The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Current Canuck Defence Playoff Team Quality? (My Analysis)

Rate this topic

JamesB

How Good is the Canuck D  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

He for sure wasn't considered BPA by the scouts paid to analyze the group of picks by both ISS and the aggregate average of 10 NHL scouts THN uses in their rankings.    OJ had a high floor, considered a "safe"

pick, but not at all top five material, top ten barely at best.    And yes a couple TV personalities had him modestly close to where he was ranked.    But the fact is, even on a loaded, a loaded London team, his stats were meh compared to his peers.    He's the poster child of why you can't just take the WJ's and ignore the rest of it.   Bouchard was almost two years younger than him, and did better than draft plus one for OJ.    Maybe the team had him as BPA, but doubt it, this was an organizational pick, someone to replace Edler.    Sergachev and Chychrun.   If you wanted a LHD (and why ugh - JB just why always LHD's?) why not pick Chychrun?   A year before the draft, he was even considered as a top 1 or 2 pick given his man sized body.  

Sergachev ... even McAvoy if you want a smallish PMD.    That would have been off board like Sieder, but a way better choice.    BPA OJ was not at all.   Did anyone even talk about him on the forum before he was picked?   I had to go look at my books/mags again, to see where he was ranked (at the time), wasn't at all in the 3-5th overall range, and sure wasn't even on the outskirts of my radar, had Chychrun, then Sergachev as maybes - OJ not one bit, because I didn't think we'd trade down that far.   Meanwhile MT was 2-4 by almost everyone, ahead of PLD who seemed to be who JB constantly talked about.   

OJ, the cocky draft pick, who at the time said "anyone can go to the gym, but you can't teach hockey smarts".... boy did that backfire on him in a big way.   Didn't seem like he ever figured that out watching him have an asthma attack after a bag skate.     Schenn and Miller saying hold my beer and virtually a half lap ahead of Horvat even on some of those drills.    Can't defend OJ as a pick anymore.   And I was actually one of those guys trying to preach patience.   

Reality is the scouts were right.    Prior to the WJ's was anywhere for a mid first round to and early second round.    That's exactly where he should have gone, actually a second rounder not a first at all.   Without his pedigree, and if he was say a 3rd round pick instead, I doubt he'd even get much further than Brisbois.   Who, actually seems to be working out. 

Edit:  Someone posted a video of a phone camera when it came time for our pick - fans were screaming Mathew's name.    This dialogue he said he wouldn't play for us is just fiction.   The fans knew we lucked out!   JB sure didn't.    Maybe if we drafted him, we wouldn't have got EP... quite likely we wouldn't have got QHs, that's the silver lining in picking OJ, but that's it.   Why we just passed on a kid with that lineage, and who just was super clutch on the way to the memorial cup ... was it 21 goals in 22 games?   Wow.   Absolute, complete, and total idiocy.   He was considered >> then PLD.    

meh even if we taken MT i doubt he makes a difference in our standing with our line up those years. we prolly still end up with EP and likely QH since EP didn't come over till after QH was drafted and MT prolly wouldn't explode coz he doesn't have a JG or lindholm or whoever else they had on the flames.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

He for sure wasn't considered BPA by the scouts paid to analyze the group of picks by both ISS and the aggregate average of 10 NHL scouts THN uses in their rankings.    OJ had a high floor, considered a "safe"

pick, but not at all top five material, top ten barely at best.    And yes a couple TV personalities had him modestly close to where he was ranked.    But the fact is, even on a loaded, a loaded London team, his stats were meh compared to his peers.    He's the poster child of why you can't just take the WJ's and ignore the rest of it.   Bouchard was almost two years younger than him, and did better than draft plus one for OJ.    Maybe the team had him as BPA, but doubt it, this was an organizational pick, someone to replace Edler.    Sergachev and Chychrun.   If you wanted a LHD (and why ugh - JB just why always LHD's?) why not pick Chychrun?   A year before the draft, he was even considered as a top 1 or 2 pick given his man sized body.  

Sergachev ... even McAvoy if you want a smallish PMD.    That would have been off board like Sieder, but a way better choice.    BPA OJ was not at all.   Did anyone even talk about him on the forum before he was picked?   I had to go look at my books/mags again, to see where he was ranked (at the time), wasn't at all in the 3-5th overall range, and sure wasn't even on the outskirts of my radar, had Chychrun, then Sergachev as maybes - OJ not one bit, because I didn't think we'd trade down that far.   Meanwhile MT was 2-4 by almost everyone, ahead of PLD who seemed to be who JB constantly talked about.   

OJ, the cocky draft pick, who at the time said "anyone can go to the gym, but you can't teach hockey smarts".... boy did that backfire on him in a big way.   Didn't seem like he ever figured that out watching him have an asthma attack after a bag skate.     Schenn and Miller saying hold my beer and virtually a half lap ahead of Horvat even on some of those drills.    Can't defend OJ as a pick anymore.   And I was actually one of those guys trying to preach patience.   

Reality is the scouts were right.    Prior to the WJ's was anywhere for a mid first round to and early second round.    That's exactly where he should have gone, actually a second rounder not a first at all.   Without his pedigree, and if he was say a 3rd round pick instead, I doubt he'd even get much further than Brisbois.   Who, actually seems to be working out. 

Edit:  Someone posted a video of a phone camera when it came time for our pick - fans were screaming Mathew's name.    This dialogue he said he wouldn't play for us is just fiction.   The fans knew we lucked out!   JB sure didn't.    Maybe if we drafted him, we wouldn't have got EP... quite likely we wouldn't have got QHs, that's the silver lining in picking OJ, but that's it.   Why we just passed on a kid with that lineage, and who just was super clutch on the way to the memorial cup ... was it 21 goals in 22 games?   Wow.   Absolute, complete, and total idiocy.   He was considered >> then PLD.    

meh even if we taken MT i doubt he makes a difference in our standing with our line up those years. we prolly still end up with EP and likely QH since EP didn't come over till after QH was drafted and MT prolly wouldn't explode coz he doesn't have a JG or lindholm or whoever else they had on the flames.