The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Richmond Night Market To Compete With Old Night Market

DonLever

If they tack that onto the vendor's rent, then food/product prices will increase. If prices increase, there won't be as much business. Without the business, night market will close down.

If you're willing to pay the increase in price, why not just pay that $1 at the entrance and purchase products at a lower price?

I'm thinking of going to the Night Market in Richmond to grab some Takoyaki (Octopus) Balls, does anyone know which location has them? The new location sounds appealing because of easy access but the old location sounds bigger.

So you've been to the New one, what is your general consensus? Some of my friends are going to the Night Market for the first time and I want to bring them to the location that is bigger and more popular.

It was the same as always. There were probably 10 empty tents still in the back but those will fill up as the summer approaches.

Food was great as always, the only thing they didn't have was the famous "Dragon Beards", but they did have my favorite: The red bean cakes still. I also noticed there were a lot of Corn and those swirly potatoes on a stick.

As for the the new one. I haven't been but judging from what my friend told me and 4 others, I wouldn't want to wait in line for a price of $1 for 30 minutes and then only walk around for 15 minutes cause of how small it is.

Haha that's still illegal. You are honestly going to defend the point that these night markets don't sell illegal knockoff goods?

Last time I went, the first stand as you entered was selling nothing but knock-off toys. They'd clearly taken existing toys, used them to make molds, and then illlegally made the lower quality knock off products. Don't get me started on the MP3 players.

They've cracked down for sure. But when I was there last year I definitely recognized plenty of products that were clearly using unlicensed molds, branding, characters, etc... All of that is considered Intellectual Property theft.

I am pretty disappointed in how the Chinatown nightmarket has been shrinking each year for the last few years. When I went to a Richmond night market I saw too many wannabe thugs, congestion, and I didn't enjoy going to the location. Chinatown has a lot of tradition and I generally enjoy it as opposed to the Richmond market. The new nightmarket does not seem very much different judging by what you guys posted earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

That takoyaki stuff is pretty good in a mayonnaise and soy sauce kind of way, but if you really think about it, Octopus is actually quite tasteless. I'd go for the scallop or shrimp maybe.

Still though, I find the portions a little small for the high asking price. The only new thing that I like in the food market that was neat and different was this slushy thing with mango, condensed milk and some other stuff like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDWSNOlC-Rc&feature=plcp

Archived