The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Between you and me, Sharp never knew quite as much as he thought he did. Of course, there may not be a man on earth who knows as much as Sharp thought he knew...

Any Andrew Bird fans here? Listening to Hands of Glory right now - his second album of the year. I think this may be out-takes of Break It Yourself. A bit more low-fi...almost sounds like one of his live albums. I'm totally diggin it.

My favourite song off of BIY (and possibly song of the year) is Orpheo Looks Back. (The violin work on that is among the best I've ever heard.) But on this one, there is a stripped-down version simply called Orpheo. Although missing the string-virtuosity, the rest of the song is haunting - dare I say better? Maybe not, but I'm wondering if both versions make my Top 10...

New Flyleaf album (Oct 30th) is pretty great, much better than their last outing (an EP I think), Great Love in particular

New Kamelot album (Oct 27th) is good as well, though I haven't had a chance to listen to it a whole lot yet. Despite having a new singer, I'm liking the music.

Between you and me, Sharp never knew quite as much as he thought he did. Of course, there may not be a man on earth who knows as much as Sharp thought he knew...

Any Andrew Bird fans here? Listening to Hands of Glory right now - his second album of the year. I think this may be out-takes of Break It Yourself. A bit more low-fi...almost sounds like one of his live albums. I'm totally diggin it.

My favourite song off of BIY (and possibly song of the year) is Orpheo Looks Back. (The violin work on that is among the best I've ever heard.) But on this one, there is a stripped-down version simply called Orpheo. Although missing the string-virtuosity, the rest of the song is haunting - dare I say better? Maybe not, but I'm wondering if both versions make my Top 10...

Ty Segall Band literally sounds like Led Zeppelin meets Sonic Youth meets The Germs, all on acid.

While I dig that solo stuff, the band material is so much more full, and there are SOOO many influences being pulled in and displayed. DEAD influences, too! Seriously, when was the last time you heard a good punk album? That late 90s-early 00s "pop punk" explosion literally killed the entire genre. When was the last good garage rock album that wasn't just more of the same White Stripes type of stuff? Blues rock became boring after The Black Keys starting scoring car commercials.

This stuff is so old school, yet so fresh sounding at the same time.

I can only assume that question is rhetorical? Why would I invite you to use an obsolete program?

It's not only still around, but you find everything on it. I'm rarely, rarely blanked when I look for something, and when I am, it's usually so obscure (specific bootlegged shows, so forth) that it's not surprising.

Ty Segall Band literally sounds like Led Zeppelin meets Sonic Youth meets The Germs, all on acid.

While I dig that solo stuff, the band material is so much more full, and there are SOOO many influences being pulled in and displayed. DEAD influences, too! Seriously, when was the last time you heard a good punk album? That late 90s-early 00s "pop punk" explosion literally killed the entire genre. When was the last good garage rock album that wasn't just more of the same White Stripes type of stuff? Blues rock became boring after The Black Keys starting scoring car commercials.

I've never really listened to much Black Lips, but the singer has a side project called "Ghetto Cross" with Bradford Cox, and their debut is supposed to be out this fall. Always felt like I should give them a try.

Vangaalen is legit.

VanGaalen is very Kurt Vile to me. When he's good, he's amazing, but when he's bad it's intolerable.

I don't want to just be that guy, but the Kendrick Lamar album is actually pretty solid.

Not 2012, but, are you aware Jon Gomm exists? If not, go do

Andrew Bird is getting progressively less adventurous and sliding more into a niche older dude folk mentality. It's not that anything he did on Noble Beast, Break It Yourself or Hands of Glory is bad or anything, but his stuff with Bowl of Fire and his first few albums under just Andrew Bird blow anything he's done in the past few years out of the water.

Archived