The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

Awww man. This sucks. I don't know if the suicide rumours are true, but I've personally had 2 friends hang themselves in the past year, so even the notion of it really hits home for me.

RIP RYP

Believe it or not, Rick scored my favourite Nucks goal of the 2009-2010 season. Granted it was the hard work of Kesler that made it happen, and the specific circumstances at the time that made it such a huge goal, but it was a beauty, and a game winner to boot. I'd like to share it.

This was back near the start of the season, when we were plagued with injuries (think both Daniel and Lu were out then). Earlier in the same play, Henrik took a puck to the shin and limped off the ice, and Willie Mitchell was seen vomiting on the bench after taking a puck to the groin. My friend and I looked at each other and were like "Aww man, that's it, we're just gonna run out of players....". Immediately after he scored.

First and foremost i wish Rick's family and friends all best

Secondly for those of you who suggest Ricks actions of possible suicide are completely selfish may be wrong and may be right but its not for me or you to judge....coming from someone who lost a wonderful cousin to the same sort of tragedy not too long i ago i heard people suggest that my cousin was selfish for what he did....they may be wrong or right but i guarantee it was the only selfish thing he had done his entire life...He was a good man.A man that is loved and a man who will be missed......Rest in Peace to my cousin,Rick and any others who have fallen to the victim of depression

Threw up my dinner after hearing the news. I heard 'hanging' and I just felt so sick...not sure if it's true but it made me so ill to my stomach....you have to be in a really messed up state of mind to chose that method (well any method is messed but hanging or jumping off a bridge etc...you have to be damn determined to chose that...just my personal opinion though...not sure if that's true for real since I've never done it)

Had a boyfriend who was messed up from depression a while back. He was suicidal but pulled through somehow.

If he actually did it, I'm not even sure if I'd be around either to be honest....

Can't even imagine what was going through Rick's mind when he decided to finally pull the plug...so damn sad at the moment.

Ricky was my 2nd cousin and my favourite player in the league. Although I had never met him, I have met his family many times and always wished to meet him one day. I remember when I got my Rypien jersey how pumped I was to have him sign it one day... I will continue to wear it with pride this year.

When he signed with the Jets I was pumped for him to get another shot at the NHL and thought maybe down the line he would be a Canuck again. He will always be a Canuck. Proud to have been related to such a tough player. R.I.P. Ricky.

So that "personal issue" of his a while back was severe depression. Very sad to see. Many other movie stars also committed suicide, even when they had many fan support. This just goes to show that fan support, money or frame are all meaningless if you don't love yourself and everything that God has given you.

RIP Rypien. Very sad to see it end this way. I hope people learn something from this; Always love yourself no matter what.

For those that are depressed.

Archived