The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019-20 Minor Signings Thread

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know Gardiner will sign, but is Ben Hutton looking at a PTO?  

I like BHut - to me he's still a Canuck so I can't be making any fun of him.

I'd like to see him re-sign with us - if he'd take a reasonable cap hit - which imo would be less than Benn at this point.

The thing about 'holding out' in the early stages of free agency - it can leave you without a chair when the music stops - whether your performance 'warrants' a bit more or not.

With  both the cap tightening, and the expansion draft pending....it's leaving some guys out of the fold thus far.

Kronwall, McQuaid, Engelland, Girardi, Lovejoy, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Sbisa, MDZ, BHut, etc = all still unsigned.

Not a bad market for teams looking for a deflated depth signing imo.

If the Canucks did not have Sautner, Brisebois, Biega, possibly Woo in the near future - I wouldn't be surprised if they dipped in once again - I might add one of those guys for depth if the terms were advantageous enough (might not be realistic for some of those names that you'd probably need to have a roster spot for - but a few of them might have to be willing to compete as a 7/8 in the end under the present circumstances.  Eric Gryba for dirt cheap might be a decent 5RHD/Utica option/Schenn replacement.....

But regarding Gardiner - how often is "the best defenseman1" available in free agency....still on the market a week later?  :wacko:

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I like BHut - to me he's still a Canuck so I can't be making any fun of him.

I'd like to see him re-sign with us - if he'd take a reasonable cap hit - which imo would be less than Benn at this point.

The thing about 'holding out' in the early stages of free agency - it can leave you without a chair when the music stops - whether your performance 'warrants' a bit more or not.

With  both the cap tightening, and the expansion draft pending....it's leaving some guys out of the fold thus far.

Kronwall, McQuaid, Engelland, Girardi, Lovejoy, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Sbisa, MDZ, BHut, etc = all still unsigned.

Not a bad market for teams looking for a deflated depth signing imo.

If the Canucks did not have Sautner, Brisebois, Biega, possibly Woo in the near future - I wouldn't be surprised if they dipped in once again - I might add one of those guys for depth if the terms were advantageous enough (might not be realistic for some of those names that you'd probably need to have a roster spot for - but a few of them might have to be willing to compete as a 7/8 in the end under the present circumstances.  Eric Gryba for dirt cheap might be a decent 5RHD/Utica option/Schenn replacement.....

But regarding Gardiner - how often is "the best defenseman1" available in free agency....still on the market a week later?  :wacko:

Maybe teams are scared off Gardiner because they’re worried about his back?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Maybe teams are scared off Gardiner because they’re worried about his back?  

Has his back been dictating his performance in the last three playoffs? 

Maybe his back is a barrier/concern - how would I know - but that wouldn't be what would make me hesitate.

• Cheers 1