The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Any Bonnie 'Prince' Billy fans here?

He's so prolific under a billion names, that it's safe to say 50% of his output is pretty unimpressive, if not totally dry. He appears in the most random places, too. Apparently he's good friends with Zach Galifinakis (or however you spell it), and was in the last Jackass movie for no real reason other than to just stand around, as far as I remember

but when he gets it right, I love it.

One or two new albums this year, so I'm psyched.

And two new Mount Eerie albums due, too! His work as The Microphones was marvelous. And his folk stuff as Mount Eerie was amaaaaaaazing too.

Unfortunately his two new albums are following his "drone metal" phase, which just doesn't interest me at all. Kinda disappointed by that.

i just find those songs to be either really cheesy or too angsty. i really hate all of Pablo Honey, and they remind me of that album. High and Dry just sounds like a Coldplay song to me.

looks like the Beach House album might be out in a few months. their last two albums have been so amazing..Teen Dream is practically a perfect album in my eyes.

new Springsteen is "available."

On my second listen now, and while I do enjoy it, some songs definitely stick out more than others for me, but they've all got that Boss feel to them.

It's better than I had expected, but probably not much better than a 7/10 for me.

Still hoping he comes out here for a tour though. I'm willing to pay top dollar for that one.

Question: What is the best resource for a listing of local concerts and music festivals?

A few of my close friends haven't let me live down the fact that I didn't go to Sasquatch with them a couple of years ago, so I've decided to go to a big outdoor music festival this year (can't get time off work for Coachella though).

^ i think that last.fm is the best place to find out about concerts and festivals

basically you can import all your "plays" from itunes into it, and then it tells you, based on what music you listen to, what shows are going on around you. it's perfect, really.

Going through the new Sleigh Bells now. Don't like it so far...at all. And I loved their debut.

The first track is complete throwaway crap. Crush is OK, but it's not in the same league of Tell 'Em, Rill Rill, etc. Most of it is a stale rehash of Treats.

That's the problem with a gimmick. When it's new and fresh, it's great. But by the next album, you better either mix it up with a completely new slant, or elevate the songwriting to new heights (the latter is what kept the White Stripes relevant...at least for a couple more albums).

Question: What is the best resource for a listing of local concerts and music festivals?

A few of my close friends haven't let me live down the fact that I didn't go to Sasquatch with them a couple of years ago, so I've decided to go to a big outdoor music festival this year (can't get time off work for Coachella though).

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet but the new Arctic Monkeys song is freaking awesome. I've been listening to it non-stop since it came out. The video is pretty badass too.

I really like the new Sleigh Bells record too. I loved their first album but I kinda of expected them to just fade away after. Reign of Terror almost kicks as much ass as Treats though.

Archived