The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Finally listened to the 4 Canucks panels.

My $0.02

MILLER - Not going anywhere. Loves the coaching changes, working with Tocchet. Sees the good that is coming.

PETEY - Aloof, more concerned with his personal stats and development. But he's their best player, so, he'll be re-signed.

BOESER - Wants to stay in VAN, badly, and I think he does.

HRONEK - Optimistic, but he's the new guy just wanting to get to know his team mates.

HUGHES - Future Captain. Praises Demko and the coaching staff, optimistic and hungry for next year.

GARLAND - I think he's gone.

EKMAN-LARSSON - Disappointed in his season, I think he'll be better next year. Off-season training is expected.

DEMKO - Optimistic for next year and feels it's different than last year (winning down the stretch).

KUZMENKO - Just having fun, will be ready, wants to learn as much as he can.

MIKHEYEV - Excited for off season and he'll be 100% for next season.

MYERS - Really enjoyed being coached by Tocchet, hasn't had that kind of direction since his rookie year in BUF. He'll be better next year.

PEARSON - I think he's done. LTIR next season.

BEAR - Excited for this group, coaching staff is on the right track, optimistic.

BEAUVILLIER - Not a lot here, I think he's gone.

JOSHUA - Likes paying for Tocchet, has confidence and will take another step next year.

BURROUGHS - I think they re-sign him for a year (depth). He has his team mates backs.

Your pretty darn close. The only minor differences i believe will realistically end up happening is that Myers will also be gone along with BB6.    Other very slight opossibilities include Bear & Burroughs being replaced (or sent down - if possible) and last but not least - I still strongly believe that JR will listenen hard & intently to any offers for JTM and if the offer is golden - he'll go for it.

Don't be shocked if it happems because I think it has now sunk in with them after their "knee-jerk" reaction extending him last year when they we're so new with the team and were rushed into a decision, that if they don't unload JTM now before his NTC kicks-in, we might get a couple or so more good years out of him but thereafter we'll be stuck with him until the next decade (in the 2030's) when he'll be well past his "Expiry Date" and likely become the next L.E. or O.E.L. Albatross contract.   His production already dropped off over 20% this year as he went over the 30 y.o.hill this year and his new contract hasn't even kicked in! Think about that.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

And he still won’t have any value in a trade other than for cap floor teams and he can easily block trades to them. 
He is our problem until end of regular season next year. 

Correction; He is our problem until TDL next year where he will have actual value and a return. Unless we are trading him w/o retention and/or adding sweeteners, we should just ride him out. He is a CDC wiping boy; he is not actually that bad in a 3rd pairing role. You just need to get over his salary, which is gone after the year.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, they're going to have to make some tough moves regardless.  If they can move Myers and get something decent, I'm good with it.  But he'll have decent value at the tdl, so if they have to add a sweetener to move him in the summer, I'd prefer they wait.  This org isn't yet in a position to do that, imo 

He'll be a "sweet" P/U for one of the bottom feeder / Low budget teams this summer with his $1 salary and Massive $6M cap hit.    We are already stuck with OEL and can't retain two Big Boat-Anchors on the back-end if we have any hope of fixing our defense and getting out of the bottom of the league in the next few years.  O.E.L. can cause enough damage on his own, so we don't need Myers to make things worse - and OEL isn't going anywhere because I can't see FA writing a $20,000,000.00 Million Dollar cheque to dispose of him and "Hog Tying" our Cap for another almost Decade.   I think Aqua-Lini learned his lesson during the height of his meddling days with Luongo during the "Spaghetti Era" of this team.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

if you look at UFAs, there are actually a lot of options out there - Rodrigues, Compher, Bluegger, Barbashev, Ellers, plus some RFAs - ross

Tocchet just confirmed they need a 3C...but reiterated same as Alvin but sounds like he feels they need to add externally but name checked Aman - but only for face offs 

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

if you look at UFAs, there are actually a lot of options out there - Rodrigues, Compher, Bluegger, Barbashev, Ellers, plus some RFAs - ross

Tocchet just confirmed they need a 3C...but reiterated same as Alvin but sounds like he feels they need to add externally but name checked Aman - but only for face offs 

Acciari and Hayden are another two UFA C's that might fit what they're looking for better.

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm not listening to the press conference right now, but if the characterizations of him "joking" are true, I would question his ability to understand the situation he finds himself in.  Even if it's for levity, this really isn't the time or the place for "joking" around.

Why not? I've been all over this FO, but as long as he isnt taking shots at players nor coaches, and alittle bit of comedy related to JRs absence is good. To be honest, I'd rather he not be there; hate seeing JR's face since the whole BB fiasco. Once again, it was teh right move, but should have happened last summer.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except apparently that wasn't the first joke he cracked.  His negotations with Ethan Bear's agent was apparently the first one. (bottom of page 25 of this thread)

But Bear asking for anything greater than 1.5/1.8m is a joke :)....

• Cheers 2