The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - Final List

Rate this topic

-AJ-

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Didn’t mention Luongo simply because he’s retired but for sure he’s making the top 50 goaltenders all-time.  Chara is one of a few defenseman of his generation that also might make it - Burns, Karlsson, Doughty and Keith are the others ... maybe Kane too. Edit and yes Thornton is all but a slam dunk...put huge points in the dead puck era and made the Sharks one of the best teams the past 20 years despite no cup. 

edit;  Think D Sedin also would make the top 50 for L wingers - H. Sedin probably not given the competition is much stiffer...Naslund also has an outside chance too

I got mixed up there, haha, yeah Bobby Lu has retired. Feels like yesterday he was still playing.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm having a hard time thinking of 50 better left wingers.  And there sure aren't a lot of left wingers to win an Art Ross Trophy.

As it stands, Daniel is 11th all time in LW career scoring.  And of the guys ahead of him, I have him easily above Ray Whitney and Keith Tkachuk, and probably Andreychuk as well (the guy did captain a team to the Stanley Cup).  Someone could also try to make a case for him being better than Robitaille, Goulet and Shanahan.

As for the guys behind him in scoring, the only ones I would promote to above Daniel are Ted Lindsay, Bob Gainey and...maybe Clark Gillies.  Tough to make a call with really old guys like Bert Olmstead, Dickie Moore, Toe Blake.  But anyway, Daniel isn't dropping many spots if any at all when recalibrating the list.

By the way, Markus Naslund is 19th in career scoring for LWs.  I'd have him in the top 50 as well.

I knew the left side was weak but not that weak ha ha.  For sure Naslund makes it in then ... possibly higher then his points.  Yes to Gainey moving up, he never scored that much but also wasnt on the PP much and always played against the best players of his time.   Gilles i was happy to see get the HHOF call, his PIMs would suggest he wasn’t mixing it up much but that was because nobody wanted to fight the guy...his only decisive loss was against Ben Wilson, and he more then made up for that his second go around (thanks to Bob Nystrom insisting he get that monkey of his back)  - one of the best power forwards ever.   Shanny id have ahead of D Sedin despite his lack of personal hardware - cups matter...lucky Luke and Goulet not sure. Shanny is a little like Howe with the rare combination of skill, durability and pugilence.  

Moore is a tough one / from what I’ve read he was a superstar in his era so he should probably move up.  Hard to compare eras but you can just by going from generation to generation and who played well against the next crop, and who they played well against all the way to present time.  It’s much easier to go from expansion all the way until now.  Jagr and Iginla played in the 90’s until the 2010plus right?  If a 38 year old Gretzky is getting 90 plus points in the dead puck era just before retiring against some of the best in the 2000’s then maybe he really is great right ha ha. 

Other then Bure, Naslund, D. Sedin and Luongo would make the top 50 cut probably Mogilny too.  Haven’t checked the stats - maybe I’m missing someone ...

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm having a hard time thinking of 50 better left wingers.  And there sure aren't a lot of left wingers to win an Art Ross Trophy.

As it stands, Daniel is 11th all time in LW career scoring.  And of the guys ahead of him, I have him easily above Ray Whitney and Keith Tkachuk, and probably Andreychuk as well (the guy did captain a team to the Stanley Cup).  Someone could also try to make a case for him being better than Robitaille, Goulet and Shanahan.

As for the guys behind him in scoring, the only ones I would promote to above Daniel are Ted Lindsay, Bob Gainey and...maybe Clark Gillies.  Tough to make a call with really old guys like Bert Olmstead, Dickie Moore, Toe Blake.  But anyway, Daniel isn't dropping many spots if any at all when recalibrating the list.

By the way, Markus Naslund is 19th in career scoring for LWs.  I'd have him in the top 50 as well.

Did some digging in my hockey books and decided to go with what THN hockey historians said about Dickie Moore (who they have ranked 11 th best all-time player for the habs..almost all of their top 33 are all HHOFers - good grief) 

They said one of the best two-wingers ever to play the game.  His 96 points in 58-59 were the most ever at the time (guessing in 72 games but didn’t check). 594 points in 654 GP for the Habs.   Considering the murderers row of HHOFers they have listed after him I’d have to agree with the superstar handle he had during his playing days.   Other L wingers on their list are Aurel Joliat (18) who they said was relentless, tough and a goal scorer (1922-38), Bob Gainey (19) who we’ve talked about, Toe Blake (22) Steve Shutt (27) and Frank Mahovlich (29).   Also some a tier below in Mats Naslund, Ferguson and Olmstead who I’m sure would make the best top 50 by position all-time.    Moore was ranked ahead of Savard, Geoffrion, Dryden and a bunch of others with cup rings and HHOF resumes too.    Pretty sure the guys that do this for a living would have Moore in the top five.  Also have to wonder where D Sedin would compare to these guys - if Moore is higher and that much higher can see he has a very good argument to be ranked before most L wingers including Daniel. 

Edit:  Their 50th player is Patches...562-209-202-411 ... ha ha.  Wonder where he’d be ranked captaining our team ... top ten in goals three times ...

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1