The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers hire John Tortorella as head coach

Rate this topic

I think he's the right coach for the flyers. Bunch of players there that play half assed, and torts will straighten them up and hold them accountable. 

Players that give it 110% every shift love torts because he's fair and doesn't care if you're a superstar or a depth player as long as they're performing their task and not giving half assed effort

Seems like their GM is gonna make some short sighted moves to win now rather than go through rebuild with torts. Maybe they'll offer something for Miller. 

Edited by secksii

On 6/16/2022 at 3:04 PM, Angry Goose said:

I was reading this article on Cam Atkinson / history with Tortorella  and it sounds like he really wants Chuck Fletcher to make some off season changes.  Described the Flyers as being too soft.  And now with Torts I would imagine the onus is in ‘win now’.  

Maybe Flyers / Canucks are possible trade partners.  

Core/busting & shaking loose any of those anchoring no-trade clause agreements is what Tortz does best! 

One year & done. How long is his contract for? Pitty if this team has to see more than 2 years with this guy. 

He’ll pick a scape-goat or two & imediately try to trade away anyone with awkward direct knowledge of his bullying-history & hard-ball tactics with other NHL teams. Can’t have leaks undermining those evil workings of his! He’ll also mess with the team clowns, who use levity to ease tensions the most!

Old school Bullies-R-Us coaching tactics really need to be flushed from today’s more talented & progressive NHL. Yet, Tortz, as the standard flag-bearer for that kind of mind/game madness, still manages to stay relevant. Why?

Pffflllfttt to the Flyers management for hiring this hatchet man! 

Edited by viking mama

18 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Core/busting & shaking loose any of those anchoring no-trade clause agreements is what Tortz does best! 

One year & done. How long is is contract for? Pitty if this team has to see more than 2 years with this guy. 

He’ll pick a scape-goat or two & imediately try to trade away anyone with intimate or direct knowledge of bully tactic history. Can’t have these leaks  undermining his evil workings. He’ll screw with the team clowns who use levity to ease tensions, the most. 

Old school Bullies-R-Us coaching tactics need to be flushed from today’s more talented & progressive NHL. Yet, Tortz, as the standard flag-bearer for that kind of mind/game madness, still manages to stay relevant.

Pffflllfttt to the Flyers management for hiring this hatchet man! 

Torts may not be for everybody but he has a philosophy. if you listen to enough player interviews-they all respect him. some deeply respect him.  the more you learn the more you understand his approach. he genuinely wants to win and sometimes that requires uncomfortable situations and conflict.

ive been doing a lot of research on him lately and I think i better understand him as a coach and a person which by all accounts he is very genuine.  fans on the outside think hes being heavy handed or scapegoating but he might also just be calling things for what they are.  

Torts is an excellent fit for Philly.  Blue collar hardworking town and thats what the Flyers used to represent.  It may take awhile but I like the idea of building a new culture for that team with him at the helm.   

• Cheers 2

• 5 weeks later...