The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its like that naked old dude that was in the Pride Parade....where there were tens of thousands of people watching.

I was with a pair of girls at the parade..and one of them turned away and lit a ciggie because she didnt want to watch "old balls".

Pretty simple solution, i reckon.

People can do the same if they happen to see someone breastfeeding...and i think you glossed over the part where i said that additionally...mothers really should pick their places, because there are people that are still square to the concept.

I have no problem with women breastfeeding in public. That said, with the current generation of nursing bras and clothing, I don't think it would take too much effort to do so discreetly.

I might think differently if/when I become a mom, but I don't see taking a little extra care* while breastfeeding in public as being too much to ask; it's akin to watching your language or manners a little more carefully when out in public. Just accept the fact that some people are squeamish and compromise. As long as the mom makes a reasonable attempt (see *) at being discreet, there shouldn't be an issue.

*By "a little extra care", I mean not having both breasts hanging out; I don't think it's necessary to go as far as covering baby & breast with a blanket or leaving the room. Neither extreme should be necessary.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is, I recall a few years ago at my tennis club, I'd just finished playing and went to sit down, our club has a large deck attached to the clubhouse, I started talking to a woman I'd played mixed doubles against a few times, and played against her husband as well, I must have talked with her for 10 minutes before I even realized she was breast-feeding her baby. There are far more serious things in this world to concern yourself with.

The law in BC is clear - under the Human Rights Code it is sex discrimination to prohibit a woman from breast feeding in public or requiring that she cover up:

Human Rights in British Columbia

SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT

Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women

It is illegal to discriminate against a woman because she may become pregnant, is pregnant, or has a baby. Nursing mothers have the right to breastfeed their children in a public area, and it is discriminatory to ask them to cover up or breastfeed somewhere else.

Ya, but common sense isn't the issue here, it's human rights. Much like it's my right to be a douchebag if I so choose, it doesn't mean I should.

What's funny is that in these cases they weren't told not to breatfeed, they were told to cover up. What person with a baby doesn't have a cloth with 'em?

Archived