The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] matt dumba

I'm no capologist but I'm assuming even if it were possible it would take a few moves to get this guy under the cap, but that being said isn't Dumba a prime target for SEA to take in the expansion draft? Is he someone the Canucks could/should target given their expansion draft flexibility?   

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

I'm no capologist but I'm assuming even if it were possible it would take a few moves to get this guy under the cap, but that being said isn't Dumba a prime target for SEA to take in the expansion draft? Is he someone the Canucks could/should target given their expansion draft flexibility?   

As of today, the Wild have 3 d-men with NMC's that would have to be protected so it is quite likely they will try to move Dumba. If we could move Schmidt out for picks and/or "exempt" prospects that would free up the cap space we would need for Dumba. The problem is that is the exact type of return that the Wild would be looking for in a Dumba trade so we would likely end up simply swapping out Schmidt for Dumba when all is said and done. Is that something the Canucks would want to do? It would give us a right handed shooting d-man but I'm not sure that is a swap the team wants to make.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

As of today, the Wild have 3 d-men with NMC's that would have to be protected so it is quite likely they will try to move Dumba. If we could move Schmidt out for picks and/or "exempt" prospects that would free up the cap space we would need for Dumba. The problem is that is the exact type of return that the Wild would be looking for in a Dumba trade so we would likely end up simply swapping out Schmidt for Dumba when all is said and done. Is that something the Canucks would want to do? It would give us a right handed shooting d-man but I'm not sure that is a swap the team wants to make.

Thing about that is then MIN gains nothing as Schmidt would be picked up.  

As of right now most models have Seattle taking Dumba. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Thing about that is then MIN gains nothing as Schmidt would be picked up.  

As of right now most models have Seattle taking Dumba. 

I was not suggesting that we would swap Schmidt to Minnesota for Dumba. We would trade Schmidt for "exempt' players and/or picks and then use those assets gained to trade off to Minnesota. The net impact for us would end up being Schmidt for Dumba. Of course Minnesota could bypass us by simply doing what I suggest we do with Schmidt.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

OP.   Seattle is looking forward to selecting Dumba.  

That may happen but I believe Minnesota would first explore what it would take to get Seattle to take another player of Minnesota's liking and, failing that, would look to move him for "exempt" assets before the expansion draft. If both of those options fail I would certainly agree Seattle will welcome Dumba to their team via the expansion draft.

24 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

That may happen but I believe Minnesota would first explore what it would take to get Seattle to take another player of Minnesota's liking and, failing that, would look to move him for "exempt" assets before the expansion draft. If both of those options fail I would certainly agree Seattle will welcome Dumba to their team via the expansion draft.

They want Dumba because they have to get something to build around on the back end and he's their BPA.   Same reasons why they have Palat and Pavelski on their top line ...: 

38 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I was not suggesting that we would swap Schmidt to Minnesota for Dumba. We would trade Schmidt for "exempt' players and/or picks and then use those assets gained to trade off to Minnesota. The net impact for us would end up being Schmidt for Dumba. Of course Minnesota could bypass us by simply doing what I suggest we do with Schmidt.

In the end it really comes down to how much Seattle wants to play ball.   They will in the end, benefit the most from a deal like this as MIN and VAN would have to pay for them not to select Schmidt.   It happened in Vegas (three way deals and promises not to take certain players) so yes it is plausible. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They want Dumba because they have to get something to build around on the back end and he's their BPA.   Same reasons why they have Palat and Pavelski on their top line ...: 

Yeah, I have no doubt Seattle would love to get Dumba. Minnesota, on the other hand, would equally love to get something for Dumba.

It will be interesting to see how this one develops.