The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MATHEW WOOD IS THE BEST PLAYER TO TAKE

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

On 5/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, Angry Goose said:

Barlow isnt a play driver? That’s a vague definition you rely on.

He forechecks very hard, can get to areas along the wall very quickly.  He takes a ton of pride in his D zone play.  He is essentially a very Tocchett like player.  Like Wood, with a good development staff working with him he is going to be a player you absolutely want on your team.

It’s funny tho how you compared Juolevi/Sergachev/McAvoy-Olli J being the far worst skater at the time.  Probably not the best analogy to rely on lol.

Its all about projection and risk.  I know mentally and athletically what you are getting with Barlow.  I love the traits he has.  With Wood (imo) there is far more risk, but that also comes w incredible upside if he hits.

I haven't seen much of either player but I have read his (Wood's) skating is improving. However, I am in full agreement with you. At 11 you can't take a 'risk of a bust' due to skating. You need to ensure you're getting a top 6 guy / top 4 dman who can push to top 3 / top 2. Those risks are for the second round. Wood may be Tage Thompson 2.0, he could also be Taylor Pyatt 2.0. As you said, its about 'projecting'. And while skating can be improved, and everyone always points to Bo, he is an outlier. Few players make the significant gains in skating like Bo. Many improve, but if it was that easy how come Boeser isn't skating as well as Bo 5 years into his career?

Given how fast the NHL has become, the most important things in drafting (IMHO) are skating, hockey IQ and compete. Defence can be taught, offensive skill is easily seen. What you can't teach / improve 'enough' are the first three. You either have them or you don't.

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Vintage 1