The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MATHEW WOOD IS THE BEST PLAYER TO TAKE

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

That's all well and good but those video highlights, pointing out his skating, are from this season. If that's his 'vastly improved' skating just how slow was he two - three years ago? The knock on Boeser was his skating. It has improved but nobody is calling Boeser fast.

If you turn the draft rankings in that video into 'consensus' he ranks 19th. Trade down?

On a few other forums, there are some that believe he is a sure-fire top 10 talent. Others believe he could go as high as 5. Personally dont see it, but speaks volumes to his potential and the end result after a solid development journey. 

Wood or Reinbacher for me unless Alvin thinks ASP is the 2nd coming of Hughes. 

1 minute ago, Seannnp said:

On a few other forums, there are some that believe he is a sure-fire top 10 talent. Others believe he could go as high as 5. Personally dont see it, but speaks volumes to his potential and the end result after a solid development journey. 

Wood or Reinbacher for me unless Alvin thinks ASP is the 2nd coming of Hughes. 

TSN has him 17th, Elite prospects 21, The Hockey Writers 17th, Sportsnet 14th, The Win Column 22nd, Bob Mackenzie 12th. Who has him as a sure fire top 10? I take it by "forums" you mean "fans". Personally I don't put much faith in that. Fans wanted Glass or Vilardi when we took Pettersson.

Truthfully I don't really care who they pick. I'm not a scout, and as seen above, even those who create draft rankings don't exactly agree. But if given the choice with a high pick, I'd take a good skater that needs to fill out his frame over a mediocre skater with good size. My guess is they'll either pick a d-man or a good skating forward with solid two way play. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:32 AM, hockeygod77 said:

CANUCKS HAVE HAD POOR CHOICES AT TIMES..TIME TO GET EVEN DONT GET MAD...HORRIBLE CHOICES FROM EUROPE AND RUSSIA..THIS WOOD KID IM TELLING YOU IS LIKE A MATHEW KATCHUK..I THINK HE GETS MEANER FASTER AND IS A TYPE OF PLAYER YOU WANT ON A TEAM....YOU CAN NOT BE 100 PER CENT CORRECT BUT IM NO SCOUT BUT I KNOW WHEN I SEE A GOOD PROSPECT...THIS KID WILL BE GOOD...IF THE VANUCKS DO NOT GET HIM THEY WILL REGRET YET ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY..

He doesn't skate well enough to be anything close to Tkachuk

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Love m some Zach Schroeder...errr Jordan Benson.  Get me some Gilbert Brule vibes from that boy!

Can't miss.

:bigblush:

Benson vs Schroeder… both undersized… other similarities i fail to see :canucks:  

2nd in whl in points for draft eligible players… one of the top defensive forwards. Not too shabby at 11

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Benson vs Schroeder… both undersized… other similarities i fail to see :canucks:  

2nd in whl in points for draft eligible players… one of the top defensive forwards. Not too shabby at 11

If you don't see why Benson and Kristal are worth some trepidation that's cool.

I get the same feelings from them I did schroeder 

4 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

DONT SAY I TOLD YOU SO...YOU MISSED OUT ON NEWHOOK...VS PODSKIN...TOO MANY FANCY JAZZY PLAYERS NEED SOME GRITTY SKILLED GUYS OR PLAYERS WITH HIGH IQ ..HE HAS IT THE WOOD KID..

It’s funny how guys who look at prospects for a living don’t agree with you…

Benson ; They need pick someone BIGGER and a little further along the puberty stage, no more puny players please!

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born May 12 2005 -- Chilliwack, BC 
[18 yrs. ago] 
Height 5.09 -- Weight 163[175 cm/74 kg]
Zachary Benson hockey player photo

Edited by chon derry
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

They need pick someone BIGGER and a little further along the puberty stage

Left Wing -- shoots L
[18 yrs. ago] 

Is this what Benson looks like at 18?

Lots of physical development left for him if that’s the case. He’s not anywhere near his ceiling. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this what Benson looks like at 18?

Lots of physical development left for him if that’s the case. He’s not anywhere near his ceiling. 

It’s From hockey DB the stats info is up to date don’t know about the picture if the nux are kickin tires I sure hope the pic is an old one. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

It’s From hockey DB the stats info is up to date don’t know about the picture if the nux are kickin tires I sure hope the pic is an old one. 

We don’t need any flankers. Need a centre or a defenseman.

Nice looking kid. Leave him for the man purse toting Laffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

Kicking tires.. more like lucky af if he falls to us every single scout has him ranked 5-10 from what i’ve seen

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Kicking tires.. more like lucky af if he falls to us every single scout has him ranked 5-10 from what i’ve seen

I hope not. Talented or not the Canucks don’t need any more shrimps! 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I’ve seen some where Benson drops out of the top 10. Love to get him. He’s our 2C in 3 years. 

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

Benson ; They need pick someone BIGGER and a little further along the puberty stage, no more puny players please!

Left Wing -- shoots L
[18 yrs. ago] 

Aww he even has a little saddle nose deformity :P

• Haha 2