The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

42 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

To win the championship in a championship fight you aren't allowed any weight overage though.

But it wasn't a championship fight at the time he weighed in, which is why he didn't remove his underwear... 

The NYSAC retrospectively weighed his underwear, thus allowing him to fight for the title (though Dana had already said eff the NYSAC, he's fighting for the title anyway).

47 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

But it wasn't a championship fight at the time he weighed in, which is why he didn't remove his underwear... 

The NYSAC retrospectively weighed his underwear, thus allowing him to fight for the title (though Dana had already said eff the NYSAC, he's fighting for the title anyway).

Not strictly true....  I have it bookmarked where Ariel specifically asks him.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bocivus said:

I'm still deciding if I'm going to spend the money for this card.

The only time I ever pay for UFC anymore is if I'm having friends over and we go in on it. Either that or I'll go to a bar, or find other means to watch it.....other means. It's incredibly easy to not have to pay these days for sports.

....or so I hear.

Edited by DollarAndADream
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Rogan has to stop saying Iaquinta can win the championship.  Officially he still can't according to the NYSAC executive director.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/7/17210992/nysac-executive-director-kim-sumbler-explains-why-al-iaquinta-couldnt-be-champion-at-ufc-223

“Al Iaquinta was presented to me and we did everything we could to put that together with the UFC and we agreed to a five-round fight against Khabib,” NYSAC executive director Kim Sumbler told MMA Fighting. “Khabib gets to fight for the title and Al doesn’t. It was over the time limit for him to weigh-in a second time and he had already rehydrated, so there was no way, it wasn’t a possibility.”

White said that Iaquinta’s underwear, which he wore on the scale, was weighed following the official weigh-ins and that it summed up the amount that Iaquinta needed to be eligible to compete in championship fights: 0.2 pounds. But even with that, the NYSAC can’t allow Iaquinta to compete for the UFC lightweight belt.

“I think that the UFC was hoping that we could do that, but unfortunately, the rules and regulations are written and we’re not allow to weigh articles of clothing, we have to weigh the opponent himself,” Sumbler explained. “Unfortunately, it’s not a simple matter where we can subtract an article of clothing from what he weighed in as, so his official weight was recorded at 155.2 and that’s what we have to stick with.” 

Sumbler said that the UFC is aware of Iaquinta’s eligibility to compete for a belt. She also added that the UFC weighed Iaquinta’s underwear and not the commission.

Edited by SabreFan1