The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack Talk

Donky

I'd keep schneider until the trade deadline next season, at which point lack gets the call-up (assuming he continues to progress). But if there's an insane deal to be had at the draft I'd feel confident in letting Schneider go and promoting Lack early. Lack has praised Rollie's coaching and I think full time exposure would help him even more.

Guest Dasein

Interesting idea, but I do have a few qualms. I may just be more conservative in my approach, though. One thing I would do differently is keep Schneider for one more season so Lack can play one more season in the AHL. I think Lack could use another year of experience down in the AHL. This is was his first real year as a starter, but he also had a good goalie in Wieman to step in for relief. I think he could use at least another year playing as the clear cut starter, without the luxury of Weiman's relief.

In no way do I think another year in the AHL would be redundant, and I think it would be better for his game on and off the ice. I don't yet have the confidence in him to step into the NHL backup role like Schneider has. Schneider played all those years in college, then a few with the Moose. All his years have been successful. I imagine there is still plenty for Lack to learn, and the best way to learn is play a lot of games. (One thing I've noticed in highlights is a bit of a weak glove hand, but I'm tentative to really point it out since highlights typically can make goalies look pretty terrible)

From a more strategic point of view, Lack and Schneider both hit RFA status next summer. If Lack has played a season like Schneider has this year, we might have some trouble resigning him to the affordable deal we want. What we want to pay him will garner no more than a third round pick in RFA compensation via offer sheets. Total bummer.

And I don't think Luongo is the white elephant you suggest he is. As long as he gets the Vezina nod every few seasons, I'm happy. I'll admit I'm not as confident in our goaltending situation for the next decade as I would hope to be, but I think there is a better chance for Luongo to win the Vezina in five years than any other goalie in our system right now.

^ Ah I see what your saying now. It is likely that Luongo will experience a physical decline, as you say. That fact unfortunately really puts emphasis on the idea that Luongo is in reality a $8M dollar goalie right now. Sometimes it really seems to me like Gillis began with too much of a clean slate when he took over the GM job, and he didn't look long enough at what he already had. Most of his "mistakes" involved mismanagement of assets Nonis/Burke acquired, like the Sundin offer (would have complicated contract negotiations with Sedins); the Ballard trade (Grabner); and the Luongo deal (Schneider). Most of these "mistakes" aren't really terrible mistakes, but I feel wiser decisions could have been made with more consideration and foresight of his prospects. Of course hindsight is 20/20, and these are as much scouting issues as a management issues, but for a GM who has been so smart with all his other signings and prospects, it's a bit surprising.

Enough of my whining, haha. I actually really your idea of using our goalie prospects to acquire more goalie prospects, especially now that the goalie market seems saturated. In my mind It seems like the best way to get fair talent-for-talent value right now. It hurts a bit to know Schneider was our first round pick in 2004 and that we spent all that time watching him develop only to see him traded away. However, your proposal is smart, and it seems like adequate return, especially when I consider Schneider as the 2004 26th overall with 6 years of patience and development.

Haha ya we have three goalies that can keep the puck out (or should be able to by next year) and are not injury prone. Philly barely has one.

I would trade both Lack and schneider for non-goaltending prospects or picks as we do have another goaltending prospect (cannatta is much less of a sure thing but we do not need one right now) and we have five or six years before we reaally need another top notch tender.

Guest Dasein

^ Ah I see what your saying now. It is likely that Luongo will experience a physical decline, as you say. That fact unfortunately really puts emphasis on the idea that Luongo is in reality a $8M dollar goalie right now. Sometimes it really seems to me like Gillis began with too much of a clean slate when he took over the GM job, and he didn't look long enough at what he already had. Most of his "mistakes" involved mismanagement of assets Nonis/Burke acquired, like the Sundin offer (would have complicated contract negotiations with Sedins); the Ballard trade (Grabner); and the Luongo deal (Schneider). Most of these "mistakes" aren't really terrible mistakes, but I feel wiser decisions could have been made with more consideration and foresight of his prospects. Of course hindsight is 20/20, and these are as much scouting issues as a management issues, but for a GM who has been so smart with all his other signings and prospects, it's a bit surprising.

Enough of my whining, haha. I actually really your idea of using our goalie prospects to acquire more goalie prospects, especially now that the goalie market seems saturated. In my mind It seems like the best way to get fair talent-for-talent value right now. It hurts a bit to know Schneider was our first round pick in 2004 and that we spent all that time watching him develop only to see him traded away. However, your proposal is smart, and it seems like adequate return, especially when I consider Schneider as the 2004 26th overall with 6 years of patience and development.

If we trade Schneider, Lack will still have to earn the back-up job. Gillis will probably sign a fringe guy to compete with him - like he did with Raycroft.

Turned out then that even though he was named best goalie in the AHL, Schneider needed another year there. Same could be true with Lack.

2439_lead.jpg

Posted on: Wednesday, May 11th, 2011

By Ken Wiebe, Winnipeg Sun

The dejection was still fresh on the voice of Manitoba Moose goalie Eddie Lack.

Despite all of the accolades and honours bestowed upon the Swedish rookie this season, Lack was sick to his stomach over the Moose season coming to an end after a heartbreaking 2-1 triple overtime loss to the Hamilton Bulldogs in Game 7 of the North Division final.

“We battled really hard for almost two games and gave it a shot, I guess it’s the way it goes,” Lack said after the Moose arrived at James Richardson International Airport on Tuesday afternoon. “It took me a minute to realize what happened (after the deciding goal). It felt weird. I thought we were going to play all night. It’s too bad that we didn’t come out with a win.”

