Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

The "officiating"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#91 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Our team has been dog gone awful the last few weeks. We've lost some meaningless games. Who cares? All we need to worry about is being ready to go and healthy for the playoffs. The presidents trophy, along with the Sedin's Art Rosses have meant NOTHING the last few playoffs. Stop whining about the refs. Refs give us breaks all the time. I'm appauled that the first 2 pages of this tread are nothing but crybabies who really care that we lost a game to the wild. We didn't score a goal in a full 60 minutes and you guys are gonna whine about a few instances? I can understand bitching about a series defining obviously missed call, you know, like the san jose icing call we got in game 5 last year. You know, the exact same situation people were crying about to no avail when it happened to us versus Dallas this regular season.
Posted Image

#92 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Chronically make mistakes game after game....You mean like letting in a goal, rining a shot off the post, not taking the right man. Each and every hockey player makes mistakes during a game. Why do we not question their integrity or compitency?

In b4 cdc does that all the time. I know there are a good chunk of you that complain about officiating, but constantly let players off the hook for their mistakes.

Playing the sport and reffing the sport are way different things!
:towel:

#93 Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

You misspelt coke.

You misspelled misspelled

#94 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

DID BURROWS TOUCH KANE?

OHH YOU BETTER BELIEVE THAT'S A PENALTY

#95 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

:picard: Refs You are just......... shakes my head

m8itzp.jpg
Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#96 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I typically referee kids ages 11-12 select and I'm 13. Even though they can't see it from all angles, I too can't believe the quality of officiating.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#97 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

:picard: Refs You are just......... shakes my head

Though I agree with you, you shouldn't be talking and making fun of the refs in your signature unless you are a ref like me.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#98 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Does anyone else sometimes wish that AV would let these refs effing have it (like Torts does...or many other coaches) instead of just sitting there with a stupid smirk on his face?

If I am the coach and a guy does that to my star player, OR ANY PLAYER, I'd be all over that ref all game long. And if he tossed me, all the better. It's time to take a stand AV. Stand up for your players when it matters most.

I'd rather see it in game when emotions are high than using the press to make his point.

Edited by coyotecanuck, 23 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

"Who knows, the center ice ref might have had a better view than the ref 5 feet away."

#99 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I could care less what the rules are so long as they're enforced with consistency. Consistency is paramount.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#100 Schneids31

Schneids31

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have said this for years, that the officiating in the NHL is the weakest of all pro sports and the problem is it is accepted by the powers above in the NHL.

I am not talking about the ridiculousness the boys had to fight through all of last year during the run, in general. In the other pro sports ex soccer where do you see this type of inconsistency night to night, lack of calls etc.

1. NBA - do you ever hear teams complaining about officiating this much? Once in a blue moon, but seriously I never hear it.
2. NFL - the best in the world, they don't miss much and call it by the book, yet still let the teams play
3. MLB - strike zones differ from ump to ump but they are consistent within the game, ie the strike zone doesn't change - however in an NHL game sometimes a hook is a penalty, sometimes an elbow, sometimes not?
4. Soccer - well divers galore..so is tough on the refs...

How many times have you heard a comentator say, well the team has to watch out now, ref's going to even it up soon..ie the marbles in the pockets, they are counting penalties, not calling the game. We as fans have ACCEPTED this, thats the problem, we accept even ups in our game, we accept missed calls.

Hockey is a fast sport yes, but the amount of subjectivity refs are being provided with now is ruining the game. Garbage

#101 gragnanifan1

gragnanifan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

I think the Hansen call could have been nothing more than an honest mistake on the Refs part. They are human to, mistakes happen. If you look at the play it is an easy mistake to make.

have u noticed how many mistakes they have been making lately?

an ape could ref better
Posted Image
credit goes to allons-y
Posted Image NHL 13 GM Connected -GM of the Hurricanes http://forum.canucks...ed-league-xbox/

#102 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Haven't read the whole thread so if someone had already bitched about this then oh well. The officiating in this league is easily the worst of the 4 major sports.

First of all Daniel should have been given 2 minutes for boarding Keith, if not 5 and maybe even a game. Second, please someone tell me how a guy can do something so bad that he is suspended for 5 games at this time of year yet he is allowed to finish the game in which he committed the infraction?

How many times have you seen an infraction which leads to a major suspension where the offending player is allowed to finish the game? These refs are too afraid to toss players and it's going to lead to some very serious injuries. It already has.

People bitching for suspensions to Sedin and Keith are missing the real issue here. The refs in this game should be suspended. Take a page from the CFL who this season much to my surprise actually canned a few officials citing missed calls.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 23 March 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#103 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

I watch crappy 360p streams and even I can spot those things.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#104 spacekadet

spacekadet

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I agree that the reffing this year is horrible but I think in minnasota they just pick fans outta the stands to reff

#105 atillaMYhun

atillaMYhun

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

More bad reffing than some conspiracy, but no doubt if Keith gets 5 and a game then all the retaliation and after the whistle stuff would have been minimized and the Hawks probably wouldn't have gotten 5 straight pp and the final score may have been different.

But the ref is afraid to make a "tough call" against the Hawks in Chicago. (I know if WASN'T a tough call)

I remember (kinda, but I might be wrong) I think it was Kerry Fraser's first year and maybe even one of his first games in the NHL and he gave the Canucks 2 penalty shots in a game in either Montreal or Detroit. All I remember is Jim Robson commenting on how gutsy Fraser was for a young ref for making those calls. As it turns out he was one of the best. The guys today could learn something from him.

Edited by atillaMYhun, 23 March 2012 - 09:48 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.