The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stressed? Consider Going Vegetarian

-Vintage Canuck-

Vegetarian Diet Could Make You Happier And Less Stressed, Study Shows:

Omnivores, take note: Embracing a vegetarian diet could make you happier and less stressed, according to new research published in Nutrition Journal.

The reason comes down to fatty acids: Diets that include meat and fish are higher in arachidonic acid (AA), an animal source of omega-6 fatty acids. Much of the meat Americans eat today is quite high in AA: The average omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acid profile of modern grain-fed meat is 5 times higher than grass-fed meat, like our ancestors ate. And previous research has shown high levels of AA can cause mood-disturbing brain changes.

High-fish diets also mean higher levels of long-chain, or omega-3 fatty acids, like eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Both EPA and DHA combat the negative effects of AA. High dietary levels of omega-3 fatty acids are linked to better brain health, better mood and a host of other health benefits. Most health experts recommend an omega-6/omega-3 ratio of about 4:1.

In theory, then, frequent fish eaters should have be protected against the damaging effects of AA because of their higher intake of omega-3 acids. But an earlier study found omnivores reported significantly worse moods than vegetarians, despite higher intakes of EPA and DHA.

In this follow-up study, 39 meat-eating participants were assigned to one of three diets. A control group ate meat, fish or poultry daily; a second group ate fish 3-4 times weekly but no meat; and a third group ate strictly vegetarian. After two weeks, mood scores were unchanged for the fish- and meat-eating groups, but vegetarians reported significantly better moods and less stress.

After two weeks on a vegetarian diet, participants had “negligible amounts” of EPA, DHA and AA in their bodies. Fatty acid levels in the control group were unchanged. Participants in the fish eating group showed 95 to 100% higher levels of EPA and DHA fatty acids—but their omega-6 to omega-3 ratios were still heavily skewed toward omega-6′s.

To work plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids (called ALA) into your diet, try chia seeds, hemp seed, cauliflower and purslane.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/11/vegetarianism-stress-happiness-_n_1335664.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

I've got a minor eating disorder, worrying about what I eat causes me an incredible amount of stress. Trying to stick to any kind of diet is brutal for me.

Maybe this could help people who are not me, though. :)

How about "suffering any sort of degenerative disease?"...

lens18471168_1316223727Forks_Over_Knives.jpg

A Synopsis of Forks Over Knives

Proof that a Vegan Whole Food Diet is Our Most Powerful Weapon in the Fight for Good Health

A must see for fans of Food, Inc. and anyone else looking for the key to good health. This amazing documentary details how a whole food plant based diet can change your life.

This documentary details the findings of the China Study - a groundbreaking study that tracked the rise in degenerative disease in China in conjunction with the increased consumption of meat and dairy. At the same time, it follows the research of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, who also witnessed the results of an animal-based and processed foods diet on his patients suffering from heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some forms of cancer. When his patients eliminated these items, they experienced significant improvement. Several case studies also illuminate the same findings, following these patients from disease through health during the course of the film.

Even a meat-loving skeptic can not deny the powerful conclusion of the data shown in this documentary. The viewer will leave this film with the sense that their health IS within their control - and not in the pharmaceutical industry's hands. The uplifting tone and solid scientific evidence makes this a film worth seeing and even lending to a friend or two.

(From http://www.squidoo.com/forks-over-knives-best-vegan-dvd-#module153052635)

I personally think that if one doesn't want to become a vegetarian, getting your meat from the purest source would be the next best thing. Instead of Superstore discounted beef tenderloin ridden with antibiotics and preservatives, go for organic, grass-fed, ethically-raised meat. Tastes a hundred times better and is better for the environment.

Of course, a vegan diet would be beneficial for many, but in my opinion, I don't think it's beneficial for all.

Vegan and vegetarian diets are garbage. We wouldn't need to follow these insane diet rules if we would just stop over processing all of our food. Take out the antibiotics, steroids, fillers and over processed foods like granulated white sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Get rid of crap like that and we wouldn't have the issues we have today with our food (like heart disease and diabetes).

Vegans and vegetarians are not revolutionary, open minded or progressive, it's simply a dietary choice. Most people who live on these diets have to supplement like it's going out of style just to function on a daily basis.

Whole foods and less processed and preserved goods are the trick to feeling better.

A vegan who can properly follow a diet, and get all the nutrients needed, are proven to have better immune systems than us who eat meet.

Not sure I can give up meat, lol getting sick once in a while seems worth it, if i can eat chicken wings once a month.

Archived