The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks taking on popular buyout candidates + a young RD prospect

On 6/6/2019 at 6:23 AM, Fanuck said:

1.  Any quality assets acquired need to play - as do our own young assets.  There's less room/ice time for these quality assets to play if 'cap dump' guys are taking roster spots either with the Canucks and/or with the Comets.

2.  Again, these guys either have to play for the Canucks/Comets/or get bought out.  I would just rather draft our own guys with no strings attached.

Look, I'm not saying there isn't a case to be made for acquiring a cap-dump + bonus assets - I just haven't heard the right case (right players involved and their respective contracts) for this club yet.  

JB, from the start, came here with the model/vision of building a new core of guys through the draft and supplementing them with targeted, UFA supporting players that fill specific team needs at that time.  The LE signing, looking back now, was a mistake - NO ONE can argue that anymore - I believe it was done to appease Aquaman in an attempt at getting into the playoffs sooner rather than later for his elderly father, but it didn't work out that way.  

I believe JB's vision was to build through the draft and although we all knew it was going to be painful, I was completely on board with it and I think he should be allowed to complete his vision - he's close imo, but not quite there yet. 

1) ‘cap dump’ guys don’t necessarily have to play.   They would have to earn roster spots like everyone else and would be healthy scratches if their play wasn’t up to par.   The ends would justify the means in this case.......the end being acquiring Eric Bouchard and Adrian Kempe and putting them in the roster.   In my above scenario, Lucic would be a 3rd or 4th loner while Phaneuf would be a 7th dman that would fill in Incase of injuries.

2)   Like I said earlier - I think “two” is the magic number (as in accepting cap dumps that are two years in length).  1 year cap dumps likely wouldn’t land us quality picks or prospects, while 3+ years would likely cause us future problems.

Phaneuf has two years left on his contract o believe.  

Although Lucic’s contract is worse than Eriksson’s, I think the Canucks would still be able to have one “bad” contract in the future just as long as guys like Phaneuf, Sutter, Schaller, and even Edler/Tanev are off the books on July 1st 2021.   We upgrade our 10th overall due to switching Eriksson and Lucic.

Kempe-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Lucic-Beagle-Leivo

Baertschi

Hutton-Stecher

Edler-Bouchard

Hughes-Tanev

Phaneuf, Schenn

4 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Marleau and Kapanen for Sutter and Tanev?  Enough savings for the leafs?  Maybe 2 mil with what they would have to sign Kapanen for?

Toronto wouldn’t want that for Marleau and Kapanen.  Their primary purpose for dumping Marleau would be to clear as much cap space as possible.   I think their asking price would a high draft pick (or picks) of some kind.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Toronto wouldn’t want that for Marleau and Kapanen.  Their primary purpose for dumping Marleau would be to clear as much cap space as possible.   I think their asking price would a high draft pick (or picks) of some kind.

I think they would get a huge defensive boost from this but the values seem in the vicinity.  A team getting Marleau only I can’t see him going for higher than a 4th round pick.

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

TO is dumping cap, so Marleau and zaitsev are cap dumps.  The Leafs will have to add sweeteners to get rid of them.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

TO is dumping cap, so Marleau and zaitsev are cap dumps.  The Leafs will have to add sweeteners to get rid of them.  

What about taking Nathan Horton off of Toronto's hands IF they give us Rasmus Sandin?    

To Toronto:    2nd rounder

To Vancouver:   Nathan Horton + Rasmus Sandin 

Asking for Sandin might be an optimistic ask on our part, but taking Horton off TO's hands would be a HUGE favour.    If Sandin is off the table, maybe you settle with Liljegren.

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

What about taking Nathan Horton off of Toronto's hands IF they give us Rasmus Sandin?    

To Toronto:    2nd rounder

To Vancouver:   Nathan Horton + Rasmus Sandin 

Asking for Sandin might be an optimistic ask on our part, but taking Horton off TO's hands would be a HUGE favour.    If Sandin is off the table, maybe you settle with Liljegren.

Horton only costs the Lesfs cash.  His contract wasn’t insured.  That’s why the Leafs took him.  They are cash rich but cap strapped.  Dumping Horton doesn’t help them does it?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Horton only costs the Lesfs cash.  His contract wasn’t insured.  That’s why the Leafs took him.  They are cash rich but cap strapped.  Dumping Horton doesn’t help them does it?

Oh ok I see.   Thank you for clarifying.  I thought Horton’s contract counted against the cap but I wasn’t entirely sure.  

In that case, new strategy.    

I would suggest Marleau but I don’t think his wife wants to be anywhere north of the border.   Zaitsev’s contract just sucks.   Too much term there.   

I would take on Zaitsev’s contract only if they gave us Rasmus Sandin or Kasperi Kapanen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Oh ok I see.   Thank you for clarifying.  I thought Horton’s contract counted against the cap but I wasn’t entirely sure.  

In that case, new strategy.    

I would suggest Marleau but I don’t think his wife wants to be anywhere north of the border.   Zaitsev’s contract just sucks.   Too much term there.   

I would take on Zaitsev’s contract only if they gave us Rasmus Sandin or Kasperi Kapanen.

Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen? 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen? 

I’m not sure if Toronto goes for that.    I think their primary purpose in moving Zaitsev would be to have immediate cap relief.  Even if it would only be for a year, Tanev would still come with a 4.whatever million dollar cap hit.  

I also don’t think Tanev has much value around the league anymore.   The time to move Tanev for significant value was 3 years ago.  Unfortunately, at that time, the Canucks has absolutely zero on their right side D and so they weren’t in a position to move Tanev.  Unfortunately, things haven’t really changed much on that end.   Tanev has far more value to the Canucks, then he would in terms of what he could bring back to us via trade.

A guy like Tanev is perfect for helping someone like Hughes break into the league in his first year.   I think the Canucks should hold onto Tanev and should only consider moving Tanev if they bring another top pairing RD into the fold.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m not sure if Toronto goes for that.    I think their primary purpose in moving Zaitsev would be to have immediate cap relief.  Even if it would only be for a year, Tanev would still come with a 4.whatever million dollar cap hit.  

I also don’t think Tanev has much value around the league anymore.   The time to move Tanev for significant value was 3 years ago.  Unfortunately, at that time, the Canucks has absolutely zero on their right side D and so they weren’t in a position to move Tanev.  Unfortunately, things haven’t really changed much on that end.   Tanev has far more value to the Canucks, then he would in terms of what he could bring back to us via trade.

A guy like Tanev is perfect for helping someone like Hughes break into the league in his first year.   I think the Canucks should hold onto Tanev and should only consider moving Tanev if they bring another top pairing RD into the fold.

Yup we’d need to take Marleau too.  That saves the Leafs 7 million.  

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Canucks taking on popular buyout candidates + a young RD prospect