Although Monday’s result left a bad taste in his mouth, Lack enjoyed his first taste of hockey in North America.

“I would have rather played for another month, but it was a fun playoff and I enjoyed it,” said Lack. “I played 20 games last year and this year I played 70, including the pre-season. I proved I can play a lot of games and a high level and that I can be mentally prepared for every game.”

Lack also gave a strong indication he’s got a pretty high ceiling when it comes to his long-term potential.

“He reminds me of Pekka Rinne and look where he’s at,” said Moose head coach Claude Noel. “Eddie really gave us a chance to win a lot of games this year. When Eddie starts to practice every day in the NHL as an NHL goaltender, you’re going to see him improve a lot. He’s got a bright future.”

After getting pulled in the opening game of these playoffs, Lack returned to form and finished with a 6-5 record, a 1.99 goals against average and .932 save percentage in 12 games.

“In Game 7, he stood on his head. That was one of the best performances I’ve seen by any goaltender on any team I’ve ever been on,” said Moose winger Jason Jaffray. “He was amazing. For a young guy coming into the league, he really put us on his back and gave us a chance to win and that’s all you can really ask.”

Moose forward Guillaume Desbiens echoed those sentiments.

“It was a great learning lesson for him,” said Desbiens. “He carried us through the first round and the second round too. Without Eddie, we wouldn’t have been where we were. He was a huge part of our success.”

Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault told reporters in Vancouver on Tuesday that Lack will be joining the team as the third goalie and that several other players will be recalled at a later date

<br />The more I hear about this guy, the more I want to see Schneider moved on draft day. He seems ready. His numbers are just as good as Schneider's were in the AHL. If we win the cup this year, it will only increase Schneider's value, as although he was the backup, a cup ring and experience counts nonetheless. Also, he started one game.<br /><br />VAN: Jacob Markstrom, Quinton Howden<br />FLA: Cory Schneider, Mario Bliznak, 2nd round pick<br /><br />Personally, I want to see Schneider moved for a very good young goalie prospect. The most attractive trade would be to FLA for Jacob Markstrom. FLA has no goaltender (Vokoun leaving as a UFA and Markstrom clearly not ready for the starting job yet) and Dave Tallon needs to start winning now, and he's known to overpay for players he need ie. Brian Campbell, Marian Hossa of the Blackhawks. Cory would fit perfectly in the young, cheap rebuild of FLA. This kid Markstrom as a 19 year old took the starting job on Brynas ahead of our very own Eddie Lack last year. Markstrom is only 20 and will need at least a couple seasons in the AHL. During those two years, Eddie Lack could back up Luongo for a couple years until we trade him for a big return like Schneider (except not for a goalie prospect, but a top 6 or blue chip defense prospect). Once we trade Lack, we can grab a UFA backup for a year and by the end of that, Luongo will be 35 and Markstrom 23. At this point, we can bring Markstrom up to back up Luongo for 2 years. After the backup stint, Markstrom will be 25 and Luongo 37. At this point, these two can battle for the starting job and we would have one of the best young goaltenders in the league and a good veteran backup.<br /><br />Looking at NJ right now, they need a good young goaltender to replace Brodeur, who is 38 now. But by trading Schneider for Markstrom, we buy time to develop a player who is possibly the best goaltending prospect in recent drafts that can take over when Luongo reaches the age of 38.<br /><br />The question is, would Tallon be willing to part with Markstrom...He just might if he can't grab any UFAs and needs a goaltender.<br />

I don't mind seeing Lack getting another season in the minors while Cory Schneider is still under contract with us. We all saw what a great goaltending duo did for us and it landed us home ice all playoffs and depth. Unless the deal we WANT is there, we should keep him.Philadelphia is crazy if they think Bryzgalov will solve their goalie woes, Schneider has a chance to be the backbone of their franchise for the next decade, so they better be forking over JVR or Giroux our way.

The only worry I would have about keeping Schneider another year is his value plummeting.

Look at what happened with Dallas and Minnesota a few years back. Both had highly touted young rookies playing behind elite veteran starters. Dallas parlayed Smith into a package for Brad Richards, while the Wild hung on to Harding. Both of those goalies could be had for nothing today, but Dallas struck while the value was highest.

Then again, Gillis doesn't want to just make a run this year. Schneider will continue to be an invaluable insurance policy next season. If Luongo gets hurt, especially in the playoffs, nothing we could possibly have got for Cory would have been worth it.

Guest Dasein

The only worry I would have about keeping Schneider another year is his value plummeting.

Look at what happened with Dallas and Minnesota a few years back. Both had highly touted young rookies playing behind elite veteran starters. Dallas parlayed Smith into a package for Brad Richards, while the Wild hung on to Harding. Both of those goalies could be had for nothing today, but Dallas struck while the value was highest.

Then again, Gillis doesn't want to just make a run this year. Schneider will continue to be an invaluable insurance policy next season. If Luongo gets hurt, especially in the playoffs, nothing we could possibly have got for Cory would have been worth it.

Personally I think Lack could be a more successful NHL'er than Markstrom. Lack is a later bloomer that I think will surpass Markstrom.

I would be happy with moving Schneider at this year's draft, when his value will probably be the highest (getting a young guy like him still with a year on his deal is very valuable in the cap era). Obviously thats IF the right deal was offered in return. If so, Lack is given a chance to compete with some journeyman tender, and if he's ready, backs up LU, and if not, he would get another year in the AHL.

I just feel that the return for Schneider when he's an RFA will be far less than if we moved him while he's secured for a year.

• 3 months later...

Archived