265 replies to this topic

#211 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't think he'll be in the ECHL without a contract though. Grenier played in Austria this season but also with no contract but who knows how MG got that to happen...

Sorry, I should have indicated that my scenario would be assuming Honzik is signed to a contract by the Canucks.

#212 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Sorry, I should have indicated that my scenario would be assuming Honzik is signed to a contract by the Canucks.

That's ok. I just wondered if the Nucks were planning on giving him another year to get a look at him without having to sign him to a contract just yet.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#213 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Honzik continued his solid play for Cape Breton - but still couldn't buy a win - stopping 28 of 31 shots in a 4-1 loss to the Quebec Remparts today. He was named the 2nd star of the game.

#214 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Wait another five years, and he'll be backup or starter to the Canucks.... I guess.
Posted Image

#215 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Honzik continued his solid play for Cape Breton - but still couldn't buy a win - stopping 28 of 31 shots in a 4-1 loss to the Quebec Remparts today. He was named the 2nd star of the game.

If he can continue to play well, I think we have to continue on with him in some fashion and I think we will, whether that means offering a contract or getting him to play in some league where he doesn't need a contract who knows.

I think he has really bounced back well after tough circumstances, and has earned a long look.

zackass.png

#216 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Honzik allowed 3 goals on 31 shots today in a 4-2 loss to the P.E.I. Rocket.

#217 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

I wouldn't give up on this guy, he is really raw but has alot of like able tools, he is huge, moves well, great on breakaways. Good glove hand.

Just needs to mature and continue to develop his game further and add more consistency and maturity.

We shouldn't give up on the guy, there is still some upside there.

zackass.png

#218 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Honzik was the backup to Alex Bureau in Cape Breton's 8-0 loss to the P.E.I. Rocket today. Cape Breton goes right back at it tomorrow so I assume Honzik will get the start for that game.

#219 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Honzik is now sitting at a 87.8 SVP and 3.95 GAA, I had high hopes for him, I hope he can kill it for the rest of the season and get his SVP above 90 at least..

#220 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Considering the back up allowed 8 goals to a pretty middle of the pack team like PEI, you really have to consider just how bad the team is in front of him. I don't think any of us can really judge his play without watching him because statistically his team may just be the most brutal in the entire CHL. A goalie can only do so much
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#221 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Honzik is now sitting at a 87.8 SVP and 3.95 GAA, I had high hopes for him, I hope he can kill it for the rest of the season and get his SVP above 90 at least..

The 'top' goalies in the Q - Marcoux; who plays goal for Blainville has a .907 S%; while Fucale (Halifax) has a .897 S%.

I think you need to adjust your expectations.
Posted Image

#222 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

The 'top' goalies in the Q - Marcoux; who plays goal for Blainville has a .907 S%; while Fucale (Halifax) has a .897 S%.

I think you need to adjust your expectations.

I don't think so. He's up to 87.8 after a real bad start.

Gibson, Marcoux, Fucale, Bibeau, Desrosiers, Brassard and Auger are all above 90.0 and have played a substantial amount of games.

None of them have been drafted...

I stick to it - I hope he can reach the 90.0 plateau after a bad start..

Edit: Forgot Gibson was drafted by L.A.

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 01 February 2013 - 02:08 AM.

#223 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

Considering the back up allowed 8 goals to a pretty middle of the pack team like PEI, you really have to consider just how bad the team is in front of him. I don't think any of us can really judge his play without watching him because statistically his team may just be the most brutal in the entire CHL. A goalie can only do so much

Yeah I have tried to watch as many highlights as I can and he looks alot better than stats would even indicate, still has all the tools he is just raw. He does make alot of big saves. And actually has good skill.

No clue why people give up on him, not sure what to expect on that team, Fucale would do just as bad on Cape Breton.

I don't think so. He's up to 87.8 after a real bad start.

Gibson, Marcoux, Fucale, Bibeau, Desrosiers, Brassard and Auger are all above 90.0 and have played a substantial amount of games.

None of them have been drafted...

I stick to it - I hope he can reach the 90.0 plateau after a bad start..

Edit: Forgot Gibson was drafted by L.A.

If he was on any of those teams his #'s would be better aswell. He's better than most think, it is just that terrible team he is playing infront of.

zackass.png

#224 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Cape Breton has 1 win in their last 14 games and an overall 10-32-8 record.. Yep, terrible team.

#225 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well, the contrast between Honzik and Cape Breton's backup goalie Alex Bureau is pretty stark, and the importance of Honzik to the Screaming Eagles evident, given Honzik's effort in the 2nd game of a back to back against the P.E.I. Rocket today. Honzik stopped an amazing 44 of 46 shots in a 2-1 loss, while Bureau allowed 8 goals on 51 shots in an 8-0 loss yesterday.

