The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I don't mind the ufc. I don't mind the fighters in the ufc. I just don't care for the douchebag minority owner/ head of the promotion. Find his video blog from before the fights tonight and tell me that you have any respect for the guy at all.

Oh, I'll totally agree that the guy is a total douchebag, and part of the reason why my friends who are 'serious' sports fans will never get into MMA.

Being said, he does know the sport, he knows how to get the guys who will put on good fights, and his fighters, with the exception of Fedor and a couple of others, are the best in the world.

Also, I think I realized today I don't care for Joe Rogan. He's extremely unprofessional, shows up to fights in tacky clothing, unshaven, high, and prattles on about stuff not relevant to the current fight. He's a good post-fight interviewer, however. Goldberg and Buffer are terrific, but they might want to get a new colour guy. As much as I dislike Frank Mir, he does a good job with WEC broadcasts. Can't wait for the first crop of intelligent fighters to retire and start to broadcast, because I may have had enough of Joe.

Oh, I'll totally agree that the guy is a total douchebag, and part of the reason why my friends who are 'serious' sports fans will never get into MMA.

Being said, he does know the sport, he knows how to get the guys who will put on good fights, and his fighters, with the exception of Fedor and a couple of others, are the best in the world.

Also, I think I realized today I don't care for Joe Rogan. He's extremely unprofessional, shows up to fights in tacky clothing, unshaven, high, and prattles on about stuff not relevant to the current fight. He's a good post-fight interviewer, however. Goldberg and Buffer are terrific, but they might want to get a new colour guy. As much as I dislike Frank Mir, he does a good job with WEC broadcasts. Can't wait for the first crop of intelligent fighters to retire and start to broadcast, because I may have had enough of Joe.

I have trouble with listening to Joe Rogan too. I don't like listening to Randy either when he's on. Mir isn't bad. The other guy I like when he's involved is Josh Barnett. He knows his stuff. He's articulate and has no chance of getting a job in the UFC. LOL. Local Boy Mauro Renallo is probably the best in the business when it comes to calling a fight.

The other thing that should be mentioned is that as long as the UFC is headed up by Dana white. There is no chance they will ever get any real major sponsors.

Edited by Harbinger

I'd qualify Bud Light and Harley as major sponsors, as well several Blockbuster movies that cross-promote.

But yeah, until Dana's gone from UFC than the stereotype about MMA will never be gone. That goes for all the promotions as well.

After what Rashad showed last night I have no doubt in my mind that Rampage would absolutely murder him.

I don't know. I think they are pretty evenly matched. I don't like rashad at all. But I don't think rampage is immensely superior in any facet of the game.

Was anybody else pissed of that Rashad won like that.

Sure i like both Rashad and Silva,

Rashad won because he took silva down sat on him for a bit, did not do any real damage

On the other hand silva rocked rashad but just culdent finish

The fight ended: Guy who did more damage lost.

Maybe some sort of new judging could help?

Thoughts?

Was anybody else pissed of that Rashad won like that.

Sure i like both Rashad and Silva,

Rashad won because he took silva down sat on him for a bit, did not do any real damage

On the other hand silva rocked rashad but just culdent finish

The fight ended: Guy who did more damage lost.

Maybe some sort of new judging could help?

Thoughts?

They need to try to go to the japanese style of scoring where ring control means nothing and take downs don't mean a lot either. The winner is the guy who does the most to win or actually wins. It removes the lay and pray as a way to win. and it gets rid of the just leaning on a guy to try to get the win.

They need to try to go to the japanese style of scoring where ring control means nothing and take downs don't mean a lot either. The winner is the guy who does the most to win or actually wins. It removes the lay and pray as a way to win. and it gets rid of the just leaning on a guy to try to get the win.

yea thats what i was thinking, ive seen this happen too many times

and i think it kills a good fight when one guy is just leaning on the other and not doing anything

I don't know. I think they are pretty evenly matched. I don't like rashad at all. But I don't think rampage is immensely superior in any facet of the game.

Rampage would not hold back on Rashad. One punch like yesterdays and Rampage would pounce.

Rashad wouldn't be able to take Rampage down. Rampage would beat Rashad in the clinch/dirty boxing game. Rampage, while not as quick of a striker, has very well established technical striking. Also, Rampage's ground game is very good, not in the submission/BJJ aspect, but in the strength/control/ground and pound aspects. I say it again: Rampage will murder Rashad Evans.

Rashad wouldn't be able to take Rampage down. Rampage would beat Rashad in the clinch/dirty boxing game. Rampage, while not as quick of a striker, has very well established technical striking. Also, Rampage's ground game is very good, not in the submission/BJJ aspect, but in the strength/control/ground and pound aspects. I say it again: Rampage will murder Rashad Evans.

I too am a huge rampage fan. But I don't think there is any sort of clear cut dominance. Rampage is a hot and cold fighter. Sometimes he's on and other times he's not. You don't always know which Rampage is coming to the fight.

one punch is gonna end this fight...

but i sure hope its not like rashad vs silva

where rashad is gonna be dancing around the ring not doing anything

But once rampage gets ahold of rashad it could easily be over

But also if Rashad can accualy do somthing on the ground it could be ugly for rampage

That's your argument against Rampage? I didn't say all of that simply because I'm a Rampage fan, I said those things because they are true, regardless of who I'm a fan of.

All those things are opinion. That's the magic of discussing these things. On any given night I think that either one of these guys could walk out the winner.

On any given night, sure, either guy could win. On any given night I could defeat Rashad Evans. But, if you really analyze the two fighters Rampage has the better skills in almost every area. Rashad is way faster and his striking is much quicker, that is definite. Rampage is stronger, has a better ground game, and is much better in the clinch. Not to mention the experience factor. Those are definite as well. Given what we know about the two fighters, I believe Rampage will be the clear winner in the fight. Of course, like you say, on any given night Rashad could win as well, but 9 times out of 10 I'd go with Rampage. The odds of that 1 time happening on that night are slimmer than the odds of Rampage's 9.