in a rebuild.

You wanted bad - you got bad. So why are you mad we've been bad these past four years?

Different players, different priorities. Some will chase a cup, others put family and home first. I can respect both of those choices.

How'd all those extra picks work out for Shanny? :lol:

You're better at running different directions and turning a blind eye than answering questions.

No expectation of a cup during the five seasons only a poster like yourself could be that dense, but building for a cup during those five seasons, especially as it is apparently taking Benning draft picks that long to develop would have been prudent don't you think? 200 losses.

15 hours ago, spur1 said:

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. 

Are you her niece?

15 hours ago, spur1 said:

I guess two years is multi, and they pretty much all make millions. So what exactly are you saying?  

If Benning doesn't push Edler and his agent for a deal before the TDL he has to give the ultimatum or he looks like he needs some cohonas  

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just gonna point this out one last time

Edler is injured.  Potentially not playing the rest of the season.

Tanev is injured.  Potentially next 3 weeks.

No team is giving value for lame horses.  At all.

Blaming Benning for that is just sad.  As for lost revenue...it's not coming outta your pocket or mine and Aqua Man seems ok with it so why worry about it

You don't think that just maybe they want depth for the playoffs? Do you think Washington or Tampa would trade for one thinking they are upgrading? This is not a good team but they are able to play 3/4 or top llne positions in a clutch on a good team. Not really hard to be the best on this team

12 hours ago, goblix said:

Stay the course this season.. unless Edler really wants a third year with a NMC then trade him if he allows it.

other than Edler, most of our players are better offseason trades.

Tanev, Sutter, Guddy as examples are better suited for the offseason.

as well gives time to see how goldy, leivo and virtanen handles the rest of the season to perhaps up there value or cement their spots 

If the TDL goes by Edler really has the hammer and his agent will squeeze for everything they can get knowing the backlash if Edler walks even with the clause. Edler has even stated it would be his preference, preference is not craved in stone, "I will not waive" is carved in stone.

Off season all of those players are competing with every other player from 31 teams, right now the pressure is one 20 teams, which gets the better price a sellers market or a buyers market?

Rumoured contract, 4 years @ 6 mil with NMC first 3 years and MNTC last year to appease the fans, with 90% of contract in signing bonuses in the first 3 years. Heard that e from Eliot

12 hours ago, Baggins said:

How many "better than what we have" ufa's want to go to a team that's rebuilding? We got Miller because it worked being here for his wife and it was good money. Eriksson because term and money with an expansion draft guarantee. Vrbata didn't come cheap at $5m per for a 50 point player and said he signed here because he wanted to play with the Sedins. If we had traded the Sedins would he have had any interest at all?

If far easier to say "just sign high end ufa's" than to actually convince them to sign with a rebuilding team. If high end guys are actually moving they either have a specific team they want to or are looking to sign with a team that will compete for a cup. High end UFA's typically sign with teams for specific reasons. Somebody they want to play with, a team they have wanted to play for, a shot at the cup, or money with term.

Have you ever heard a player say, "Ya, I left money on the table because I wanted to go to a rebuilding team"?

Well, I think you have argued my case...…..there are lots of reasons to sign in Vancouver

Up and coming team that will prolong my career

A team that spends to the cap

A beautiful city, with a decent moral code compared to most

Management that want to win

I think they are good reasons to sign here......Good enough for Matts Sundin, and Messier (Puke!)

Basically my argument is this...………..

Myers + Trade return is greater than Edler

Better in terms of age, better in terms of player, and better in terms of future prospect

and really in the big picture, unless Edler is going to sign for under 4 million...…..there will not be much difference in cost

Edler est 5.5M...……..Myers est 6.5 M...………..so you get years and picks for your 1 Million per year

To me that is a win...………..

JB wont trade edler or tanev, they are injured.

Tanev should be moved at the draft or early next year, before he gets hurt. He always gets hurt, same with Sutter. How can we hold onto all these injured guys and think they will help us long term when they always get hurt. When your hurt you cant help your team.

We are going to be mediocre for a couple years. It wont be till closer to the end of Bo's current deal before we might be considered a threat. In that time we need to fill many holes on our team. So in a few years, how helpful will Sutter, Edler and Tanev be to us....

Granny I could see being moved, maybe Goldy. Possibly Pouliot. Going to be another quiet deadline for a team that just keeps spinning its wheels. Props to Linden for leaving after he saw no light at the end of the tunnel

Archived