553 replies to this topic

#421 linden16*

linden16*

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

I was completely devastated and heartbroken when I heard the news yesterday. It's just so incredibly sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to Rick's family, friends and teammates. You will be dearly missed, Rick. Rest in Peace. <3

Edited by linden16*, 16 August 2011 - 09:12 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks to lovekesler for the sig! | RIP Luc, Carly and Rick. We miss you all.

#422 AndyW1978

AndyW1978

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

It's true that mental issues can often lie buried until a person finishes puberty. However, it is also possible that each time we cheered on Rypien as he fought, we were unknowingly supporting the root cause of his tortured existence, and resulting death. Physical traumas are often the starting point of mental problems. And there is abundant evidence that concussions change a person's mental state (usually temporarily...but maybe occasionally permanently?).

With these rumors that he committed suicide and that he was diagnosed with depression, I kind of wonder the same thing as you. My girlfriend suffers from depression and when she doesn't have it under control with her medication she gets extremely irritable and combative. Anything can send her into a violent rage.

I wonder if Rypien's depression wasn't almost like a form of mental/emotional steroids that got him pumped-up during the games. Were we sending a guy out on the ice every night who was ready to snap? Why was he getting into so many fights? Why didn't he have the self-control to resist attacking that fan in Minnesota? Players on the visiting team get taunted by fans all the time, but most of them would never put their hands on them.

Now that he's dead, and it looks like it was suicide, you have to wonder a little bit why the underlying depression that caused it wasn't more effectively managed, and I have to wonder if his emotional volitility wasn't being exploited to some degree to make him a more intense hockey player. I'm not suggesting that the team knowingly exploited his illness, he could have decided for himself that treating his depression would have made him less intense and therefore a less effective hockey player.

#423 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Be that as it may, suicide is THE most selfish act you can do and it will ultimately be judged as such.

RIP Rick.

Maybe you should rethink this as it is a very poor choice of words and is very inconsiderate.

#424 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

As of now there is no evidence that his death has anything to do with fighting.

Just to add, neither did Derek Boogaard's death. If I remember correctly, he was taking painkillers for a shoulder that wasn't healing. It's not like he had an addiction for painkillers because he wanted to be able to absorb punches better in fights.

Rick Rypien could have been dealing with this said "mental illness" his entire life. The pressures to perform in the NHL could have contributed to it, but you can't blame it on fighting.

Posted Image

#425 Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Ugh. People please stop with the whole selfish thing. It's rude and disrespectful. To both his memory and his family. Just leave it alone right now.

#426 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

As of now there is no evidence that his death has anything to do with fighting.

true. what has caused what is the obvious rebuttal... wherein lies the burden of proof, etc etc.

however there is a connection regardless of the chicken and egg argument. to take something positive from this and springboard more awareness would be noble...

#427 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

Wow... truly tragic. I was always a huge fan... two fights Ill never forgot gotta be the Vlabik one first... and the one in 06 or 07 vs Commodore (sp)... that was his first fight that I started liking him.

Rest In Peace Rypien :(

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#428 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

With these rumors that he committed suicide and that he was diagnosed with depression, I kind of wonder the same thing as you. My girlfriend suffers from depression and when she doesn't have it under control with her medication she gets extremely irritable and combative. Anything can send her into a violent rage.

I wonder if Rypien's depression wasn't almost like a form of mental/emotional steroids that got him pumped-up during the games. Were we sending a guy out on the ice every night who was ready to snap? Why was he getting into so many fights? Why didn't he have the self-control to resist attacking that fan in Minnesota? Players on the visiting team get taunted by fans all the time, but most of them would never put their hands on them.

Now that he's dead, and it looks like it was suicide, you have to wonder a little bit why the underlying depression that caused it wasn't more effectively managed, and I have to wonder if his emotional volitility wasn't being exploited to some degree to make him a more intense hockey player. I'm not suggesting that the team knowingly exploited his illness, he could have decided for himself that treating his depression would have made him less intense and therefore a less effective hockey player.

Rick was one of those guys that scared me with the look in his eyes. He looked unbalanced, I don't think I would have been comfortable in the same room as him.

It is a very sad situation. My thoughts are with his family.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#429 swflyers28

swflyers28

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to Rick Rypien's family and friends. Killing yourself is never the answer.

042513_voracek_600_zps24ed9883.jpg?t=142

#430 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

I heard the news on the radio heading home, I had to pull over cause it felt serial.

RIP the Ripper, you didnt fit well on the canucks, but you were one hell of a hockey player that would make any team better.

#431 Canuckletux

Canuckletux

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

Wow, that's so saddening, he was way too young to pass away. :(
Rest in peace, Ripper.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#432 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

"But so many of them speak later of how scared they were at that moment; how they barely got out of the shower after the game when the thought of the tough guy from tomorrow night's opponent darkened their head space. The toughest part, a fighter once told us, is that guys like Rypien could never let that fear show. That there was no one to talk to about it."

:(

Edited by SodaPop, 16 August 2011 - 10:19 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#433 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

I don't think I can really support fighting in hockey anymore. Boogey man and the Ripper in such a sort time span... It's heart breaking.

wZEgqzy.png

#434 F40

F40

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

Rest In Peace Ripper!! You'll be missed dearly but never forgotten. :(

#435 Zing!

Zing!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

I would think so. You don't just take time off from your job for months at a time unless you have some serious issue with drugs, alcohol or some other severe health problem.

Last night Squire Barns mentioned rumors of mental health problems. Take that for what it's worth.

#436 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

POPULAR

I think we should stop talking about what personal problems/illness he had.

