The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

When has a coach ever told a supposedly tough player to turn the other cheek if he or a teammate gets unfairly crunched?

Well let's see, in latter half of Bieksa's first full season AV told him to quit looking for fights. He didn't want him in the box for five. Simply put, fighting isn't his job. Particularly when it seems we constantly have top 4 D out with injuries already.

It isn't figure skating. Hits happen. For the most part you let the grunts look after it if needed.

I think I actually get it. All this whining about Bieksa not fighting enough is simply smoke and mirrors. The real reason you want him to fight more is to get him off the ice for 5 or more. Am I right?

Yes, no amateurish response here. A much loftier passive-aggressive self-righteousnessness, though. I'd rather have someone make fun of me than to go the "tsk tsk" route. That kind of snippiness belongs in a British freshman college class.

Stick to the argument and can the self-congratulatory smirks. They don't help your cause.

Don't worry Lancelot...Guinevere will be alright. And the black knight has plenty of snipe for you, rest assured.

pat_on_the_back_1.jpg

Closed? Why? Because you said so?

Is this the same Wallstreeet who claimed in this thread that he's "defended" Bieksa?

Now you're slagging him for not fighting enough? Should he go looking for fights? What about those "boneheaded penalty" complaints that you're so fond of?

Do you really believe that KB would turn down an invitation to dance from someone in (or close to) his own weight class? If so, I'd bet you the mortgage that you're wrong.

Please stop claiming to be a "moderate". You're the same as Canuckelion and Barry Wilkins as far as I'm concerned.

Case closed from my perspective, yes. You guys can feel free to continue on with the fighting debate all you want.

I have defended Bieksa a lot actually. WHat does that have to do with criticizing him. Maybe what I consider a moderate view is when someone can look at both sides and not automatically have to fall into either defending or criticizing. When there are positive things to say, I say them. When there are negative things to say, I say them. Common sense really.

Please read my posts again. I am NOT slagging him for not fighting more and I am not saying he should go looking for fights. Personally, I could care less if he does those things or not, although he was more effective when he did. I have actually been pretty clear about that. I am actually saying that if he doesnt fight, play with emotion like he used to, or stand up for his teammates, his supporters should probably stop presenting it as some big advantage to our team, at least until he shows a willingness to do those things again.

Compare me to who you want. It is not like your opinion about me actually matters.

There are lots of ways to get back at an opponent. Many fights happen because one guy challenges, and the other accepts. There are no instigator penalties in most NHL fights.

Another way is to punish the perpetrator with legal hits. To make a point of finishing hits with vigour and emotion. As already mentioned, this is impossible for Bieksa because of his stature.

Another way is to say "the heck with it", take the instigator penalty, and start the fight (which, again, isn't really instigating, that was done by the guy who first picked on your own teammate). Lots of games, including Canucks games this year, one team is up by few goals in the third period. A 2 minute minor in those cases is a relatively minor trade-off to make in order to send a message to the other team.

So take an instigating penalty, because it isn't really instigating? Then why do they call it an instigating penalty?

Hmm.

Well, i'm sold.

"But, awww, ref...he was picking on himmm!" "You're no funnn!"

Yep, the refs would definitely agree with you there.

And as a wise man once said, "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

I never said he should go out instigating fights. Quit putting words in my mouth. I said he has consistently failed to stick up for teammates who've been rocked on his very own shifts

Isn't that a contradiction? If he drops his gloves and goes after a guy for throwing a hit he is in fact instigating a fight. Particularly if he's not even the one that was hit.

Well let's see, in latter half of Bieksa's first full season AV told him to quit looking for fights. He didn't want him in the box for five. Simply put, fighting isn't his job. Particularly when it seems we constantly have top 4 D out with injuries already.

It isn't figure skating. Hits happen. For the most part you let the grunts look after it if needed.

I think I actually get it. All this whining about Bieksa not fighting enough is simply smoke and mirrors. The real reason you want him to fight more is to get him off the ice for 5 or more. Am I right?

Yes, it was public that AV said that. That said, it's not as if Bieksa is no longer allowed to, hell Datsyuk got in a fight this year, its not like his coach was happy about that. It happens in the heat of battle.

Yes Bieksa fighting is smoke in mirrors. It doesn't really matter if he does or not BUT his fighting has been used in arguments pro Bieksa left right and center. So which is it? His recent play suggests this is no longer part of his repertoire or will.

Isn't that a contradiction? If he drops his gloves and goes after a guy for throwing a hit he is in fact instigating a fight. Particularly if he's not even the one that was hit.

Yet at the same time, the Bieksa supporters point to his fight with Crombeen to stick up for Kesler as a crowning achievement and an example of his sticking up for teammates.

You cant have it both ways.....

So, what did you guys do on the weekend?

Friday night stayed in for movies and pizza.

Saturday watched the Lions game, then a date in the evening.

Sunday slept in, watched football and back to work that night.

Thanks for asking. How was your weekend?

Show me where has this season or last playoffs?

Masochist Mike...don't you ever tire from getting your donkey handed to you? Do you really need me to show you where he stepped in for Kesler last year? And as far as the playoffs go...dmen who eat up larger minutes for an already depleted dcore do NOT drop the gloves...and remove themselves, at the detriment of the team, out of the lineup for five minutes or possibly more.

It's like talking to a brick wall but at least the brick wall gives me the sweet release of death after smashing my head into it, you just give me a migraine without the satisfaction of loss of consciousness.

Yes, it was public that AV said that. That said, it's not as if Bieksa is no longer allowed to, hell Datsyuk got in a fight this year, its not like his coach was happy about that. It happens in the heat of battle.

Yes Bieksa fighting is smoke in mirrors. It doesn't really matter if he does or not BUT his fighting has been used in arguments pro Bieksa left right and center. So which is it? His recent play suggests this is no longer part of his repertoire or will.

It's still in his repertoire. I'm quite sure he hasn't forgotten how. It's a positive aspect that he "can" throw down if needed is it not? He's simply been told it's not his job to. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get into any fights this season but I agree he shouldn't be looking for them.

Yet at the same time, the Bieksa supporters point to his fight with Crombeen to stick up for Kesler as a crowning achievement and an example of his sticking up for teammates.

You cant have it both ways.....

I don't see what that has to with me pointing out that he's contradicting himself. Don't instigate fights but do drop the gloves and go after a guy that throws a hit. You don't see that as a contradiction?

I don't see what that has to with me pointing out that he's contradicting himself. Don't instigate fights but do drop the gloves and go after a guy that throws a hit. You don't see that as a contradiction?

In a literal sense, maybe. In terms of how things actually go down on the ice, no. Starting a fight after a big hit happens all the time with no instigator penalty handed out.

Archived