The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

Most nights Yann plays on the line with Nathan Beaulieau and they play mostly against other Top Lines. Yann isn't a fan favorite here in Saint John, in fact most nights I get crap for wearing his jersey. The Saint John fans love the young guys like Beaulieau and Gagne. They say here that Yann doesnt use his size enough, he doesnt hit, but if you watch the video on YouTube posted by the Canucks he hits everything in his way. He was on fire at the start of the season, and has somewhat fallen the 2nd half. The polls on the sea dogs site to me are meaningless, its all about who the fans love. Some people also question his play, but everyone is entitled to make a mistake here and there, and Despres his team-mate makes plenty more turnovers and mistakes than Yann has this year

Good stuff, thanks. Nice to hear about his play from someone that actually gets to watch him. Its welcome anytime, always fun to hear game reports about up and coming Canucks prospects. Sounds like he's got some great potential but also has a lot of aspects to his game to work on.

Ok. riddle me this. Yann is up for the top defensive D man award in the Q and has decent offensive numbers....yet Sea Dog fans vote him 4th best on his own team. How do you as a Sea Dog fan explain the discrepancy? Stupid fans or is there more to it? Also, what kind of defensive assignments does Yann usually face? Is he up against the top line most nights?

He is like their version of Willie Mitchell. Most of his plays are critical to team success but otherwise go under the radar. Goals ans assists obviously get the most attention.

3rd PEI goal was questionable!! But whatever means nothing after we score 8. Yann had a goal and +3 as mentioned above. Had 4 penatly minutes and an alright scrap but it wasnt the best Ive ever seen him do lol. He had a turnover in his zone but luckily nothing came of it. Hope Yann and the team can keep on rolling like this and we'll be headed to Mem cup :D

Most nights Yann plays on the line with Nathan Beaulieau and they play mostly against other Top Lines. Yann isn't a fan favorite here in Saint John, in fact most nights I get crap for wearing his jersey. The Saint John fans love the young guys like Beaulieau and Gagne. They say here that Yann doesnt use his size enough, he doesnt hit, but if you watch the video on YouTube posted by the Canucks he hits everything in his way. He was on fire at the start of the season, and has somewhat fallen the 2nd half. The polls on the sea dogs site to me are meaningless, its all about who the fans love. Some people also question his play, but everyone is entitled to make a mistake here and there, and Despres his team-mate makes plenty more turnovers and mistakes than Yann has this year

Good thanks for that.Just wanted to hear it from someone who sees him play every day.Yann is exactly the kind of prospect we need and a great complement to Connauton if he is able to continue to develop.

Agreed. i've watched a few games and Despres makes some terrible decisions and does so more than once a game. with Yann its like SOB if he keeps his game simple he is great, his problems are when he sometimes plays a bit passive or just tries to force the play. overall this kid has tons of potential, he could be a solid defensive d-men with a couple year in the AHL.

I was on the Island for both games, but that hit last night deserved 5 mins but not a game...it woulda been a good hit, but at the last second Jared Struthers turned as Yann went to hit him...Struthers layed on the ice for a few until Yann got a game misconduct, then got up and was back on the next shift durin the 5 minute power play

Sauve strikes me as a future Defensive D-Man+. In the sense that he won't be a big offensive producer, but can still skate and move the puck pretty well. I could see him consistently putting up 20 - 25 points, with maybe a career year of 30 put in there.

But that's fine, because it will be the job of his D-Partner Connauton to put up the big numbers. ;)

Anyone know whether has yet to to be signed to an ELC or has already been and when did it take place?

I think he already signed his ELC last off-season but I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Capgeek has nothing and i found this

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/rss/article/930219

It's from January and says he is unsigned. I'm quite he surprised he has not been signed yet. It now means his ELC cannot slide 1 year if he plays his entire first pro season in the AHL, since he didn't sign it before turning 20.

I think he already signed his ELC last off-season but I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Capgeek has nothing and i found this

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/rss/article/930219

It's from January and says he is unsigned. I'm quite he surprised he has not been signed yet. It now means his ELC cannot slide 1 year if he plays his entire first pro season in the AHL, since he didn't sign it before turning 20.

it wouldn't have mattered either way when a player is 20 at the beginning of a season (or before 12-31 of that season) there is no automatic contract extension regardless of when the contract was signed. He would have had an automatic slide THIS season, but not next season. since he isn't signed yet, it's a moot point.

it wouldn't have mattered either way when a player is 20 at the beginning of a season (or before 12-31 of that season) there is no automatic contract extension regardless of when the contract was signed. He would have had an automatic slide THIS season, but not next season. since he isn't signed yet, it's a moot point.

So wait, is the ELC slide rule only dependent on age of player? So if he will turn 20 by end of calendar year that starts the season, his contract becomes ineligible to slide?

Because for example, Grabner signed his contract after his first training camp, played 1 more year in the WHL then turned Pro. Next year will be his 4th year of Pro hockey, but only 3rd year on deal. So factor that in with the 1 year of WHL and his contract has slid 2 years. His first pro season was 07/08 and he turned 20 in October of 2007, but his contract still slid 1 more year. (but contract was signed at 18)

So wait, is the ELC slide rule only dependent on age of player? So if he will turn 20 by end of calendar year that starts the season, his contract becomes ineligible to slide?

Because for example, Grabner signed his contract after his first training camp, played 1 more year in the WHL then turned Pro. Next year will be his 4th year of Pro hockey, but only 3rd year on deal. So factor that in with the 1 year of WHL and his contract has slid 2 years. His first pro season was 07/08 and he turned 20 in October of 2007, but his contract still slid 1 more year. (but contract was signed at 18)

correct, his contract would have only slid 2 years (the max).

ARTICLE 9

ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION

9.1 Applicability and Duration. Effective with SPCs entered into after the

execution of this Agreement:

(a) No Club may enter into an SPC with a Rookie that provides for compensation in excess of that permitted by this Article.

(B) Subject to subsection © below, the period covered by the SPC for every Rookie, and the number of years that such Player will be in the Entry Level System and subject to the compensation limits set out in this Article, shall be as indicated on the chart immediately below, and during such period, the Player shall be deemed to be a "Group 1

Player":

Age Period Covered by First SPC and Years in the Entry Level System

First SPC Signing  and Subject to Compensation Limits

18-21              3 years

22-23              2 years

24                 1 year

25 and older       No required number of years, not in the Entry Level System

and not subject to limits on compensation 

© Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (B) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year.

Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

Grabner signed in the season he turned 21 (2008-2009), so he got the 3 year contract. He turned 22 this season and is in his 2nd year of his contract. his 3rd and final year is next season, where he turns 23 in october.

Anthony has had another disappointing season.. was also scratched for playoff games.

I'm not all that disappointed. He's a 7th rounder and he was doing well at the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone has given up on him. Good 7th round pick for the Canucks, IMO. What would it have taken for you not to be disappointed?

I'm not all that disappointed. He's a 7th rounder and he was doing well at the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone has given up on him. Good 7th round pick for the Canucks, IMO. What would it have taken for you not to be disappointed?

Yea... I personally have high hopes for the kid and hopefully he comes over to the moose in the 11/12 season cause he already signed an extension for one more season (10/11). And at end... hes a 7th round pick anyway.

Archived