The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bettmans revenge, Budweiser

Sonar64

As I said, no matter how many brands they carry they will never please everybody.

The "official beer" is the company willing to put up the sponsorship to be the official provider. If a brewery offered you say a million a year to be your official provider would you honestly say, "No thanks I want to serve from micro breweries who pay me nothing."

From a business perspective having a smaller selection makes inventory control less of a headache. With 19,000 people the inventory you'd have to carry to offer 20 options would be immense. It's not the same as a pub that seats 100. Taking inventory, ordering, inventory control, the more brands you carry for 19,000 customers the greater the work and the headaches.

Me, I'm pretty happy with a Bud. (just let me know which game the Bud Girls will be at) Or pretty much any run of the mill beer is fine. If you don't like the beer they serve don't buy one. You can actually watch a game without beer. I know. I've managed that incredible feat many times.

You clearly didnt read my post . Isaid 5% , probably less really, of Belgian beers are sour swill. The other 310 of them are golden masterpieces... And it was a critique on all the sour brown ales u get here in Canada that make Ur stomach turn after 3...

Oh believe me I understand it. I just think that with the decrease in market share of the Macro brands, and the massive increase in interest of craft breweries, perhaps it's a trend they should look into. ABInbev owns some pretty cool breweries (Goose Island probably receiving the highest accolades of any of them). it's just that their focus is obviously going to be on their biggest brands in an attempt to regain precious market-share that they're currently losing.

Seattle, Boston, New York, Philadelphia are all cities with pro sports venues that have LARGE craft beer selections... I hope that Vancouver is not far behind.

The sponsorship deal isn't with ABInbev, it's with Labatts. Thus only Labatts products. The only exception being the Stanley Park Amber which is distributed by Mark Anthony Brands the largest wine distributor in Canada. Guess who has the contract for wine and coolers for the Canucks.....Mark Anthony Brands. Stanley Park Amber is included as part of their contract. They also distribute Mikes Hard. It does kind of surprise me that Stella isn't offered as it's a Labatts product as well. But then, so is Kokanee and several others. Which brings me back to a likely case of limiting options to keep inventory headaches to a minimum.

So you see the brands offered are the ones that have paid the price to be offered. Which makes it unlikely you'll be seeing your micro favs any time soon. Or at least until the current deals expire.

I look at going to a game as similar to going to a friends place. When a friend says, "Want a beer?" I don't ask what he has, I just say sure. Although I do check what it is before I start drinking it. I don't like surprises that much.

I guess people like their light beer. It's ridiculous that all the bars are still charging the same price. Well, i guess it's still pretty dirt cheap, but still. It was my go to crap beer because if you're drinking crap beer, it may as well be strong. Now I'm drinking Rainier instead, but I'm still looking for something. I like the new Howe Sound Lager, but it's too $$$ for the fridge staple.

The sponsorship deal isn't with ABInbev, it's with Labatts. Thus only Labatts products. The only exception being the Stanley Park Amber which is distributed by Mark Anthony Brands the largest wine distributor in Canada. Guess who has the contract for wine and coolers for the Canucks.....Mark Anthony Brands. Stanley Park Amber is included as part of their contract. They also distribute Mikes Hard. It does kind of surprise me that Stella isn't offered as it's a Labatts product as well. But then, so is Kokanee and several others. Which brings me back to a likely case of limiting options to keep inventory headaches to a minimum.

So you see the brands offered are the ones that have paid the price to be offered. Which makes it unlikely you'll be seeing your micro favs any time soon. Or at least until the current deals expire.

I look at going to a game as similar to going to a friends place. When a friend says, "Want a beer?" I don't ask what he has, I just say sure. Although I do check what it is before I start drinking it. I don't like surprises that much.

If it's cold, I'm all good. Nothing like a game and a cold beer.

What is it about putting other people down for their tastes? If someone likes Canadian, so what? Kokanee? Who cares? You don't have to "be experienced" to know what you like. I have probably had 75+ beers in my lifetime and my favorites are ice, cold Bud light Lime and Ice cold Corona with a lime twist. Just beacause I don't drink Granville Island Extra Frothy Bird Sh!t Stoudt doesn't mean that I am an inexperienced drinker, it means I know what I enjoy.

If you want to drink your favorite beer stay home and do it. Who goes to a game just to drink beer? I'll take your tickets and an ice cold Bud any day!

towel.gif2e6c8lc.png

Go with Cariboo. It's 5.5% and tastes like water. It's also cheap; at a private liquor store in Coal Harbour, chilled, it was $31 tax in. for a 15 case.

Shotgunning ice cold? Do you like your esophageal lining? I assume you're shotgunning to get trashed ASAP. Take a beer out of the fridge/cooler and put it in your back pocket for a good couple of minutes before you shotgun. It'll go down much faster and smoother. It also allows for a shorter recovery time. Thank me later.

As for the topic, I've had the privilege to go to many a Canuck game in the past couple of years. I've purchased but a single Molson and it was during the playoffs a few months ago. I just can't justify paying $8.25 (or whatever it is now) for what amounts to less than a can of a beer I can get for $2 (let me qualify this by saying I am a very poor student). My hard earned cash is better spent on a delicious, extremely (un)healthy poutine at Costco pre-game.

For the record, Moosehead.jpg is where it's at.

There's no snobbery to it, it's just asking for a little variety. Do you only eat at McDonald's? do you only want compact cars to drive? if you go into a liquor store and they have 500 different wines to choose from, no body bats an eyelash. But walk into a liquor store and see if they have more 10 beers that don't fall into the macro-lager category and you get looked at sideways. Thankfully people are beginning to change that and restaurants are putting as much efforts into their beer lists as much as their wine lists. Mind you, We beer nerds are a passionate bunch and are rather vocal about our obsession with it. We want beer to be made the way it used to be...

and as far as being "elegantly wasted", I can't remember the last time I got hammered.... and now I have that INXS song stuck in my head. thanks....

to say that beer is just beer and call everyone idiots is dismissive. That's like saying pasta is pasta and then eating nothing but Kraft Dinner.

Ur absolutely right +10...

Lets revisit Belgian beers . Hoegaarden, pronounced who-hard-en by the way, is a white beer spiced with coriander. I happen to think its excellent with food but not everyone likes it.

Bellevue Kriek is a beer made with cherries. This variety is made with a syrup but the original was made in oak barrels with real cherries... Obviously very fruity, and commonly called a girls beer there. Bellevue also makes a raspberry variety.

Tripels are usually of higher strength... 8% alcohol or higher . Very distinct taste . I think we have karmeliet tripel ...

All these can be found here and I encourage you to check them out... Its all very distinctive...

Archived