Okay, I think I'm a believer in him now and credit goes to DeNiro for helping to change my perspective. Honzik is a workhorse who makes an unreal amount of saves on a regular basis to try to keep his terrible team in games. Needless to say, the Canucks have done very well at drafting and developing goalies in recent history. Maybe they really have something here in David Honzik.

Edited by NuxFan09, 01 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#226 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well, the contrast between Honzik and Cape Breton's backup goalie Alex Bureau is pretty stark, and the importance of Honzik to the Screaming Eagles evident, given Honzik's effort in the 2nd game of a back to back against the P.E.I. Rocket today. Honzik stopped an amazing 44 of 46 shots in a 2-1 loss, while Bureau allowed 8 goals on 51 shots in an 8-0 loss yesterday.

Okay, I think I'm a believer in him now and credit goes to DeNiro for helping to change my perspective. Honzik is a workhorse who makes an unreal amount of saves on a regular basis to try to keep his terrible team in games. Needless to say, the Canucks have done very well at drafting and developing goalies in recent history. Maybe they really have something here in David Honzik.

I think that too, watching highlights you can see he makes a ton of huge saves, and is a workhorse as you say.

He is raw but IMO has all the tools to play in this league, he is huge, athletic, and has alot of likeable things, no reason to give up on the guy, just bring him somewhere closer to the organization (in terms of control, not geography) sign him to a deal and we will see if he can crack the Wolves next year, otherwise he could get some time with the K-Wings.

No reason to give up on him though, alot of goalies have come out of nowhere and he seems to have alot of likeable tools.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 01 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.

zackass.png

#227 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Always been a supporter of him, great to see he's having success - most goalies with raw skill are wildly inconsistent.. Around draft day some scouts projected he could develop into a smaller Rinne.

Posted Image

#228 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Honzik allowed 4 goals on 36 shots in a 5-3 Cape Breton loss to the Baie-Comeau Drakkar today.

#229 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Honzik was pulled at 3:16 of the 1st period after allowing 2 goals on 4 shots against the Baie-Comeau Drakkar today. The Screaming Eagles actually went on to win the game 5-3, with backup goalie Alex Bureau stopping 38 of 39 shots against after replacing Honzik.

#230 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Honzik was pulled after allowing 4 goals on 24 shots through 2 periods in Cape Breton's 9-1 loss to the Gatineau Olympiques yesterday. Backup Alex Bureau replaced Honzik for the 3rd period and allowed 5 goals on 11 shots.

#231 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

stats do not tell the story here. its impossible to get a read on how he does as the good games and bad games seem to be pretty much interchangeable. I really want to see him with a pro team.

#232 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

stats do not tell the story here. its impossible to get a read on how he does as the good games and bad games seem to be pretty much interchangeable. I really want to see him with a pro team.

He's going to be a long term project, we should definitely sign him though. We won't be able to get a decent read on him until he's out of the Q.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#233 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

It would be ideal if next year it was Lack and Cannata tending net in the AHL while Honzik got starting duties in the ECHL. Hopefully Gillis drafts another goalie or two in the coming draft to keep goalies coming through the system, seeing as how this organization seems so good in that area.

#234 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

It would be ideal if next year it was Lack and Cannata tending net in the AHL while Honzik got starting duties in the ECHL. Hopefully Gillis drafts another goalie or two in the coming draft to keep goalies coming through the system, seeing as how this organization seems so good in that area.

Yeah, with Lack's injury this year, it would be good for him to have another season of seasoning. Unfortunate too, if he had played all year + playoffs he'd probably be NHL ready by next training camp.

#235 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Honzik allowed 4 goals on 30 shots for Cape Breton yesterday in a 4-1 loss to the Blainville-Broisbriand Armada.

The losses just keep piling up for Honzik and the Screaming Eagles.

#236 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Go figure, Honzik played backup to Alex Bureau in a 4-1 win for Cape Breton over the Drummondville Voltigeurs today. Bureau stopped 29 of 30 shots.

Hopefully it doesn't mean Honzik has lost the starting job.

#237 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Honzie's had a tough couple of years eh.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#238 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,760 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Honzie's had a tough couple of years eh.

Definitely not what the organization or Honzik probably expected.

I still say we have to wait and see what he can do in the ECHL and the AHL with some solid D in front of him. It's not like any of Cape Breton's goalies do better than Honzik, so you gotta think that they're a pretty poor team.

I don't think you can ever have too many goalies in the system either. Lack and Cannata look solid, but it would be nice to have another goalie coming up behind them. He was always supposed to be a long term project after all. And the organization obviously thought pretty highly of him to take him in the third round, so I doubt they give up on him yet.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#239 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

When do the Canucks need to sign him before he gets placed back into the draft?

2moy3iq.png

#240 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I believe sometime in late May or early June this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.