The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2023-24

canuck2xtreme

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If it's $88m, we will be adding our 3% (or whatever it was) until GML expands to 32 teams again.

Out of curiosity how long are we going to wait before an expansion? If we had someone apply today are they waiting till next year so we all get a heads up?

5 minutes ago, Sludge said:

Out of curiosity how long are we going to wait before an expansion? If we had someone apply today are they waiting till next year so we all get a heads up?

Given the amount of trouble the exec went through for two years trying to fill those teams and the months of thought and discussion that went in to contraction, I don't think it's a pressing concern (unfortunately).

Edited by aGENT

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Given the amount of trouble the exec went through for two years trying to fill those teams and the months of thought and discussion that went in to contraction, I don't think it's a pressing concern (unfortunately).

Ya i don't doubt any of that, more than appreciate the effort put in to keep the league moving, but just in reference to the cap changes and 2 potential expansion drafts is there a idea for how long we'll wait before we entertain the idea of bringing back a team?

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I would guess that an expansion franchise is a much more attractive proposition than a neglected franchise.

I was offered the Ducks at one point and wasn't at all interested in taking on that roster, it was bare of assets and loaded with bad contracts.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Sludge said:

Ya i don't doubt any of that, more than appreciate the effort put in to keep the league moving, but just in reference to the cap changes and 2 potential expansion drafts is there a idea for how long we'll wait before we entertain the idea of bringing back a team?

Don't think there's a time frame, and honestly there's probably a couple clubs (though I've been too busy to pay much attention) who could potentially use more active GMs before we even think about expansion of two more teams anyway. Not speaking for the rest of the exec, but I think we'd be pretty happy just getting through a season with something near full participation at this point.

12 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I would guess that an expansion franchise is a much more attractive proposition than a neglected franchise.

I was offered the Ducks at one point and wasn't at all interested in taking on that roster, it was bare of assets and loaded with bad contracts.

Ayyup.

16 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Thats a good point, when I've played the EA NHL i always prefer to make my own team through the "Expansion Franchise" lol way more fun to create your teams identity yourself 

14 hours ago, Relyt Krets said:

SIGNING: The Colorado Avalanche Colorado Avalanche - Wikipedia have signed Lane Pederson to a two year deal

Colorado Avalanche - Wikipedia - Lane Pederson - 2 years x $1,550,000 ($775,000 AAV)

--------------------------

Could contain: Logo, Dynamite, Weapon, Food, Ketchup

Lane Pederson is showing as a qualified RFA on Chicago's list.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't think there's a time frame, and honestly there's probably a couple clubs (though I've been too busy to pay much attention) who could potentially use more active GMs before we even think about expansion of two more teams anyway. Not speaking for the rest of the exec, but I think we'd be pretty happy just getting through a season with something near full participation at this point.

Guess thats likely to fluctuate anyway as year to year people's lives change and their ability/desire to invest time changes. Was more curious about the gameplan but we'll make it work when the time comes ::D

1 minute ago, Sludge said:

Guess thats likely to fluctuate anyway as year to year people's lives change and their ability/desire to invest time changes. Was more curious about the gameplan but we'll make it work when the time comes ::D

If someone applies at some point during the season, we would take the necessary steps to speak with them and if they were wanting in, they'd have a chance to join as an AGM somewhere if they'd prefer to get a feel for the game while preparing to take their own team for the following season, or something to that effect. 

It really depends on the timeline and when we find someone.

If the Canucks could turn things around, that would really help.  When the Canucks are good, CDC is busier, and we have more people coming that may be interested.  Having them be a dumpster fire really hurts our GM recruitment lol

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

@canuck2xtreme

If the NHL is projecting a salary cap in 2024/25 in the area of $ 88 million how would that affect the GML cap limit in the 24/25 season. 

Does GML's cap number go up as much as the NHL by approximately $ 5.5 million or?

Thanks

NHL cap + 6.25% (rounded up or down to reasonably round number) = GML cap.

If we can add another GM and bring back the Ducks or Isles, that boost drops to 3%, and if we can add both, then NHL cap = GML cap.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

If someone applies at some point during the season, we would take the necessary steps to speak with them and if they were wanting in, they'd have a chance to join as an AGM somewhere if they'd prefer to get a feel for the game while preparing to take their own team for the following season, or something to that effect. 

It really depends on the timeline and when we find someone.

