The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Irwin | #52 | D

-AJ-

Despite the two-way contract, Irwin hasn't played in the AHL since 2016-17, so I'm gonna place him here.

Could contain: Text, Adult, Male, Man, Person

Could contain: Text, Page, Calendar, Blackboard

Could contain: Text, Calendar, Page

Could contain: Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Text, Monitor, Screen, Chart, Plot

Note that the media release says a two-way contract, so the Minors Salary is likely an amount lower than the Base Salary.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Some info of note:

- Looks to probably be a 6/7 guy at this point in his career

- I think he's now the oldest player on the Canucks? Will turn 36 years old early in the season.

- Average size for an NHL defenseman

- Fairly high hit frequency

- Moderate block frequency

- Slightly worse than average giveaway/takeaway ratio

- Takes about as many penalties as he draws, which is surprising for a DFD

- Used a little on PK2 last year and was very good in that short time

- Almost no PP time

- Expect less than 10 points--offense is almost non-existent with Irwin

- Heavy defensive usage with 38.6% oZS%

- Decent CORSI given his usage

yeah he will be in battle with Wolanin - Juulsen -- Brisebois -- Hirose-- Johanssen--Irwin --McWard   for #6--7 spot

Good to have Irwin in AHL show young prospect w

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 11:34 PM, wildcam said:

yeah he will be in battle with Wolanin - Juulsen -- Brisebois -- Hirose-- Johanssen--Irwin --McWard   for #6--7 spot

Good to have Irwin in AHL show young prospect w

Seems like he was signed to be our 7th D, so the kids can develop in Abby vs sitting in the pressbox

• Like 1

Young guys are ready, Irwin maybe #9 .. I think the opposite he can help young guys in Abby show them some detail of what it takes to be a pro..Irwin #8 - #9--Just depth,  will be 36  in November..

Wolanin, Juulsen, Hirose, should be a heads of him..Johassen RD 23 could be ready for some NHL time by Dec?

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Young guys are ready, Irwin maybe #9 .. I think the opposite he can help young guys in Abby show them some detail of what it takes to be a pro..Irwin #8 - #9--Just depth,  will be 36  in November..

Wolanin, Juulsen, Hirose, should be a heads of him..Johassen RD 23 could be ready for some NHL time by Dec?

Last 2 seasons averaged 12--13 min TOI---Left younger player break in that are ready playing 13--15 mins that have done there time in AHL for last 2--3 years.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Poor bastard doesn’t even have a jersey number yet.

Given his two-way deal, he might not be in Vancouver, so that could be why. Personally, I expect he's already a near lock for the #7 guy on the team, though he could earn his way into the bottom pairing if he plays well enough. He fits well at the #7 though--young guys will either get ice time on the bottom pairing or play big minutes in Abbotsford.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Island-raised hockey player Matt Irwin on the Vancouver Canucks

https://www.cheknews.ca/island-raised-hockey-player-matt-irwin-signs-with-vancouver-canucks-1163253/

A professional hockey player from Vancouver Island will soon be lacing up with the Vancouver Canucks.

Longtime NHL player Matt Irwin, from Brentwood Bay, will be joining the Canucks for the next season.

“It’s absolutely amazing,” he told CHEK News on Thursday while training on the Saanich Peninsula. “They were my favourite team growing up, obviously.”

“Pretty excited, pretty honoured, and very humbling to pull this jersey over my head,” he added.

Irwin first joined the NHL in 2010, when he signed with the San Jose Sharks as a free agent.

Since then, he’s played for the Boston Bruins, Nashville Predators, Anaheim Ducks, Buffalo Sabres and Washington Capitals.

The Canucks will be the seventh team the Island-raised hockey pro has played for.

“As you get older, you realize how hard it is to, one, stay in the league, find a role for yourself,” he said.

“The game’s getting so young so fast and obviously you don’t stay young, and you definitely don’t stay fast,” he said with a laughed. “But you just have to find a way to play to your strengths and find a role in the team, and I think I’ve been able to do that over the course of my career and that’s what’s kept me around.”

Now, more than a decade into his NHL career, Irwin says he’s happy to be close to friends in family back in B.C.

His young son has also started to take up the sport.

“It’s awesome, he’s working on his new jersey,” he said.

“He was born in Nashville, so for him to come out here and see where dad played when he was young and where he first started playing [is special].”

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 11:45 PM, -AJ- said:

Given his two-way deal, he might not be in Vancouver, so that could be why. Personally, I expect he's already a near lock for the #7 guy on the team, though he could earn his way into the bottom pairing if he plays well enough. He fits well at the #7 though--young guys will either get ice time on the bottom pairing or play big minutes in Abbotsford.

I hope he wears #98.

Always wanted a Canuck to wear that number.

• -AJ- changed the title to Matt Irwin | #52 | D
  • 4 weeks later...