The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

I'm already looking forward to the Davis Cup tie Vs South Africa next week. Canada should cruise.

Agreed. Based on rankings alone their singles guys are ranked 152 and 172. And we have Raonic (15) and Pospisil (103) so we should be fine.

Great turnaround for Djok in the SF today. He played like crap before the match was suspended yesterday but was much better today. Crazy weather over there. I feel bad for Murray and Berdych to have been made to play in severe windy conditions like that. Ashe needs a roof badly lol

What a match. Best women's final I've watched in years.

Serena was hitting so many unforced errors but luckily she hit a lot of winners too. To think that all Vika had to do was hold serve and she would have been the champion. But Serena stepped up her game at the right time and broke twice in a row. Can't believe she won her first US Open at age 17 and now at age 31 she's still winning. Great athlete. And congrats to Vika as well. Made Serena work for every point and very nearly took this match away.

Andy Murray: Grand Slam Champion. I don't know that I like the sound of that <_<

But I will give Murray this: it has been the Big 3 in men's tennis for a long time and that's a pretty elite trio to crack. What he's done this summer with the gold medal and now the US Open, I think it legitimately makes him worthy of being considered the 4th member of the elite group.

Murray was by no means the better player in this match. He just had a strategy to make Djok play lots of long points and Djokovic was brutal with his unforced errors and couldn't sustain the pace.

Props to both players for playing such good tennis for 5 hours. That is incredible. And to the crowd who booed when Djok needed a medical timeout: clearly none of them have ever gotten up off their rear ends and played tennis before because if they had they'd have understood how Djokovic must have been feeling at that moment. Shame on those fans.

Still not a Murray fan, but congrats to him on his first Slam.

And with that, Nadal drops to #4 in the world.

Fed

Joker

Andy

Rafa

Oops...strange how the rankings work sometimes...Rafa remains at #3.

Raonic to #14!

EDIT:NM! I was right the first time. Andy to #3 and Milos to #15.

Edited by Donky

Horrible luck for South Africa for Davis Cup

First, Kevin Anderson bailed on the team and isn't playing for them

Then, they lost their next-best guy Rik de Voest to a wrist injury. He was replaced with Izak van der Merwe

Now, Izak van der Merwe was stung by a bee during the pre-match National anthems. No word on whether or not he'll be able to play

:lol:

Wow, was that a boring couple of matches. Bottom line is Canada is going to win this tie. The college kid Raonic faced was very cool under the circumstances and served extremely well. But his return of serve was poor and he couldn`t handle anything Milos threw at him. Pospisil didn`t play his best either and still beat Van de Merwe. Yeah gotta feel for the South Africans. Their program is in a shambles.

• 3 weeks later...

Raonic played really well tonight against #9 Tipsarevic. He faced off a third set tiebreak match point and served out the match with an Ace. Had 8 Break Point opps and converted 2 compared to Tipsarevic who had ZERO opportunities to break.

An infinitely better outing to the listless sputter he pulled in Bangkok.

On to the Semis vs Murray again.

Milos saves another couple of match points tonight enroute to upsetting Andy Murray! He played very, very well tonight. Bonafide Top 10 player in the world when he plays like tonight. Some fantastic tennis. If he pulls it together again in the final he could move up to #12.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, Milos really blew it today. 1st round exit in the Valencia ATP 500 event. Worst part is that he was the only seed left in his half of the draw. Big opportunity blown. Tsonga retired, Tipsarevic retired and Isner had lost in the 2nd round. Milos should have at least gone to the final.