If the Canucks could turn things around, that would really help.  When the Canucks are good, CDC is busier, and we have more people coming that may be interested.  Having them be a dumpster fire really hurts our GM recruitment lol

Also the internet forum is just not a place where people congregate anymore.

Everyone is having these conversations that used to be had here on Reddit and Twitter, which also hurts growth.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, Sludge said:

Chicago has qualified

Gabe Vilardi

Ty Dellandrea

Alec Regula

Jett Woo

Justus Annunen

Philip Kurashev

Kieffer Bellows

Lane Pederson

21 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Lane Pederson is showing as a qualified RFA on Chicago's list.

Yes this looks to be the case as well. Was missed on the FA sheet. 

Will reach out to Colorado to discuss and edit the post

21 minutes ago, Relyt Krets said:

Yes this looks to be the case as well. Was missed on the FA sheet. 

Will reach out to Colorado to discuss and edit the post

If he is indeed qualified (can we confirm?) COL retracts the offer. No interest in offer sheets. Though a bit disappointed we don't get to add him :(

Assignment: The Pittsburgh Penguins assign Ty Smith and Kevin Stenlund 

Recall: The Pittsburgh Penguins recall Robby Fabbri

Hintz  Debrincat Forsberg

McTavish  Duchene  Johnson

Milano  Byfield  Krebs

Donato Greig Fabbri

Dunn Montour

Bouchard Hronek

Parayko Perunovich

Barron

Husso

Petersen

SIGNING: The Calgary Flames have signed Brandon Tanev to a four-year contract.

small.png: Brandon Tanev - Four-year deal worth $14.0 million dollars ($3.5m per season)

----------------------------------

arby18_ AGENCY

• Cheers 1

SIGNING: The New Jersey Devils have signed Artur Akhtiamov to a three-year contract.

small.png: Artur Akhtiamov - Three-year deal worth $2.925 million dollars ($975k per season)

----------------------------------

arby18_ AGENCY

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

We took this team over just prior to the 2020 draft, and though we had a decent squad it just screamed "mediocrity". We knew we had to do a complete tear down and build the squad up.

The roster below is pretty much the situation we walked in to. We may be missing a few pieces that we let walk, but these are all the pieces from the previous regime that we moved out. We also had the #1 overall selection (Alexis Lafreniere).

Could contain: Text

We have just past over 3 year anniversary as the Maple Leafs GM, and we are very proud of the team we have assembled. From top to bottom we feel we have a team that is both ready to win now, and we think our prospect pool is up there with a lot of the rebuilding teams. 1 area we lack is maybe how good our current AHL depth is, but it's still a pretty decent squad down there in Cape Breton, and we should be seeing a good chunk of young kids getting looks in the NHL as soon as this upcoming season.

Here is the transformation we made in the 3 years as GM. 

Could contain: Text, Page

Over the 3 years we have won and lost many trades, but somehow managed to get the assets to allow us to make 3 separate huge trades that would completely shift the future of our franchise. The turn around started in the 2021 draft (our 2nd draft). We were set to pick #5, and we had Luke Hughes #1 on our board despite the foot injury he had. We knew he'd likely fall anywhere between 3-5. After failing to move up to the #1 spot, we moved up from 5 to 3 and hoped that would get us Luke. Sure enough it did, and we couldn't be happier, because it was the true turning point that stared us in the direction we went.

After drafting Luke Hughes, we noticed both Quinn & Jack Hughes's GMs were replaced, so we were hopeful they'd be looking to put their own stamps on their teams like many do. Sure enough it worked. It wasn't easy, it took a lot of back and forth discussion to finally land both of the brothers, but we managed to pull it off nonetheless.

However it didn't end there. Not too long after acquiring the Hughes trio, McDavid team hired a new GM and they put McDavid on the board. We knew if we were to get him paired with the Hughes brothers it would pretty much complete our rebuild, and then we could focus on adding the depth around them to contend for the cup. We had a lot of assets available and we put together an offer so big it was nearly impossible for the new GM to say no to. The offer included recent #1 & 2 picks Lafreniere & Byfield, and much more.

McDavid joined us with 5 years left on his deal. We knew that would be our immediate window, but also knew the first 2 of the 5 years would be spent putting the right pieces around them. We opted to go 4 years instead of 8 on both Quinn and Jack to save $2m aav. That will likely bite us later, but we felt it was the right thing to do if we wanted to put a great team together during this McDavid deal. We have said 2023-24 season is when our rebuild will be complete, and we are proud to be able to say we came through on our promise. We hope we made the fans proud, and we hope to have 1 more gift for them in the coming days! :ph34r:

We are hoping to have McDavid beyond his 5 year deal, but that depends on quite a few things. Salary cap being a big 1. We are married to the Hughes brothers, so unless there's a way to keep McDavid & them 3 we will likely have to let him walk. The fans hope he will take a hometown discount when that day comes, but how much would he really be willing to leave on the table to stay home in Toronto?

