The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond...how much to re-sign?

ratattack

2.5 - 3 mill max for 3-4 years

i think we've seen many cases of young players having one good year and getting a huge raise like

kris versteeg did.. and come back and have a mediocre campaign..

i'm sure raymond and the canucks can reach a fair deal... gillis is too smart to let go of this young rising star

it'll be better to hold on to him for a couple of years.. then see where he's at and where our depth is at...

Talking about players we need to sign, ive been searching for a free agent thread but couldn't find any.

So assuming they will keep the cap at 56.8 mil next season, and we have $45.5mil locked up in 9 forwards, 5 defense, and 1 goalie.

meaning we will have roughly 10 mil to sign guys like: Raymond, Wellwood, Johnson, Demitra, Hansen, Glass, Mitchell, O'Brien, Rome, Raycroft, Schneider.

what we need: 4 forwards, 2 defense, 1 goalie

Raymond - $2.75mil

Wellwood - $1.5mil

Johnson - $1.5mil

Hansen - $1mil

Glass - 2 way contract at whatever.

O'Brien - $1.5mil

Rome - $.750k

Schneider - $1.5mil

totaling 10.5mil. Letting guys like Mitchell, Demitra and Raycroft walk.

p.s. i dont see anyway we fit Hamhuis under the cap like some are speculating, unless we move out bieksa or salo.

I believe it's gonna be around 2.250M or under for probably 4-5 years. I think we could see something like 12-13 Million over a handful of years that take up his prime or some of it.

Then if this playoffs go very well you could see either the effect of players wanting to take less to stay or use their position to leverage into a higher paying job. To me that's when you really see what a player is made of I think we've seen a lot of Canucks commit to the franchise over the last few years and probably sacrificed some dollars in the process.

I think they should just do a 1 year arbitration thing, where he'll likely get about 2.25M. That way he has to have another good season before he gets his long term deal.

As a comparison, Jiri Hudler put up 23 goals and 57 points last year, very close to what Raymond put up this year. He was also near the same age, but a bit older then Raymond. One difference though is that Hudler had a 42 point season that preceded it, whereas Raymond only a 21. Hudler in arbitration was given 2 yrs/5.75M or 2.875M per season.

I believe it's gonna be around 2.250M or under for probably 4-5 years. I think we could see something like 12-13 Million over a handful of years that take up his prime or some of it.

Then if this playoffs go very well you could see either the effect of players wanting to take less to stay or use their position to leverage into a higher paying job. To me that's when you really see what a player is made of I think we've seen a lot of Canucks commit to the franchise over the last few years and probably sacrificed some dollars in the process.

I am against giving anyone a huge raise based on a break-out year.

Having said that, his contract is up and he does deserve a raise. I would throw a contract similar to what was given to Burr.. maybe with a few bonus clauses in there with relation to points/goals or?? to spice it up a bit.

He has had a solid year but it was only ONE year.

I'm aware of his skillset obviously, and he definitely has a gifted stride, but he had 50 points this year and that was preceded by a pair of 20 point seasons. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We have Schroeder and Hodgson waiting in the wings....

GO CANUCKS !!!

Archived