The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

13 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

And? Does that not make them a Stanley Cup finalist?

Why do you keep mentioning "Cup finalist" as if somehow that is validation of your opinion of OEL? "Cup finalists" and President's Trophy winning Vancouver Canucks traded for David Booth...

This logic is almost as convoluted as "OEL is a more well-rounded player than Hughes" because apparently the latter is too good at offense...

Edited by dougieL
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, dougieL said:

Wait a second...are you suggesting that OEL could have gotten more term/AAV, but decided to do the Panthers a solid by taking a one-year deal with low AAV because he figured he was already making enough from the Canucks?

Nope where did I say that? 

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nope where did I say that? 

You said bought-out players generally get paid less because they are already getting paid by their former team, and not because they are bad. So what other logical conclusion can one come to?

51 minutes ago, dougieL said:

You said bought-out players generally get paid less because they are already getting paid by their former team, and not because they are bad. So what other logical conclusion can one come to?

Benefit to bought out players you can get a decent player at a reduced cost cause another team is also paying him 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Benefit to bought out players you can get a decent player at a reduced cost cause another team is also paying him 

So then you are indeed suggesting that these bought-out players will take less than they can garner because they figure they're making enough money already...

9 hours ago, dougieL said:

So then you are indeed suggesting that these bought-out players will take less than they can garner because they figure they're making enough money already...

That is literally what happens, especially when they go to contending teams. Mind boggling you can’t grasp this. 

Call me a weirdo, but I think OEL may do well in the new environs....less pressure, the Swede factor (Ekblad, Forsling) and Montour already on D, and a chance to find his game again, may be motivating factors...I did say may be haha.

He could also be ass, and continue to play with one hand on the stick, and the other on the paycheque, (albeit a smaller one now). We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Call me a weirdo, but I think OEL may do well in the new environs....less pressure, the Swede factor (Ekblad, Forsling) and Montour already on D, and a chance to find his game again, may be motivating factors...I did say may be haha.

He could also be ass, and continue to play with one hand on the stick, and the other on the paycheque, (albeit a smaller one now). We'll see.

You mean 3 paycheques.....

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

As long as he stays healthy this season, I expect he is going to have a bit of a bounce back. My prediction is he will score around 30 points and get some use on the 2nd PP and 2nd PK units and ultimately be a solid 2nd pairing guy. He will play above his current cap hit but just not at what his previous one was (I'm expecting roughly 4M cap hit quality play). Having their top 2 RDs injured in Ekblad and Montour to start the season is definitely going to hurt Florida though. Their season outcome probably depends on how quickly they come back.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That is literally what happens, especially when they go to contending teams. Mind boggling you can’t grasp this. 

So this is your claim: 1/3 of the NHL was interested in OEL, and he could have gotten more term/AAV, but decided to take a one-year deal worth only 2.25m because he feels he is already making enough money.

4 minutes ago, dougieL said:

So this is your claim: 1/3 of the NHL was interested in OEL, and he could have gotten more term/AAV, but decided to take a one-year deal worth only 2.25m because he feels he is already making enough money.

Those are words you have put in my mouth, I heard rumours of numerous teams being interested in him (Edmonton, Boston, Carolina, Tampa,  Detroit, Florida, Seattle, Vegas) maybe not 1/3 but potato potahto.  

I’m not OEL or his agent so I don’t know why he signed with Florida or if he took less to do so. I also don’t know what other offers there were or if anyone offered more. 

It’s not brain surgery dude players bought out sign for significantly less the advantage to BOTH sides is another team is also paying said player.  So the bought out player can sign to a winning team that is cap strapped or sign with a team that is a good fit to boost their next deal. 

Again why you fail to grasp this is mind boggling. 

• Haha 1