The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

i was about to mention that too.. I LOVE IT! it was too funny. Burrows probably knows Murph was a pretty funny guy so I think he's just trying to poke fun at Murph. I think the media and the players are actually pretty close in this market.

no need to do any apology or anything. they always poke fun at each other. I still remember murph was making fun of glass' hair during the superskill. Good stuff.

Did you notice when Murph was interviewing Burr in the first intermission, and Murph says burrows got his 34th goal, and Burrows his trying to tell him it was his 35th goal, thought it was pretty funny, lol towel.gif

Lol I did notice that. Burrows was walking away and said 35 to Murph, haha Bur is greeat.

I think we all should first get VERY drunk then round up Murph, tie him to a fence and break every bone in his body with our bare fists. While we're punching the living daylights out of him, we should all say variations of the same thing, "You filthy liar! Take it back! Burrows has 35!"

• Upvote 3

Pretty sure the boys get along with Murph...

There was one instance early in the year where SOB was being interviewed, and as the game came back on from commercial, adn SOB saw them in the monitor, he says "There's a couple of good looking boys, EH MURPH?!" Murph has a smile but tries to keep his composure adn not even acknowledge what was said.

SOB's a beauty...

Pretty sure the boys get along with Murph...

There was one instance early in the year where SOB was being interviewed, and as the game came back on from commercial, adn SOB saw them in the monitor, he says "There's a couple of good looking boys, EH MURPH?!" Murph has a smile but tries to keep his composure adn not even acknowledge what was said.

SOB's a beauty...

At the Roxy he's a beauty

3 of the teams Burrows has played for don't even exist anymore. THAT'S how far he's come!

It’s an even better story than Slapshot.

Alex Burrows’ former ECHL franchises couldn’t survive, let alone thrive, but Burrows is now a player who could score 40 goals in the NHL this season.

The Greenville Grrrowl? Gone.

The Baton Rouge Kingfish? Now the Victoria Salmon Kings.

The Columbia Inferno? They promise to call when they come back to town.

Burrows played for them all, riding buses overnight and eating cheap greasy food, never giving up on his dream of playing hockey for a living, but never daring to dream he’d be one of the top goal-scorers in the NHL one day.

“It’s funny those teams don’t even exist any more,” Burrows said Wednesday. “At the same time, it was a fun time playing for those teams.”

When Burrows hit his pre-season target of bettering last year’s career high of 28 goals on March 5, he was on pace for 35 this season.

Now that he has 35, with six games remaining, 40 isn’t out of the realm of the possible.

“Right now I’m honestly not thinking about it,” he said. “Maybe in the summer I’ll reflect on it all.”

Burrows doesn’t seem to have changed at all from the Moose call-up who was making the NHL minimum when he arrived just four years ago and scored seven goals in 43 games.

He followed that campaign with three goals in a full season and was told by coach Alain Vigneault in his out-going interview to contribute more or get used to buses again.

We all know what happened since.

But c’mon: After scoring 10 goals in the first half of this season, Burrows has 25 in the last 35 games.

That pace over 82 games is 59 goals.

Not only that, he gets almost no power-play time compared with the NHL’s other leading goal scorers.

In fact, subtract power-play goals and Burrows is third in the league with 31, behind just Sidney Crosby (35) and Alex Ovechkin (34).

And remember, the most goals Daniel Sedin ever scored in a season is 36.

“I’ve been with him ever since he broke into the A[HL],” Ryan Kesler said. “It’s not easy to score 30 goals in this league, let alone 35. Even 20 in this league is hard.

“To be on this journey with him has been pretty special.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Burrows+made+point+goals+bigs+after+riding+buses+ECHL/2750631/story.html

P.S - bumping this thread is becoming as routine as my morning coffee ;)