The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Someone Post Cody Saying He Wanted To Get Traded?

Guest Gumballthechewy

I'm not going to deny that the evidence is entirely circumstantial. No, we do not have Hodgson or Gillis, or someone speaking on their behalf, that outright confirms what many of us suspect. No, we don't have surveillance footage that indisputably proves that a trade was asked for.

That does not mean that it didn't happen.

You cannot simply dismiss the circumstantial. There is more than enough to very reasonably conclude that something happened in this situation, even if we don't know all the exact details. How can we reconcile Hodgson's reaction with the fact that his camp may have requested a trade? Well, first and foremost, I'd love to know why they have to be mutually exclusive. There are many possibilities as to why it happened the way it did.

So, do I think Hodgson outright hated Vancouver and demanded a trade like a whiny little ... you-know-what? Probably not. But do I think Vancouver traded him just for the hell of it? Not bloody likely, at all. It's probably somewhere in the middle. But, even if that's the case, it does portray Hodgson in a different light for many of us, and I think that's understandable.

We love the Canucks. It's hard to understand a player that, to whatever degree or for whatever reason, was not happy playing here. And that's where most of the backlash (which has been pretty minimal, in my opinion), has come from.

I will preface my post on this situation by stating that i was extremely disapointed and pissed off when i heard the trade on deadline day. I believe the moves made have marginally made us a better team and I think it is curious that after the problems we faced in last years playoffs regarding scoring that we would trade away Hodgson and replace him with Pahlsson (3 goals) and depth in Kassian and Gragnani.

The fact there has been so much reported speculation regarding the Hodgson camp wanting to be traded, more ice time, disdain for Vigneault`s stupid statements regarding the so called fake injury makes it easy to understand that things were extremely tense between Hodgson and Vigneault. I,m not sure why Vigneault had such a hate on for Cody but whatever the reasoning, safe to assume that MG had come to agree with it. All this after drafting the kid he wanted and glowing about his intelligence and character.

So what changed! IMO Coho`s history has some tell tale signs. It is fact that Hodgson`s family had made it public that he would not play for certain teams thus enabling Brampton to get him in the OHL draft. (not that big a deal as this happens often). The back injury he sustained while training with Dave Gagner was diagnosed by not only the Canucks doctor but the first doctor Cody saw when he returned to Ontario as minor in nature. Starting 2011-12 season Cody had fired 2 doctors, 1 trainer (Gagner), 3 agents, had allegedly asked a cup contender for a trade or more ice time and floated through many games with the Moose. Starting to see the picture!!

Ìn summary... Hodgson is a very good young player and would have been the natural replacement for Henrik in 4-5 yrs but apparently too much water was under the bridge and the Hodgson camp were going to be a problem going forward as they were hardly looking patient in a 3rd line and secondary role. (Henrik at 21 averaged 12:48 and had 36 pts sound familiar) In the end MG did what made sense he managed his assets going forward and filled an organizational need in toughness on the wing and defensive depth. I think Avelanche is onto something when he states that Cody`s dad and his agents were being overbearing. The reaction of Cody regarding his trade is genuine in my opinion and the fact that he had worked with Claude Lemieux to get over the amazing amount of baggage he had accumulated speeks to this. In the end Cody had to own what was going on and this is why he is no longer a Canuck.

My friend who works at Mac met Weise the other day and asked him about the CoHo trade and Weise said that Cody was heartbroken when he heard of the trade and all he asked for was extra ice time and requested playing wing with Kesler. Also said Cody was absolutely adored in the locker room.

I have no pics so the "pics or it didn't happen comments" can be ignored.

Choose to believe me or not, just what a good friend told me!

My friend who works at Mac met Weise the other day and asked him about the CoHo trade and Weise said that Cody was heartbroken when he heard of the trade and all he asked for was extra ice time and requested playing wing with Kesler. Also said Cody was absolutely adored in the locker room.

I have no pics so the "pics or it didn't happen comments" can be ignored.

Choose to believe me or not, just what a good friend told me!

Oh man, reading that just breaks my heart because I know it's true. Thank you for sharing, and I do believe you, because it makes sense, all Cody wanted was to contribute more to this team and we shot him down and traded him away, unbelieveable. Im still getting over it believe it or not.

Oh man, reading that just breaks my heart because I know it's true. Thank you for sharing, and I do believe you, because it makes sense, all Cody wanted was to contribute more to this team and we shot him down and traded him away, unbelieveable. Im still getting over it believe it or not.

Archived