The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN Core U-24 Franchise Ranking & Best Players U-24

Rate this topic

Fanuck

21 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Mentioning Brady Tkachuk is good.  Did you forget he is 6’4” 221 pounds? Of course he is going to steamroll guys and bully his way around more often than Hoagie.  Traditional power forwards are usually pretty big guys.

but that doesnt mean Hoagie doesnt have a power element to his game-you would have to be blind not to see that.  The highlights show that. His game vs CGY he was bulldozing his way constantly with the puck.  When he is feeling it he can put his head down and force his way through.  

If he doesnt get enough hits so be it.  I appreciate the quality of hit such a smaller player can do though. If that’s not empirical evidence of “power” I dont know what to tell you.

That's because he is the literal definition of a quintessential power forward. He has the size and playstyle to back it up. That's what you expect. 

Pretty grindy effort from Hoglander last night like what we are use to seeing from him when he's going. He isn't a power forward like Brady or any of the aforementioned guys who play much more to that style. 

Like I said you have a loose definition of a power forward. Agree to disagree I guess. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

So did you watch Hoagie vs CGY at all last night? He didnt lay out Zohorna who is like twice his size? And remember how incensed Forbort was at Hoagie? That wasnt “mean”?  Hes very powerful for such a smaller player and doesnt shy away from contact at all-he is a very physical player.  That matches the criteria that you laid out.

I cant find it now but even Elias Petersson described NH as a power forward or something very similar to that extent.

If Hoglander can put it all together, we could be looking at Marchand lite.

Short but strong build with low center of gravity, hard to knock off the puck. 

Marchand added vision and passing to his game on top of his already decent shot.

Hoglander has quite a bit to work on and I doubt he reaches Marchand's level but he would be a valuable part of the team moving forward.

27 minutes ago, jyu said:

If Hoglander can put it all together, we could be looking at Marchand lite.

Short but strong build with low center of gravity, hard to knock off the puck. 

Marchand added vision and passing to his game on top of his already decent shot.

Hoglander has quite a bit to work on and I doubt he reaches Marchand's level but he would be a valuable part of the team moving forward.

Im surprised he has such a tough time producing.  For a guy with a high skill level upu would think the puck would be going in a bit more.

Maybe that’s a good thing tho.  If they can get him on a good contract hes someone that could outperform it.  

28 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Im surprised he has such a tough time producing.  For a guy with a high skill level upu would think the puck would be going in a bit more.

Maybe that’s a good thing tho.  If they can get him on a good contract hes someone that could outperform it.  

As he gains more experience, the game is going to slow down for him and he will learn how to buy time to make the right decisions. Then the puck will go in more. Now he looks like he's rushing a lot of the decisions.

I'm pretty high on Hoglander. I'm also high on Podkolzin. These guys definitely have the physical attributes and high enough hockey IQ. I think they will eventually connect the dots and become strong contributors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

It’s his 3rd full season in the league, who’s gotten 100 points that early in their career except for the Crosby/Mcdavids of the league?

Exactly! That’s what superstars are 

I didn’t know it was so easy to give that title away. 

3 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Well no that’s what I’d call ‘generational’. Superstar would be a tad below that.

Is Draisaitl generational? Selanne? Robertson is 23, let’s just see how many points by end of season before calling him superstar. I have watched him played numerous games this season. His shot is elite but his entire game does not come off as superstar player. 

• Fanuck changed the title to TSN Core U-24 Franchise Ranking & Best Players U-24