The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Scraping the bottom of the barrel - finding a backup goalie in free agency?

Spencer should be given the chance to play a quarter of the games he played last season. We can afford it with OG Demko back. Martin will play up on watching Demmers and we can actually trade Martin knowing who is down in Abby. 

We dont need to shop for another knowing who is coming up between the pipe.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Spencer should be given the chance to play a quarter of the games he played last season. We can afford it with OG Demko back. Martin will play up on watching Demmers and we can actually trade Martin knowing who is down in Abby. 

Time will tell which Demko Shows up this season. He could be great, but He still has an extensive injury history and could just as easily be terrible again.  

5 hours ago, Pears said:

I personally feel like Silovs is ready for a backup role, but I wouldn’t be opposed to starting him in Abbotsford and calling him up if Martin starts to falter. Although I’d be just fine with Martin as a backup as that’s what he’s best suited for. 

Thing is though a goalie needs reps and constant pressure.
Look at what happened to DiPietro without meaningful competition. He became a practice goalie. His height didn’t help his chances any either but Saros is an example of it not being a limiting factor if you you’re afforded proper development.

I wouldn’t say he is being rushed, but you run the risk of complicating Silovs development if he’s played outside of the regular rhythm that he’s used to.  Still has a bit to prove imho, but in agreement with you in that he should at this time be the eventual call up in the role. Bright future. 

In the meantime, I would at least PTO a vet G in camp and force that level of competition to see who excels. 
I like Elliot in that role. Just a question of who sees Van as a legit playing option or stepping stone to a contract elsewhere. 

And to add to the mix…who does Tocchet trust as a backup? Maybe he sees a vet as a catalyst to his success rather than an AHL starter playing above level? He needs wins this season from whomever can get them for him. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Time will tell which Demko Shows up this season. He could be great, but He still has an extensive injury history and could just as easily be terrible again.  

Yah, I disagree. Demko starting last year was obviously still affected, and ending the year was obviously healed. which is why I referred to him as OG Demko. Cause he is back, baybee.

2 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Yah, I disagree. Demko starting last year was obviously still affected, and ending the year was obviously healed. which is why I referred to him as OG Demko. Cause he is back, baybee.

Maybe.  We'll see.  

On 8/27/2023 at 9:05 PM, EastCoastNucks said:

I agree that Martin should get the initial opportunity to backup Demko. We don't have the cap to sign a quality veteran backup. Shipping out players to create cap for a backup goaltender would perhaps be counter productive.

That leaves us with Martin and Silovs. I would look to take advantage of having the farm just an hour down the road. When we have home games and Abbie is at home, I would look to give Silovs a game or two on those home stands. Martin would of course be spelling Demko on the road and at home when Abbie is out of town.

This way Silovs and Martin could roughly split the backup games. Silovs would also be playing a lot for Abbotsford which is what he needs, lots and lots of playing time.

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

I agree that Martin should get the initial opportunity to backup Demko. We don't have the cap to sign a quality veteran backup. Shipping out players to create cap for a backup goaltender would perhaps be counter productive.

That leaves us with Martin and Silovs. I would look to take advantage of having the farm just an hour down the road. When we have home games and Abbie is at home, I would look to give Silovs a game or two on those home stands. Martin would of course be spelling Demko on the road and at home when Abbie is out of town.

This way Silovs and Martin could roughly split the backup games. Silovs would also be playing a lot for Abbotsford which is what he needs, lots and lots of playing time.

Not necessarily true. We have an abundance of smaller wingers. If one of them was moved, we could sign a cheap veteran goaltender and put Martin in Abbotsford.

2 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Not necessarily true. We have an abundance of smaller wingers. If one of them was moved, we could sign a cheap veteran goaltender and put Martin in Abbotsford.

If Demko goes down for any length of time we might be wishing that we had done more to obtain a quality veteran backup goaltender. That we had packaged up a forward with the necessary inducements to create that cap space.

Myself, I am believing that Silovs may become that quality backup. We will have to continue to bring him along. I wouldn't want to sign a veteran backup for multiple years as this may unduly block Silovs from moving up, assuming that he will be ready to backup in a year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Artemus said:

If Demko goes down for any length of time we might be wishing that we had done more to obtain a quality veteran backup goaltender. That we had packaged up a forward with the necessary inducements to create that cap space.

Myself, I am believing that Silovs may become that quality backup. We will have to continue to bring him along. I wouldn't want to sign a veteran backup for multiple years as this may unduly block Silovs from moving up, assuming that he will be ready to backup in a year.

Agreed. Sign a veteran backup to a one year deal and see how Silovs develops. If he’s still not ready, that veteran can always be re-signed for another year.