The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

OH MY LORD, IT'S BURRSDAY!

Hey debluvscanucks, in honour of Alex's 500th game, how about fixing the subtitle of this OP to its original title. "do we really need him?" It makes this thread even more poignant. It highlights the attitude that Burrows had to put up with all his life, silencing the critiics and making some of them...coughMacleancough...eat their words.

Edited by kilgore

Hey debluvscanucks, in honour of Alex's 500th game, how about fixing the subtitle of this OP to its original title. "do we really need him?" It makes this thread even more poignant. It highlights the attitude that Burrows had to put up with all his life, silencing the critiics and making some of them...coughMacleancough...eat their words.

OK, will do....

Congrats Burr......My man playing his 500th game in the NHL....Its been a sweet journey with more to come and I am lucky that I was along on it from the start...Here's to another 500 Burr......Can't say enough but THANK YOU MR. CLUTCH (both of them...lol)

Fav Burrs Moment....

First career hatrick and how Kes was interogating him if he really scored that goal...

Jabs between Burr and Juice

Bourdon Tribute Night, the two goals against Calgary and the bow and arrow salute....

Win the Turd.....

Slew Foot...

All the goals against the hated Maple Laffs especially the tying goal when Sundin went back to Air Canada Centre

Back to Back Hatricks

Shorthanded goal against Carolina that turned the season around.....

Every shorthand goal especially the patented backhand.....

OT goal against St. Louis to sweep...

OT goal against Boston in game 2 of Stanley Cup

And my all time favourite......When he slayed the Dragon...

O

• Upvote 1

In recognition of an already great career in the NHL, let's celebrate Burr's 500th with a dance party and some songs they've written about him.

"Burr, Burr, Burr, Burr, Burr, Burr, Burr is the word...."

"Burr baby, Burr"

Feel free to contribute....

If you don't appreciate what burrows means to this team, you have not been following this team for long. It's like the Red Wings getting rid of Holmstrom. He's a Canucks lifer who has been clutch every season. He's been loyal and really started the culture of taking less money for the success of the collective group. You mention Anson Carter, but we also went through a bunch of guys like Bernier and Pyatt with little success until we found Burrows.

There are so many ways in which you are blatantly wrong in your assessment of Burrows. But I don't want to wast my energy in educating a bandwagon fan.

This 'bandwagon jumper' still has his white towel from the =82 cup finals, so allow me to continue to educate... people talk about Burrows value on the PK, how he is good for 2 million, and how me brings 'energy' to the bench. That is exactly why he should be traded. We have lots of guys who can work the PK and he is good value for 2 million, which is why he makes such great trade bait. You could probably send him to Columbus for Jeff Carter straight up. And I promise you, AV would be robbing them blind. You put Jeff Carter on that wing and I guarantee he scores more big goals than burrows ever did.

As for bench presence, lets put on our bigboy pants everyone. This is a business, and the Canucks can use him to make themselves better. I bet scoring more goals helps on the bench too. The idea of 'Canucks for life' is ridiculous. If you feel nostalgic, hire him back when he is winding down his career like they did with Linden. He takes lazy penalties and doesn't provide anything that others on the team couldn't quickly step in to do. He is not a team leader and shouldn't be treated as untouchable. If teams want him, then let them offer up what they have and lets get above market value for him while the getting is good.

I don't have a hate on for the guy, I just think he is overvalued and now is the time to cash in on it. There are deals that could be made with him that would make the team better today. I would rather have a stronger run at the cup this year and worry about the repercussions in summer as I think back fondly to how awesome it was when we won the cup in thanks to those key players we picked up in February when we moved expendable overvalued players like burrows.