Remember him for what he did, not how he died or what caused it.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#437 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

Sad news! RIP Rick

#438 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,351 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

Depression is much more common than is ever acknowleged .. perhaps this tragic event can help all of us welcome those who suffer so badly into our own level of consciousness .. the more we know about depression then the better we can cope with it .. to Hockeyville 88, who shared her own positive reaction to this tragedy ,, thank you for sharing .. from personal experience, often times the greatest hurdles are admitting you need help and then accepting the help offered .. you and your team mates have taken a big step in just accepting her illness .. I really hope something good will come from this, not only for your mate, but also by increased awareness /ss

well said

i think an event like this makes all of us examine our lives and what we are doing to help the people around us. if it makes us hold our loved ones a little closer and if it encourages us to give someone another chance or to do a good deed than Rypien's passing has a silver lining
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#439 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

In before the retire his jersey in Vancouver comments.

I really wish you'd take a break from this forum. You're really ignorant lately, and need to take a look in the mirror and see how much of an idiot you look like because of comments like these.

Way to show respect.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#440 Piratehkr

Piratehkr

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself.

How can you come to a logical conclusion when nothing has been reported yet. Yes CTE is purely speculation but we have seen countless professional athletes do things that they wouldn't normally do. The one that comes to mind was the wrestler that killed his whole family and then himself. Upon examination of his brain they found CTE.

My point is that professional sports needs to do more to protect their athletes and CTE is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed.

I am not saying that Rick had this problem. I agree that suicide is selfish. But maybe just maybe there were underlying issues that caused him to do something completely out of character.

Do yourself a favor and look up logical in a dictionary. Given what we know of Rypien's battle with depression suicide is a logical assumption with that being our only knowledge.

I'm not arguing that CTE could be an underlying cause, pretty sure I even said that he may have suffered with this illness. That does not change my opinion that suicide is a selfish act. Nor does it change the fact that suicide could be a likely (even logical) cause of death.

#441 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

R.I.P Rick Rypien #37.

#442 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

Someone extremely close to me suffers from anxiety and depression.

Mental illness is common and, unfortunately, often goes undiagnosed and untreated. It is a life sentence... something that cannot be clinically "cured". It doesn't go away like a virus or an infection. It can be controlled through medication and therapy, though.

Often, when people are diagnosed with a mental illness, they don't seek treatment because of the social stigma attached to it. Sufferers often think of themselves as pariahs or burdens to their loved ones. This is so sad to me because I cannot begin to think of life without my closest loved one who suffers from mental illness.

If you know someone who is mentally ill, give them all the love, attention and understanding that you can. Spend time with them and tell them that you love them often.

Finally, please stop all the speculation and smart ass remarks that are being made regarding Rick Rypien's passing. This particular thread is not a place for jokes, one-liners and ignorant comments. Show R.R. some respect and show his loved ones some empathy, instead.

Regardless of how you feel about suicide or mental illness, please think about who you might hurt before you push the post button.

Rest Peacefully, Ripper.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#443 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,918 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

Judge not those who hurt to much to stay
Those who grow weary of lifes load
The cloke of gloom is burdensome
The hurt and pain natural eyes cannot see
No judge not those who purposely leave
Let us listen to one another with sharpened ear
Speak with affirmation
Love without expectation
And let us lift the fallen cheer the faint
Too soon gone he is
Yet remember him not for his untimely passing
But remember his person.
Some where on a sheet of silver
Glides a young man always smiling
Like a bird released from his cage
Never with regret looking back

RIP Rick Rypien. Forever a Canuck #37.

Edited by Vintage Canuck., 16 August 2011 - 11:10 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#444 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

Judge not those who hurt to much to stay
Those who grow weary of lifes load
The cloke of gloom is burdensome
The hurt and pain natural eyes cannot see
No judge not those who purposely leave
Let us listen to one another with sharpened ear
Speak with affirmation
Love without expectation
And let us lift the fallen cheer the faint
Too soon gone he is
Yet remember him not for his untimely passing
But remember his person.
Some where on a sheet of silver
Glides a young man always smiling
Like a bird released from his cage
Never with regret looking back

RIP Rick Rypien. Forever a Canuck #37.

Thanks, Vintage Canuck. Beautiful writing, dude.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#445 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Try using the top one more, and the bottom one less.

Posted Image

or in his case, the ass.

#446 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

RIP Rypper. A sad, sad day.
I can't believe how callous some people can be. It's really disappointing.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#447 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Rick Rypien was adept at using both fists,unfortunately, they lost in the end with his personal battle with depression.A great teamate and competitor (especially loved by AV).....RIP RR.

#448 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

really really sad news....

i was at the gym, and it showed his birthday-passing day caption on the TV. i was in absolute shock..

absolutely ruined my day.. soooo sad, one of my fav canucks.. 

RIP Ripper, you will be dearly missed. :(

Edited by sam13371337, 16 August 2011 - 11:54 AM.

Fire MG

#449 74Hunter74

74Hunter74

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

Do a search and find the Chris Benoit thread. and you guys bash him and call him names and coward, yet he had issues and killed himself, but sadly he also took his wife and kids life too. But it was proven, that Doctors point to "tangible evidence" that ex-wrestler Chris Benoit suffered from a dementia that so impaired his judgement that he killed his wife and son before taking his own life.

But because he isn't associated with the Canucks, you all totally bashed him.

#450 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Do a search and find the Chris Benoit thread. and you guys bash him and call him names and coward, yet he had issues and killed himself, but sadly he also took his wife and kids life too. But it was proven, that Doctors point to "tangible evidence" that ex-wrestler Chris Benoit suffered from a dementia that so impaired his judgement that he killed his wife and son before taking his own life.

But because he isn't associated with the Canucks, you all totally bashed him.

Benoit took other people's lives in the process. No excuses for that, no matter how talented he was in-ring or how much respect he had in the WWE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.