The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Bennings legacy without the OEL trade. Grade him out of 10.

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

36 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Jim Benning was crap but this is one of the moves I give him a pass on.  He was filling a hole due to Boeser's injury in acquiring Toffoli and then he had no reason to expect COVID to come in and create a flat cap.

That said...I'm generally not big on trading anything for rentals...2nd rounders etc. for guys who are UFA at the end of that year.  I've seen too much of it over the years.  Derek Roy, Eric Weinrich and so on.  But nonetheless it is common practice and with the information Benning had at the time...that one was one of his...forgivable errors in my opinion.

Neither am I .

How many rebuilding teams even use assets on  rentals?

A 2nd rounder being at the bottom of league is like a late 1st rounder

As a rebuilding team we could not afford to be always throw picks away like we had on bottom 6 plugs, while over paying them

JB made huge amounts of mistakes in "building" a team, but I am not as generous as you on using assets on  a rental, who even wanted to stay (even cheap) and then let walk for nothing (I wanted Jake to walk for nothing rather than sign him

I did not agree with getting TT, but he was an asset we had to use or convert to a better pick than we spent to get him and still build

17 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

Neither am I .

How many rebuilding teams even use assets on  rentals?

A 2nd rounder being at the bottom of league is like a late 1st rounder

As a rebuilding team we could not afford to be always throw picks away like we had on bottom 6 plugs, while over paying them

JB made huge amounts of mistakes in "building" a team, but I am not as generous as you on using assets on  a rental, who even wanted to stay (even cheap) and then let walk for nothing (I wanted Jake to walk for nothing rather than sign him

I did not agree with getting TT, but he was an asset we had to use or convert to a better pick than we spent to get him and still build

I generally agree.  I just think Jim was planning to sign Toffoli and keep him in addition to his existing plans and that was probably viable when he expected the cap to go up.  Then COVID happened, flat cap...and Benning seemed to just get paralyzed by hesitation or something.

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I generally agree.  I just think Jim was planning to sign Toffoli and keep him in addition to his existing plans and that was probably viable when he expected the cap to go up.  Then COVID happened, flat cap...and Benning seemed to just get paralyzed by hesitation or something.

Wasn’t Benning aiming for OEL and the deal didn’t finalise. But by then Benning had lost Tanev and Toffoli due to lack of communications.

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I actually think JB on the whole benefited from COVID as it bought him more time (despite throwing a wrench into his likely longer term plans).  Team was going nowhere fast (actually in the wrong direction) before the season was abruptly shortened.  The "success" in the 'play-in' round & rest of that post-season gave a 'faux hope' in the immediate future of the club.  Remember, prior to that season, other than his first year as GM, team was a 'lottery pick team' every season.  And it wasn't even close to just a wild card spot.  But that's just my observation that ownership would've had a itchy trigger finger that they might've fired JB sooner.