McDavid had this to say when asked about taking a hometown discount.

"I still have 3 years left on my deal, so I'm not even thinking about that right now. All I care about is helping my hometown team win the Stanley Cup next year. GM Gator has done a tremendous job putting this team together, and I'm very excited to see how it plays out over the next 3 years."

We're still a few months away from the season opener, but there's a lot of buzz in the city of Toronto, and fans can't wait for the season to begin. Going to be a very entertaining season for Maple Leafs fans worldwide!

8 minutes ago, Gator said:

We took this team over just prior to the 2020 draft, and though we had a decent squad it just screamed "mediocrity". We knew we had to do a complete tear down and build the squad up.

The roster below is pretty much the situation we walked in to. We may be missing a few pieces that we let walk, but these are all the pieces from the previous regime that we moved out. We also had the #1 overall selection (Alexis Lafreniere).

Could contain: Text

We have just past over 3 year anniversary as the Maple Leafs GM, and we are very proud of the team we have assembled. From top to bottom we feel we have a team that is both ready to win now, and we think our prospect pool is up there with a lot of the rebuilding teams. 1 area we lack is maybe how good our current AHL depth is, but it's still a pretty decent squad down there in Cape Breton, and we should be seeing a good chunk of young kids getting looks in the NHL as soon as this upcoming season.

Here is the transformation we made in the 3 years as GM. 

Could contain: Text, Page

Over the 3 years we have won and lost many trades, but somehow managed to get the assets to allow us to make 3 separate huge trades that would completely shift the future of our franchise. The turn around started in the 2021 draft (our 2nd draft). We were set to pick #5, and we had Luke Hughes #1 on our board despite the foot injury he had. We knew he'd likely fall anywhere between 3-5. After failing to move up to the #1 spot, we moved up from 5 to 3 and hoped that would get us Luke. Sure enough it did, and we couldn't be happier, because it was the true turning point that stared us in the direction we went.

After drafting Luke Hughes, we noticed both Quinn & Jack Hughes's GMs were replaced, so we were hopeful they'd be looking to put their own stamps on their teams like many do. Sure enough it worked. It wasn't easy, it took a lot of back and forth discussion to finally land both of the brothers, but we managed to pull it off nonetheless.

However it didn't end there. Not too long after acquiring the Hughes trio, McDavid team hired a new GM and they put McDavid on the board. We knew if we were to get him paired with the Hughes brothers it would pretty much complete our rebuild, and then we could focus on adding the depth around them to contend for the cup. We had a lot of assets available and we put together an offer so big it was nearly impossible for the new GM to say no to. The offer included recent #1 & 2 picks Lafreniere & Byfield, and much more.

McDavid joined us with 5 years left on his deal. We knew that would be our immediate window, but also knew the first 2 of the 5 years would be spent putting the right pieces around them. We opted to go 4 years instead of 8 on both Quinn and Jack to save $2m aav. That will likely bite us later, but we felt it was the right thing to do if we wanted to put a great team together during this McDavid deal. We have said 2023-24 season is when our rebuild will be complete, and we are proud to be able to say we came through on our promise. We hope we made the fans proud, and we hope to have 1 more gift for them in the coming days! :ph34r:

We are hoping to have McDavid beyond his 5 year deal, but that depends on quite a few things. Salary cap being a big 1. We are married to the Hughes brothers, so unless there's a way to keep McDavid & them 3 we will likely have to let him walk. The fans hope he will take a hometown discount when that day comes, but how much would he really be willing to leave on the table to stay home in Toronto?

McDavid had this to say when asked about taking a hometown discount.

"I still have 3 years left on my deal, so I'm not even thinking about that right now. All I care about is helping my hometown team win the Stanley Cup next year. GM Gator has done a tremendous job putting this team together, and I'm very excited to see how it plays out over the next 3 years."

We're still a few months away from the season opener, but there's a lot of buzz in the city of Toronto, and fans can't wait for the season to begin. Going to be a very entertaining season for Maple Leafs fans worldwide!

200.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1